Realize Band vs Lap Band. Your choice was?

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/09 9:01 am, edited 2/2/09 9:09 am - Dallas, TX

Can anyone tell me why they chose the Realize over the Lap Band?

Was it a decision YOU made? Or was it something your doctor offered and/or recommended?

One of the doctors I am meeting with tomorrow apparently offers both. He has been doing Lap Band since 2001 and Realize since mid-2008. I am going to ask him the same question.

I have read some of the website postings about the difference between the two. So I have a basic knowlegde of the differences. I was hoping someone would say, "I CHOSE the Realize because.......(fill in the blank)..................."

Thanks everyone.

RhondaATL
on 2/3/09 3:14 am
I chose the Realize because the port lies flatter in your abdomen so it is less likely to be seen or felt if someone touches you. I also was told that people who chose the realize band with my Dr have been happier with their results. I just had my surgery a few days ago so I hope that helps you in your decision Brad.
pebsflint
on 2/3/09 4:01 am - Central Islip , NY
I chose the Realize because it comes in one size, less chance of getting the wrong size band and also due to the port being flatter
carolw1229
on 2/3/09 5:44 am
VSG on 10/18/17
I chose the Realize Band because:
1. My doctor recommended it and he really likes it for the web site support it provides to patients.
2. It has a lower profile port.
3. The port is secured with "claws" vs. stitches and has a less chance of flipping.
4. It has been around for as many years as the Lap Band, but only in Europe. It came to the US in 2007 and is now FDA approved.

They are really both very similar and have the same WL results. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Good luck!
Carol
bornagain3
on 2/3/09 9:31 am - Scottsville, VA
I chose it for the Realize web page, but seldom go there.   But I can't feel my port at all and have had good results so I am pleased.  My Dr. said it really didn't matter much.

Jeane
Tom C.
on 2/4/09 4:24 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I went with the Realize band because it's been around since 1985 (ok, back then it was called the Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band). Also there is less issues with Port Inversion and inflammation.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
TeddyTexas
on 2/6/09 12:47 am - Fort Worth (near Keller/Watauga), TX
After researching both bands, I decided on the Realize Band due to the same reasons that have been posted on this thread. I felt that the possibility of a flip might be somewhat lessened due to the way the port is attached. I am a self-pay patient and was interested in lowering the potential of additional future surgical costs.

The Realize Band web site appeared to be a bit better (IMHO) than the Lap-Band site at the time, and I was looking forward to the online support. However, some minor problems have occurred and they don't seem to be addressed quickly, so this is a bit frustrating to me. I don't use the site as much as I thought I would, nor does my doctor's office seem to use it as it relates to my care (even though I have given them permission to do so).

My doctor had no problem with which band I wanted to go with, but it was interesting that I had to ask if I had a choice in AGB types or not as a result of MY research. It doesn't appear that he makes it obvious that there is a choice. Other patients seemed surprised at support group meetings if I mention that I have a Realize Band. They had no idea there was anything out there but the Lap-Band brand.

Still, I am happy with my choice. Hope this helps.

Most Active