Be honest -- when did you first eat solid food post-op?

NaughtyZute
on 2/3/09 5:18 am - Climax, MI
I'm curious.  My nutritionist had me start on soft foods during week two.  I'm now eating soft foods / semi-solid well chewed foods at 3 weeks.  I'm tolerating everything really well.  The most discomfort is the belching after eating. 

I'm wondering what other people's experience has been with getting back to real foods.

If you don't like your life, change the way you're living

aphephobicfriend
on 2/3/09 7:11 am - Ocala, FL
I think once I was on "mushies" (aka purees, soft foods) I started eating whatever I wanted and tolerated. I was pretty careful- but I quickly desired sliced deli turkey and things progressed from there. I don't see the harm as long as you're chewing it really well, I feel like the rules were established to get the majority of people fine with limited amount of specificity, or at least, that's how I rationalized it
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly!
RackeSRN
on 2/3/09 8:03 am - Florence, KY
About the same...once I started on mushies I was just VERY careful
bornagain3
on 2/3/09 9:18 am - Scottsville, VA
I also started experimenting about the 3rd week, but my Dr. put me back on liquids and mushies when I saw him again and said I needed to behave.

Jeane
Marsha B.
on 2/3/09 11:36 pm - VA
Post-op I was 2 weeks liquid (yuck), one week pureed, one week soft and then solids.  I've had my first about 4 weeks ago and now I'm experiencing some stuckage (a word?) if I don't really slow down, take small bites and chew well.  Stuckage is not good, really painful and a little scary.  Good luck!!!!!

Marsha

Jo Ann M.
on 2/4/09 3:44 am - Edison, NJ
I had my surgery on Thursday, March 27th.  My dr. called me every day during the weekend and on Sunday told me I could start soft foods like poached eggs, mashed potatoes etc. as long as it didn't bother me.  When I went for my 1 week check up he told me to begin eating whatever regular foods I could tolerate.  It seems to be working so far I've lost 85 lbs!!

Always, Jo Ann
        (but hopefully less of me soon )
(deactivated member)
on 2/8/09 12:18 am
I am almost 2 weeks post op.  I have had runny oatmeal, runny mashed pot's., etc...
yesterday I took a piece of deli turkey - a tiny piece - and a piece of mozz. I chewed them until they were mush.  It took me forever - but my craving was so strong - no problems.  I agree that
I think the rules are set for the people who may need strict explanations.  If you are very careful
and can turn the consistency of something in to runny mush - that can't be bad can it?
Most Active