First month post op questions

creativebond
on 2/13/09 10:06 pm - Havre de Grace, MD
I will be going in shortly - 2/24

My job requires me to travel- fly- pretty often during parts of the year. I HAVE to travel on March 18th acorss the country to Washington State- I will then fly 3 more times in 10 days. I need to know how I should best prepare for thsi time being just about 1 month post op.

Suggestions for food- knowing i willbe away from home and in airports and on planes. Also out working on location for 8-10 hour days. What can i bring that i can eat while mobile.

Suggestions- for handling pain - I am a videographer for US Army so I will need to be able to get around with my gear. I have people who will help me- sonothing heavier than 10-14 pounds.
what pain med is everyone taking?

Everyone talks about gas- can we take anything for that?

What type of exercise can I do?

thanks
KB
(deactivated member)
on 2/14/09 1:45 am
Okay, I'm a LapBander, but word has it that there really isn't any difference in our diets and recovery.  I'm not really sure about flying, as I'm a land girl, myself.  You'd have to check with your doc on that one.  By the time you fly, you won't quite be a month out, but close.  Will you be on solid food by then or still on full liquids and pureed foods?  If you can't yet eat real food at that time, I'd suggest getting some ready to drink protein drinks and carry them with you.  There's all different kinds...some fruity like crystal light, and some are thicker and have flavors like chocolate, mocha, vanilla...the list goes on.  Check out www.bariatriceating.com for a variety of ready to drinks.  They also have powdered drinks you can pour into a bottle of water and go that way.  If you're on regular food by then, you can take cheese sticks, yogurt, peanut butter packs (Jiff and Skippy make portable varieties), you could try soy nuts, but some people can't tolerate nuts that soon after surgery.  www.smartforme.com has lots of portable meals you can take along as well.  As for pain....you shouldn't need anything that far out.  My doc gave me liquid Lortab for pain, but I only needed it for a few days after surgery.  I was also told to take Gas-X for any gas.  I got the thin strips, because they dissolve in your mouth, so no pills to worry about.  For exercise, it sounds like you're going to get plenty of moving around in the field.  These are all things you really should talk to your doctor about before you have surgery.  He may recommend you wait for surgery until you have the time to properly recover and get your routine down.  It does take some getting used to.  If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
creativebond
on 2/14/09 2:50 am - Havre de Grace, MD
thanks great info - love the sites in the post.
yeah after march it gets into my busy time and i do not want to push this off until Sept/October.

How hav ethings been for you ?

KB
(deactivated member)
on 2/14/09 6:58 am
Things are pretty good so far.  Pork chops and my band do not like each other.  So far, that's really the only thing I've found that I'll not do again for awhile.  I haven't even tried bread though.  Not after the pork chop incident!  I go back to work on the first of March.  I'm a heavy equipment operator, and my job sorta beats the crap out of me, so I took a little more time off than I would have if I'd had a "desk job".

I don't blame you for not wanting to put the surgery off any longer.  I think if you're well prepared and have food items that you can take along on your trips, you'll be just fine.  Keep me posted, though, ok?
ShweetWahine
on 2/16/09 11:58 am
Hey so exciting to get the band!!!!

Flying-no problems. When you first get the band the only restriction you have is due to swelling which in my case was down within a week.

Weight Limits: I was instructed day 1-30 less than 10lbs 31-60 less than 20lbs.

Food: I had no issues with food, and was able to eat solids 4th day out of surgery! Now i know some people could not eat, so if thats you, then id say depending on what your dr allows, bring almost anything you normally would, just healthier versions! And of course bottled water!

Pain: You will be almost a month out by the time you hit the fields, so pain shouldnt be an issue. Only my port site was sore after surgery, and that was not an issue. Was off pain meds after 2 days.

Gas: take whatever is chewable. Even the generic walgreens stuff worked for me.

Exercise: i think just walking first month. no water or weights for sure!

Best bet of course is to ask your dr office, but hope this helps!
Tom C.
on 2/18/09 9:10 pm, edited 2/18/09 9:12 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Hey KB,

I was banded late last January (29, 2008), and I had my first flight in March (03, 2008) and I was ok. But make sure you ask the Doctor first.

On the plane, make sure you get up and walk around. I usually sit in the back of the plane - and talk it up with  the flight attendants and then I explain my surgery and ask if I can stand and walk in the back. They are usually very receptive (another trick - bring some boxed candy with you for THEM. Once you do that, they won't be able to do enough for you !!)

On the plane, make sure you drink plenty of water. Again, the candy trick may get you an extra bottle or two (it did for me). Also, bring some protein powder (and a funnel) in your bag.

For the days you will be away, make sure you bring enough protein powder in a baggie. I would scoop out the individual amounts it their own baggies. (STRONG Suggestion, make sure it’s chocolate or something dark in case it opens. You don’t want white powder leaking from your baggage - and try to explain it.)

While away, see if you can get a hotel with a refrigerator in your room. This way you buy yourself some skim milk, and if you go out to eat - you can store your leftovers. If not frig, a bucket of ice, on top of the air conditioner will do in a pinch. Also bring either a plastic shaker bottle or small hand mixer for your shakes (the Vitamin Shoppe sells a nice mixer for about $10.00).

You may also want to bring some oatmeal (not instant, the old fashion style) in a baggie - and a plastic container with a lid (to heat up in a microwave).

Hope this is helpful. Feel free to write me off line if you have any other questions.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active