March 20th is the day! I'm so nervouse. Need advise

achievable
on 3/2/09 6:19 am - Glendale, AZ
I'm so excited I have been going through the approval process for 8 months and finally got the surgery date scheduled (March 20th)! I'm really nervouse about getting the surgery the thought of going under again scares me to death. I really want to make sure I'm in the best possible shape before the surgery. Does anyone have suggestions on diet before surgery. My doctor didn't tell me I had to do a liqued diet, but some of my friends say it would be a good idea. Any thoughts would be great!
crystalglass_33
on 3/2/09 6:49 am, edited 3/2/09 6:49 am - Waterloo, IL
I did the week of liquid diet because he wants your liver as small as possible. If he goes in and it's too big he could cancel the surgery or you have to have an open surgery, yuck... Plus, it kinda prepares you for after the surgery when you can only eat liquids and then mushy foods and then eventually some solids. I wonder why he didn't tell you that you had to do a special diet the week before?

P.S. the going under part was a breeze, it's the waking up part that sucked :)
achievable
on 3/3/09 3:04 pm - Glendale, AZ
Thank you for the info :)
(deactivated member)
on 3/2/09 7:41 am
I have been told that weight loss tends to come off of the liver first.  So any amount is helpful.
I did a few weeks of low carb - Atkins - and dropped a good amount.  Then did liquids for 2 days before just to be nice and cleaned out!  I think it is hard to be on liquids and stick to it for too long pre-surgery.  Our bodies are so used to eating.  Post-op it is much easier since we have the small pouch, etc..  Good luck.
achievable
on 3/3/09 3:04 pm - Glendale, AZ
Good point! Thanks for the info!
Brittnie S.
on 3/3/09 12:33 am - NV
I'm having surgery on the 20th too! Congratz and good luck I'm sure we will both be fine. I'm on a liquid and veggie diet for 2 weeks before surgery I start it the end of this week. Hope all goes well for you!

achievable
on 3/3/09 3:03 pm - Glendale, AZ
Thank you! I hope all goes well for you too.
Most Active