Discouraged-not recommened for new banders

gcak9800
on 2/14/09 1:49 am - TX
Lap Band on 11/09/07 with
Well, it's been a really  long time since I posted, over a year, and maybe if I would have kept posting I wouldn't be so irritated.  I was banded Nov 07, lost about 25 pounds between preop and post op diets, then SLOWLY lost about 10 more over then next  5 months. In July I Finally hit my sweet spot, lost 10 lbs the next 6 weeks and then 10 more the next 6.  In mid Oct I went  back and had only  lost about 2 so we figured I just needed a little tweaking, to get me back to perfect.  I think she put in about 1cc which we figured would put me to just a little bit more than I had in July.  WRONGO!!!  Waaay  too tight, couldn't get solids down. So went back she took the 1cc out to let my stomach get unangry.  (I had los 6lbs in 9 days)  Went back 6 weeks later, had gained 7 lbs.  So this was mid January she added 1/2cc back which you would think would be perfect, I mean if 1cc was too much and she's always added in either 1/2 or 1cc increments then 1/2cc back in should do the trick, but I don't think it's working!   I can still eat more than I was back in the summer.  Which from history means I won't lose much if any weight.  Yeah, Yeah, I know just because I can doesn't mean I should, but I thought that was the point of the band to help me not be able to over eat!!!  If I had any will power  I wouldn't have needed to get this thing!

I guess what I want to know is what kind of regimen does everyone doing? My docs office really  pushes "eat until your full" but dang if my bands not right then what.  I don't drink anything 1 hr before, with or 2 hrs after a meal, avoid breads and dry chicken (they get stuck).

I am grateful for my 55lbs, but I have another 100 to go and at this rate... I'm not going to make it.

Thanks
Abbie

Greg M.
on 2/14/09 5:23 pm - Cincinnati, OH
Because you admit that you want the band to do the work and you still have so much to lose, you might want to consider a revision to VSG, DS or RNY.  Although you still have to follow the rules with those procedures as well.  Sounds like it might be time to take a good hard look at what you are doing, start logging your food, getting some regular exercise and just going back to basics.  Hope you can find it in yourself to do what you need to do.  Good luck and hang in there!

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

countesstabitha
on 2/15/09 9:18 pm - Palm Harbor, FL

Are you listening to your body when it gives you soft clues that you are full? I know that as I start to eat, after so much, my body starts telling me that I should stop - but I don't often.. the good part is that when I do stop.. I get a nice belly ache from it after (it is bad)..

Now, Im learning to pay more attention to my body. A small burp, hiccup, any kind of response from my stomach.. instead of thinking I am full.

Also, are you exercising? Remember, cardio will help a lot now! Getting enough fluids?

I wouldn't go in for a revision just yet - give yourself some more time and remember, the biggest benefit to losing this slower is that you are learning how to eat and keep your body at that weight! Make sure that what you're eating is not high in carbs but is in protein.. also, keep an eye on calories as they build up too (my surgeon's office told me to watch both, as part of my learning)

Hope this helps.

T

Most Active