Need info from those that know

darlene55
on 2/18/09 11:00 pm
Hello  This is my first post. I am considering a grastric band.Have medicare. My first question is ,from what little I know, after surgery one must be completely deicated to exercise and strict, strict diet. If so how is this helping  someone who hasn't been able to have control for years.
Is it the fact that you become ill? So this is  aversion therapy? I am 5'5" 250lb BMI 41.6
Tom C.
on 2/19/09 2:06 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Darlene,

Let me first start off by saying every Doctor is different, and will tell you different things. So what I am about to say may differ from others.

My Doctors strongly believes in order to loose weight, you will need to exercise. FOR HIM, exercising can be as much as parking your car in the furthest most spot in the parking lot - instead of infront - and walking into the store; take the stairs 1 to 2 slights, before stepping on the elevator; get up and change the channel, instead of using the remote; walk around your block, do the "little things". After a while you may feel better (or have more energy/desire) to do more exercise. If so, great for you !!

As for strict diet - Again My Doctor feels you can eat “almost" anything you ate before - but in smaller controlled portions. Firstly, the band will stop you from overeating. If you do, you’ll pay for it. Secondly, after the band some people can’t tolerate certain foods (breads, dry meats, etc). There are some foods you should stay away from (deep fried foods), but again it’s how much you can tolerate. But you need to remember, if you are going in with the idea of “I want to eat like I used to" you probably won’t be as successful. You will, more then likely, have to change your eating habits. I saw something recently, and it hit home - to be successful it’s 10% band and 90% personal. Remember, this is only a tool. You need to be in the “right mind set" to do whatever you need to do in order to loose weight. The band will help you, but won’t do the job for you.

I hope I helped you, and didn't scare you away. Please feel free to write me personally if you have more questions.

Again - this my my personal experience. Other's may have different views.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
darlene55
on 2/19/09 4:19 am
What I mean't  to say is that if you mus****ch everything , amount ,food exercise and be so precise why not do that now without surgery.  So the pain you experience gives you the will to finally eat right.  I realize I am a food addict. just like a drug addict. I will eat no matter. So the surgery WLS will stop me , right?
crystalglass_33
on 2/19/09 4:33 am - Waterloo, IL
Oh no dear. That is NOT the way it works. If you are a food addict you will have to go through counseling first. You cannot be a food addict and do this surgery properly. I myself, was just hungry all the time. My stomach would growl and I would get so irritated because I had just eaten an hour ago. Now I eat when I'm hungry and then 4 or so hours later I'm hungry again and say I eat half of a chicken sandwich and then a few hours later if I'm hungry I'll drink my protein shake or eat some kind of protein and then I'm good again. If you know you will not be able to stop eating then you must get to the root of that probelm before you get ANY type of WLS. Please, please, please. Let me know how everything works out : )
Tom C.
on 2/19/09 10:22 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Darelene,

I too am an admitted food addict. The band has helped curb my desires, but I also needed to take 'stock in myself' and realize I can't continue to eat the way I did - or I will fail.

Please remember, the band is only a tool. It's not the cure all. It will help with the cure, but you need to do things too in order to be successful. One thing you will need to do it realize WHY you EAT.  Some folks can do that alone, others need help doing that. That's where your nutritionists and Psychiatrists/Psychologists comes into play. You will need to see them before you are approved, and you may need to seem them after - until you are in control.

Kind of think of the band as a pacemaker. The pacemaker is there to help the heart, but if you don't follow the rules set by the doctor, then the pacemaker eventually won't be effective.

Know you have the support of many on this board to help you succeed. But YOU NEED TO WANT TO SUCCEED in order to do so.

Please feel free to call upon me anytime when needed. I've been in the boat you're in, and know too well what trouble waters you are traveling through.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active