Do you wish you had RNY

hopelilly68
on 2/16/09 1:47 am
I am new and trying to decide between RNY and Realize band, here is some info on me I am 25 yrs old and weigh 310 surgeon who is very bias toward RNY said that I have 167 lbs to loose. I want to loose all that weight and I am afraid that I won't or it will take Foever w/ a band even though the thought of surgery where they chang your anatomy scares the crap out of me.

so my question is do you wish you had and RNY b/c you are unsatisfied w/ the weight loss that you have, had so far?

and has anyone lost 167 lbs or close to it in a year?

Hope
Greg M.
on 2/16/09 2:48 am - Cincinnati, OH
My insurance would only pay for a band or RNY, however, most of my research was for the VSG.  That is the procedure that I really wanted.  The weight loss is comparable to RNY without cutting the intestines.  With 167 lbs to lose, it's gonna take a long time with the Band...not that you can't do it but it would be slower than with the sleeve or RNY.  The sleeve is much less scary, there is very little malabsorption so the only vitamin you have to take is B-12.  You can eat most foods albeit small quantities and by cutting the stomach, the ghrelin hormone is significantly reduced thereby reducing hunger.  Most insurance companies won't pay for this procedure on first request.  Many people have been successful with an appeal.  I hope this gives you another alternative to consider.  Good luck with your journey!

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

Ashley A.
on 2/16/09 7:30 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 06/27/12

Hi, I was banded on 12/1 and have lost 45 lbs so far. There hasnt been a day where I say to myself I should've got the RNY..I just couldn't put myself through that. As far as weight loss goes. you will lose weight quicker with RNY im sure but I have seen people lose 150 lbs in a year with RNY and same goes for the band. You have to make it work for you. Any surgery you get is going to be a life changing experience and you will have to work to make the results happen. Good Luck!

Realize Band-12.1.08 Revision to VSG-6.27.12

Michael Eak
on 2/16/09 8:05 am - Largo, FL
I weighed quite a bit when I first started looking into WLS. So from the get go I first had the RNY now after losing 300 pounds I'm about to place a Realize Band ontop of my Gastric Bypass Pouch to help lose the other 300 as my body has gotten use to the re-routing.
stiletto6507
on 2/16/09 8:51 am
I wished i have the VSG done, but insurance would only do RNY or the band.  i did not want my insides rewired so i got the band.  as fas as i am concerend, if i just followed the low cal, low fat diet, stopped when i was full, and stayed on a workout routine i would not have had to have surgery. 

ShweetWahine
on 2/16/09 11:50 am
I have over 130lbs to lose as well and yes it is coming off slowly! I am against having something permanent done (maybe in hope a magic pill will show up one day lol) but I am currently 3 months out and only down 22lbs. They say it does take 12-18months to come off, so im actually on track in that sense. But I will tell you I have not been following the rules as much as I should be! But still, i am not sad or whatever about getting the band. I like that you are healthier, its not permanent, and... that i will not have flabby skin when im down my weight!

And one thing to point out, Ive been super stressed for about a week and a half and literaly have been eating the worst foods, candy, ice cream etc. and havent stepped foot in the gym and yet i havent gained any weight back!!!! So while id like to have lost half my weight already, i have no regrets!!!!
jimslim
on 2/17/09 12:01 am
I have a good friend who has the Lap band.  She has lost 130 lbs. in 11 months but I should add that she has a exercise regimen where she walks about 1-2 miles 3 x week.  I'm sure that has something to do with it.  However, every BODY responds differently.
Kae B.
on 2/17/09 4:54 am
I've only lost 22-1/2 in 9 weeks - I had no idea it would be so slow - and all the hassle with the
filling of the band is ridiculous - I didn't know this either.

It took me eight months to have the operation  - BCBS insisted on a six month medically
supervised weight loss - I went to two seminars beforehand and read the extensive
handouts, which did not mention fills and slow weight less.

I follow all the rules - it is very disheartening - I just had no idea how slow this would be.

Big HOWEVER, I was and continue to be not willing to take the mortality odds with Gastric,
which is 1 in 200.

I hope that once I get the fill correct it will go a little faster.  I also have to exercise more.
I go for my second fill in a week, changed it to an earlier date. No restriction after 3 days of
the first fill.

Good luck in your decision.

k
jimslim
on 2/17/09 12:04 pm
Before I decided to go with the band, I knew that I wanted to lose 10 lbs a month,  period.  And I did that on my  own for 6 months, 60 lbs, 10 lbs a month.  But then I went on a cruise and that destroyed me and gained it all back in no time!  However, in the same situation again, I would have the band to help control.

I have no illusions about the band.  I've already psyched myself up that this will be slower than RNY but if I can accomplish the same thing with the band as I did before, then I'm okay with it.

But different strokes for different folks.  I have to lose 130 lbs so hopefully I'll be as fortunate as my band friend who lost the same amount in less than a year.  I figure it this way......my surgery is 3/24 and, hopefully, I'll be 70-80 lbs down by Christmas.  But I'll take whatever I can get if it means good-bye to Type II, Hypertension, plantar fasciitis, and sore knees.  Maybe it's because I'm a little older than my younger peers and my priorities are a bit different. 

Look luck to you!!
crystalglass_33
on 2/17/09 6:40 am - Waterloo, IL
I do wish I would have had the RNY, I'm not going to lie to you but after 5 months, 4 fills, and only 30 lbs I'm getting kinda down... My friends who had the lap band have had much better results, if that helps at all... And I have 2 friends who had gastric bypass and they each lost almost 100 lbs in the first 10 or 11 months. If I would have done that then I might be half way to my goal :) That would be nice.
Most Active