1 Year BANDiversary reflection:

Tom C.
on 2/3/09 1:53 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I had my Realize band operation on January 29, 2008. This date is special for me for some many reasons. The main reason is because I consider this date as the date of my rebirth.   Going into the operation I was at the lowest point of my life. I was weighing the most I ever had (435 pounds - can't believe I will admit to this now). My weight made it difficult to do simple tasks both at work and at home. I stopped socializing. I hate not only myself, but the entire world. Many nights I prayed to the Lord to either take me, of help me find a solution. Well, with his grace, and a lot of research too, I WAS able to find a solution. For me, the Realize band was the best choice. I knew if I did not have this operation, my life would prematurely end.   The night before the operation I took pictures of myself. In theses pictures you can the anguish in my face. And in most of them I am “subtly" giving “1/2 a peace sign". As I said, I hate everything - mostly myself.   I was wheeled into the operating room just prior to 9:00 a.m., knowing I was in the capable hands of Doctor Abkin. What I didn't know was that the “old me" would have “died" at the moment I was wheeled out of the waiting area, and the “new me" would be “born" in the operating room about 30 minutes later.   For the first 10 months I lost over 140 pounds. Since November I have stayed (basically) the same weight. I will be honest, I gained a few pounds here and there (especially around Thanksgiving), but lost them rather quickly. I “cheat" every now and then, but I am also diligent in making sure I don’t get ‘too out of control’. For instance, instead of eating an entire 5 pound bag of Peanut M&M’s, I have a handful or two. I try not to “deprive" myself, because I don’t want to fail. I guess I am learning how “real people" eat. I still have 70 pounds to go until I hit my goal weight, and I don’t care how long it takes.   In this past year, I have come to realize many things. The one thing, life is a rollercoaster ride. There will be highs and lows, but the ride itself will be exhilarating.   The other thing I realized is that when it comes to WLS, no one prepares you for your gains. You gain confidence in yourself; You gain self worth; You gain relationships again (old and new); You gain a wonderful group of friend from the boards; You gain a wonderful outlook on your life and the future. Sure there are days when I feel like “a loser" then I stop and think where I was a year ago, and I then feel like “a gainer"!!   I know I wouldn’t have come this far without all your help. So THANK YOU ALL for your insight; motivation; knowledge, and kindness !!
Can’t wait to see what the next year brings !!  
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Melanie C.
on 2/3/09 4:43 am - Inverness, FL
Congratulations!! And thank you so much for posting this... your in inspiration... I have been wondering if I made the wrong choice in having the band over the bypass and this has made me feel alot better about my choice.. Thank you so  much for that...
bornagain3
on 2/3/09 9:20 am - Scottsville, VA
Wonderful testimony, Tom!  Thank you so much!  You rock!!!

Jeane
knailnhair
on 2/3/09 10:32 pm - Milford, NJ
Wow....that was so heartfelt and the story of mine and so many people who live with this disease of obseity. You made me cry, not in a bad way tho, in a good way.  I'm not alone.  You've been there, gone thru the ups and down, lost, gained and lost again and you're so inspirational!!! 
Thank you for this wonderful story!!!  Keep up the awesome job you're doing and HAPPY RE-BIRTHDAY!!!!!
Love,
Kimi
Marsha B.
on 2/4/09 12:04 am - VA
Thank you so much for that wonderful boost of inspiration!!!!!

Marsha

dyannajoy
on 2/4/09 12:36 am
The other thing I realized is that when it comes to WLS, no one prepares you for your gains. You gain confidence in yourself; You gain self worth; You gain relationships again (old and new); You gain a wonderful group of friend from the boards; You gain a wonderful outlook on your life and the future. Sure there are days when I feel like “a loser" then I stop and think where I was a year ago, and I then feel like “a gainer"!!   I know I wouldn’t have come this far without all your help. So THANK YOU ALL for your insight; motivation; knowledge, and kindness !!
Can’t wait to see what the next year brings !!  

((((((((Tom)))))))) thank you soooooo much for sharing your story.  It has come at a good time for me.  I have not had WLS done yet, but am planning too soon.  I went to a WLS  Seminar the other day and came home pretty discouraged.  All I heard was how hard we would still have to work and how it was not a magic pill and although I was not expeciting MAGIC to happen, I really hoped this would help me in some way, otherwise why bother?!  So this morning I have been worndering if it is really worth the risks to basically have to work as hard at it as I always have. 

You have given me hope.  Thank you very very much and ENJOY YOUR WONDERFUL SUCCESS!   Dyanna
Tom C.
on 2/4/09 3:59 am, edited 2/4/09 4:00 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Everyone - thank you for your kind words. Again, I wouldn't have been as successful if it weren't for the fine folks for you.

Now for Dyanna - please feel free to send me an personal email either here or [email protected] and I would be more the willing to give you my entire story - and see if I can help you. Not matter what operation you decide to do (or don't do) - I just want to see if I can be of any help.

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
jkwilso
on 2/6/09 12:42 pm
How many fills have you had?
Tom C.
on 2/6/09 11:04 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
One - back in July (after my 6 month review).

I need another one, and it's scheduled for March

Tom

kellybmomof3
on 2/9/09 12:30 am

Thanks for sharing your story!  I'm hoping to have surgery in April (my last insurance required PCP visit is the end of this month...then we have to submit the paperwork).  I never thought about all that I would gain, all the personal stuff.  Made me think!  And your pictures are great!  Congrats on all your hard work!

Kelly B
297/247/165

Summer Slimmers Challenge!

Most barriers to your success are man-made.  And, most often, you're the man who made them.  ~ Frank Tyger
Most Active