Am I intelligent enough??

dyannajoy
on 2/2/09 11:56 pm
Yesterday I went through the day long seminar for WLS.  The surgeon, Dr. Daniel Smith in Park Rapids, MN, told me that although he prefers RNY, that I was a good candidate for the Realize Band, as I was intelligent.  And the Band requires more initiative and intelligence to succeed than RNY.  Now I am worried, am I intelligent enough??

Will it really work??  It appeals to me for many reasons.  It is less invasive, safer, etc.  It is also slower weight loss so *less saggy baggy elephant syndrome*  And the fills are adjustable.  Yet RNY definitely appeals too.  No fills.  No sugar or will get *dumping syndrome*.  Easier to do in general.  REquires less effort and discipline. 

How did you all decide and are you happy with your decision??  If you had it to do over again, would you do the same??  Thank you for your responses.  Dyanna

tbines401
on 2/3/09 12:47 am - Columbia, SC
My 15 year old daughter decided for me because she research just as much as I did and she told me momma i want you to be around no matter what and the Realized band is much safer and I started to think my children have just as much right to my decision as I do. Sure I wanted to do the RNY because it seemed like a guarantee to my problems and the band I would have to work for. I don't regret my decision but I do work for every pound lost in my journey and my girls are right by my side fighting off the pounds with me. I also tried to factor what the doctor felt was best for me. A big choice and alot of thinking
Farmgirl58
on 2/3/09 1:47 am - AL
I am chosing the Realize Band because it is safer, less invasive, plus I did not want anything moved and rerouted.  I also made my decision based on my mother's experience and brother's experience with gastric bypass....mom had hers 10yrs ago, still throws up, has put most of her weight back on, and so did my brother.  Of coures, they did not follow the program like they were suppose to, eat all the wrong stuff, but talking to them about it is like talking to the wall. So, that is why I made this decision.  I would rather lose slowly, and be healthy, plus if there were problems, the band can be removed.  Although I have no intentions of that being done.  I plan on losing at least 80lbs by this time next year.  That is ok with me, as long as I follow the program, and excercise.
Hope this helps you with your decision. Everyone is different, have different reasons for taking the path they follow....only you can make this decision.  Best wishes....Farmgirl58
bornagain3
on 2/3/09 9:27 am - Scottsville, VA
I did not want the invasive surgery and had known some people who had had alot of problems with the bypass etc.

My recovery time from surgery was also big in my decision, I didn't want to take more than 2 weeks off.

Yes, I wish I could loose faster, but am already less than I have been in years, am off diabetes and blood pressure medicine and feel so much better.

I would like to loose 70 more pounds and know it not be easy.  But I intend to keep trying and am very thankful I had the Realize band.

Jeane   
Most Active