Question and help needed..

julie16
on 2/5/09 1:23 am - crofton, MD
Hello to all I live in MD and have wanted to do wls for a long time. I am scared of the bypass since its so evasive.So thats got me thinking lapband.  I am curious does anyone know of any good docs in MD. I talked to my nutrionist and she claims that the band is not good as it has many complications and you will end up malnourished. I hope I spelled it correct . If not I am sorry. I would love any advice and opinions I can get....

Julie
wildheart63
on 2/5/09 2:44 am - IL
THIS IS NOT TRUE.....GO TO THE LAPBAND FORUM AND ASK THIS QUESTION AND YOU WILL GET MANY ANSWERS.....THIS FORUM IS KINDA GHOST-TOWNISH.
LORI

NaughtyZute
on 2/5/09 4:41 am - Climax, MI
There are many misinformed people out there.  The exact opposite is true of the lapband.  The malabsorption and difficult getting enough of certain vitamins and minerals is an issue with gastric bypass.  Lapband is minimally invasive and it's primary function is to give you a smaller stomach so you hold less food, feel full faster and take longer to get hungry again. 

As was mentioned though, your best defense is information.  The Lap Band System and Realize band both have excellent websites with tons of information. 

And as to the referral of a bariatric surgeon in MD.  I believe there's a find a hospital / surgeon function at this website.  If not, just do a google search.

If you don't like your life, change the way you're living

julie16
on 2/5/09 5:20 am - crofton, MD
Thank you for the info. I went to a nutritionist  yesterday and she wants me not to eat any dairy products or pastas. Wow I love cheese and dairy. I asked her about lap band she said no way there are to many complications. She said the main problem is manutrition. I am tired of being overweight and have done to many diets and lose and gain over and over. I appreciate your help and wish you well as I saw your surgery date. Let me know how you do. I hope all goes well with your procedure. I will say a prayer for you.

Julie
NaughtyZute
on 2/5/09 10:00 am - Climax, MI
Thank you.  You're in the right place.  Here you're going to get the straight information from people who have had the various procedures.  I've been overweight since I was six.  It seems like 38 was the magic number.  On any diet I tried I'd lose about 38 pounds and stop.  Two years ago I was working toward getting gastric bypass done.  In the process of doctor supervised diet and exercise I got really sick and it was discovered that I had an eleven inch cyst on my ovary.  Some other issues were uncovered and it was recommended that I have a total hysterectomy.  It was pretty traumatic surgery complicated by my weight and I was adv ised by my surgeon to avoid any elective surgery for a couple years to give my body a chance to recover.  So summer '08 I realize I can get back on the bariatric track and now two years down the road there are several more options besides just bypass.  I was a little scared of the bypass surgery because of the rerouting, the dumping syndrome, the malnutrition.  I regularly attended a bariatric support group in preparation for my surgery two years ago and heard the horror stories about heart attacks, leakage, infections... etc etc etc.  So I was thrilled to begin research lapband and find out it was just a much more natural way to go.  But make no mistake, it's a tool.  I have to deal with the issues that caused my obesity in the first place.  My problem with any diet, nutritionist, program has always been that when I go off the diet, stop seeing the nutritionist and no longer afford the program I go right back up to the weight I was at before starting.  Things feel really different this time.  Now it feels like my body is my ally in weight loss not my enemy.  I don't want to say anything negative about your nutritionist, but any diet that denies me something I love... I KNOW I won't stick to it.  I need moderation and I believe that's what the band is going to help me achieve as long as I am willing to work with it.  Good luck to you too.  I'm feeling absolutely fantastic and so happy I've had the surgery.   Sorry to have babbled on so long, but I wanted to share some of my journey with you.  Take your time and you'll make the right decision.

julie16
on 2/8/09 12:40 am - crofton, MD

Hello, I really appreciate your info its great. I would love to know more about  your procedure. Please give me any info you can. I wish you much weight loss and happiness to follow.

Julie

NaughtyZute
on 2/5/09 4:48 am - Climax, MI
Here's the link to the "find a surgeon" site on OH:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeons+ in+maryland.html

Mary B.
on 2/6/09 2:31 am - Southern, MD
Julie,
I think you should really check out your nutritionist. Her information is completely backwards...

I live in Southern Maryland...Calvert County. I chose Bluepoint Surgical Group. They are located in Woodbridge VA. They do their surgery at Potomac Hospital which has an entire bariatric wing and they are a Center of Excellence.

Since you are farther north, you may be able to find a good surgeon at John's Hopkins...there are many surgeons in the Baltimore area or DC if you are comfortable getting around int DC which I am not.

Good luck to you...
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

julie16
on 2/6/09 5:50 am - crofton, MD
Hello thanks for your info. I have thought about this for a long time and want to lose this weight. I am tired of diets that dont work..Potomac Hosp. is a long way and someone has given me a doctor in Balt. MD. I will look into the doc. I am very confused about all of this. If you have any more info please let me know. I wish  you well and hope you have a speedy recovery. Let me know how things go for you..

Julie
bornagain3
on 2/6/09 2:59 am - Scottsville, VA
Julie:

I have a difference of opinion with your nutritionist and Dr.

I had Realize lap band procedure done Sept. 29th, 2008.  I have lost 29 pounds, am off my diabetes medicine and my high blood pressure medicine.  I am definitely NOT malnourished.

This is a tool as others have said and you have to work with it for it to work for you.  I have not stuck as diligently to eating the portions and things I should and that is why my weight loss isn't bigger. 

All I can do is the best I can do and I know I WOULDn't be doing this well with out the procedure. 
My time off of work was only 2 weeks and I had no  complications.

Jeane
Most Active