I've been APPROVED!!

Michael Eak
on 4/1/09 8:30 am, edited 4/1/09 11:48 am - Largo, FL

I got the call from my Care Plus insurance, this afternoon after having to Appeal their first decission to deny me stating that Medicare didn't pay for Gastric Banding surgeries. And I got a email from my surgeon's office. I've been approved for the Realize Banding onto my RNY Pouch and my surgery date has been set for now as Tuesday April 21st. WOOOOHOOO!

The surgical team of Dr.Rehnke & Dr.Grossbard will be attending at the Palms of Pasadena Hospital in Saint Petersburg, Florida.

I made a difference in that my Insurance, Care Plus/Medicare denied me stating that Medicare didn't cover Gastric Banding and for that matter any Weight Loss Type Surgeries. I proved to them in my Appeal beyond what they suspected what a patient would do/go through to prove that they ARE Surgical Approved by Medicare and what is needed to get approval.

I got the feeling that I was their first client *****quested a Gastric Banding or any Weight Loss Surgery, through Care Plus. And I hope this will open their eyes and the gates, that these are Life Saving Operations.

Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
travelgrl
on 4/1/09 10:31 am - allentown, PA
congrats
kellybmomof3
on 4/1/09 12:20 pm
Congrats! 
Kelly B
297/247/165

Summer Slimmers Challenge!

Most barriers to your success are man-made.  And, most often, you're the man who made them.  ~ Frank Tyger
scorpiokutie
on 4/2/09 3:31 am - Baltimore, MD
Congratulations on your approval!!

Tiffany

Tom C.
on 4/2/09 3:50 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

GREAT NEWS !! SO HAPPY FOR YOU !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Vickie G.
on 4/2/09 9:36 am - AL
Congrats!! Got mine in 3/31and doing great! Wish you the best
2legit2quit
on 4/2/09 2:12 pm - MS
RNY on 10/24/12
Congrats  I'm curious.  I haven't heard of people going from the bypass to the band.  I have heard people going from the band to the bypass.  If you don't mind sharing, what would be the reason for this?
Michael Eak
on 4/2/09 9:26 pm - Largo, FL
This was our plan from the start of my Journey 5 years ago as I had gotten to 740 pounds. The Band was not covered by any insurance companies till the pass two years. Thus they also thought I should lose as much as Possible and when I plateau out or started to gain when my nre Gastric Bypass pouch (which caused Malabsorbtion) stretched it'd be time to place a band on to cause restriction. Mine stretched sidesway, that I can eat 2-3 cups before feeling full. Which we don't know were full till about twenty minutes after were actually full.

Thus the factor of putting the band on. To create a smaller pouch opening to stop the flow through so easily. Which can be tightened as required. I got down to 422 but regaied to 550 now. And Medicare now covers the Gastric Banding which inturn make it payable by the insurance companies.

Plus (which I've never had but) the banding is now praised as a cure for diabetes. Which most patients come off their medications within two months of receiving their banding. My surgeon now does 2 Bypasses a week compared to 25 Bands (Realize & Lap Band) a week.

I don't mind sharing as it may help someone in their decision to keep moving forward rather than giving up.
Mike.

Open RNY 5/10/06 and now
Laparoscopic Realize Banding. 4/21/09
9/1/09 I've rec'd 4 fills and lost 86 lbs. so far.
Check the www.obesitynomorefl.com Website Calender.
tommiejean_27
on 4/3/09 4:35 am - Sherwood, AR
Congrats and good luck!!
Most Active