Do you wish you had RNY

countesstabitha
on 2/17/09 8:58 am - Palm Harbor, FL
My mother had the gastric bypass surgery in 2003 - it was awful. She followed the rules and worked so hard.. it was sad to see her with dumping syndrome and hernias and all the difficulty. She has never been the same. She lost a lot of weight quickly, but still has so much trouble with knowing what to eat and feels like she is just a failure for not becoming one of the poster children for the surgery.

This month, I had Realize band... after a long struggle with my weight, I decided for wls - but knew I didn't want to have an experience like hers. I don't regret it. I've had no surgical complications so far and I feel great about my decision. Even if I only lose 50% of my excess body weight, I know that I will be healthier and the weight will come off slow enough for me to process it in my own head. Also, I'm taking this time to relearn how and what to eat..I'm also using this time to tone my body so that I don't have as much loose skin, if I'm lucky I won't be as saggy as I could be! *being honest*

Remember, studies have shown that banded and rny patients maintain the same amount of weight loss at the 5 year mark. It's all about long term effect, not just the short term getting to goal weight.

Good luck on your journey! I'm sure that you will be a great success no matter which way you go. :) 

Tabitha
mochasoul
on 2/18/09 11:27 am
No regrets and No dumping! 

There are so many WLS options, do your research and know what you are willing to do to be successful. WLS definatly isnt a quick fix. But your Quality of life can be drastically improved.

Good Luck with your decision
D-Lovely
Tom C.
on 2/19/09 2:12 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

I had the band operation on Jan 29, 2008 and I have lost 140 pounds so far - and I am happier then I could ever imagine. I have 70 pounds more to go until I hit my goal - and if it takes me another year to two (to five) I don't care. I am happy that I am skinner then when I was.

I don't think of this as a race. I know it took years to put on the weight, and it may take years to take it off. As long as the band helps me do it, then I will remain content and healthy !!

I researched all the options, and I don't regret for a single moment going with the Realize band.

Good luck !! And what ever you decide, will be right for you !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
(deactivated member)
on 2/21/09 4:39 am
I know the numbers are important to all of us - but let's not loose sight of the real importance
here - you regain better health with any weight loss.  Rapid weight loss has its' own set of
concerns.  Banding may be slower than RNY - but the end result is often the same...
I am in this for a better quality of life with every bit lost - not only looking for the big numbers.
Just something to think about.
hopelilly68
on 2/21/09 7:29 am
I choose to go with the Realize band b/c the risks are not worth the benefits . I think of the tortoise and the hare. Thank you for all your input I really appreciate it.

hope
Lynn B.
on 2/21/09 10:11 pm - Carrollton, GA
I am 52 years old and you are 25 years old.... I waited 22 years until they came out with a better system than the RNY...and I have lost nearly 60 pounds without exercise because to tell the truth, I have moved two households in those six months and changed jobs...but as I am moving into my newly constructed home as I write this to you, I advise you to do the lap band proceedure.  You don't have the wasting and need to load on protien the way you have to after the RNY....not to say it's a bad thing....just speaking from the perspective of a very successful Realize Band paitent...I am happy with my weight loss progress.... what you learn with age is that too fast doesn't give you the time to adjust your mind to your weight loss...and that's very important...I have a very close friend who is very fat now after she had the RNY surgery in the 80's ... she lost fast but didn't learn to eat well...  and she has tremendous health problems from it....but the band has the same issues if you don't teach yourself lifetime changes... this surgery isn't the answer to the mental issues you and all bariatric surgery folks face.... it's your mind that must be healed or you won't be sucessful.  Take care and I hope you make the best choice for your own health and happiness.... I lost this much weight in 6 months, and I put my diabetes in remission... 

Size Option: Large Small
Background Option: Light Dark

Cut and paste code for most boards and web pages:

bbCode:
(Message Boards code, FertilityFriend.com's boards, phpBB based boards, Invision Power Board, vBulletin...)

HTML:
(on MySpace, MSN, Web pages, Blogs...)

Facebook:
(Add your ticker to your Facebook.com profile)
Add To Facebook

iGoogle:
(Google Home Page, Google Desktop...)
Add to Google

Check TickerFactory.com's other iGoogle Gadgets for your google personalized home page, google desktop, blogger....

ezCode:
(on ezBoards)

Betsy1
on 2/22/09 8:25 am - NY
HI Hope,

I had my surgery April of 08'. To date have lost 105lbs.  I went from 335 to 225 to date, my personal goal is 175......my docs goal is 150-155lbs.........im more comfortable with 170-175.........So would like to lose about 50-60 more lbs..................

Every day I say to myself, gosh if i just did the RNY i would be done or close to (in my case).  However, I am so glad that I didnt have the rny i know personally lots of people that struggle, some dont, most do....thats just the ones I personally know.  But I am sooooo glad I did SOMETHING.  

Yes, slower, yes, less lost then rny (currently), but more loss then what I wouldve done on my own.  I have NEVER lost so much,  I toddled 50-60 lbs loss on my own then, you know how it goes, gain it back then more,,,,so either way its better then what we were/are........its all in you...if you dont mind losing slower then hey go with the band..but if its gonna make you nuts losing slow then go with the rny..........

It varies also person to person..my friend has the band, and shes lost less then me and she had surgery before me...but still losing..........same goes for the rny,,,some lose more or faster then others.....(from what i hear)....so its to each his own............

Nothing Tastes as good as being thin feels!!
Highest/ Current
335          185

Betsy1
on 2/22/09 8:25 am - NY
OOPs..forgot to say good luck either road you take

hugs
betsy

Nothing Tastes as good as being thin feels!!
Highest/ Current
335          185

Most Active