Protein Drinks

aphephobicfriend
on 1/27/09 12:01 pm - Ocala, FL

I have been really trying hard to get a ton of protein in, because I really hate the idea of losing my hair. Initially, it was harder with all the liquids but now I try to eat mostly foods rich in protein. However, I have caught onto the whole "protein bullet" thing- bullets, vials, shots, whatever you want to call them (also, depends on the brand). They're like 3 oz, and they sell them at places like GNC and the Vitamin Shoppe. They also sell them at Walmart, 1.97 a vial I believe. They range in protein from 26-54 grams, with no carbs and no fat and usually 100-150 calories. I'm not gonna lie, they taste horrible- though I have hated them less recently, I wouldn't think anyone actually enjoys them. But for me, it's like, 3 swallows- I can do it. Another one of my friends said she dilluted hers and mixed it with crystal light and was able to drink it fine that way.

As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly!
jimslim
on 1/28/09 10:36 am
Thanks for the info!   I'll probably throw it into some crystal light.  It seems like we really have to get creative.  I appreciate all the info I can get.
(deactivated member)
on 2/2/09 6:45 am
Isopure "Clear" comes in flavors - 40 g protein per bottle.  Heaven sent when you have had enough dairy!
jimslim
on 2/2/09 9:16 am
Thanks.  The hardest drink to give up (for me anyway) is diet pepsi.  Sigh...........
(deactivated member)
on 2/6/09 9:38 pm
Diet Pepsi, Diet Pepsi - where for art thou Diet Pepsi
jimslim
on 2/16/09 11:44 pm
I'm doing much better since I've drastically decreased my pop/soda intake.  I'm down from about 10 cans a day to one every other day.  I've noticed that when I do drink diet pop, my stomach churns.  Could it be the aspartame?  By surgery on 3/24, I hope to be totally liberated!
(deactivated member)
on 2/16/09 11:53 pm
I think the "fake" sugars are very hard on the stomach.  After my surgery I could not eat anything
with aspartame, splenda or any other of those "sugars".  I also became lactose intolerant
for a few weeks.  I am almost 4 weeks out from surgery now.  I can have some fake sugar things - but not on an empty stomach.  I have not had a DP in a month!  I had a sip the other
day and it really did nothing for me - big surprise to me!  You might consider preparing yourself
for any possibility after surgery and have some soy milk on hand to have with your protein drinks.
Isopure is the wonderful 40g. protein drink - again with fake sugar ( I seem to love that term :)))
I did have some things with regular sugar post-op just to regain my strength.   You never know
how much you may change post-op.  Good luck!
jimslim
on 2/17/09 1:34 am

I never thought about becoming lactose intolerant!  Thanks for the info!

Kassy201
on 2/3/09 7:34 am
I tried these drinks - love the grape!
Robert P.
on 2/26/09 12:38 pm - Pelham, AL
I ordered a bunch of different kinds of protein drinks in hopes of finding one I could tolerate.  I HATE anything that reminds me of Medifasat or Optifast shakes.  Yesterday I received my box of Isopure drinks.  I ordered the variety pack with 2 each of 6 different flavors.  I couldn't believe how much I like them.  The only one I couldn't take was the apple melon.  Way too strong.  The others are quite tasty, with no aftertaste, and they have the consistency of water.
Most Active