Protein Drinks

jimslim
on 1/25/09 9:59 pm
Hi,

I'm trying to stock up before my 3/24/09 surgery.  Any suggestions on protein drinks that are tasty and provide a good amount of protein?  Thanks.....jimaslim
carolw1229
on 1/25/09 11:42 pm
VSG on 10/18/17
There is so much variety out there. I found trying the sample sizes first is best. You can order samples at www.unjury.com and www.bariatriceating.com . I really  like the designer whey vanilla and chocolate at Trader Joes. I now make it into a coffee latte type drink each morning and drink it in my car on my way to work. Just try different flavors and find what works best for you. Adding sugar free flavored syrups really enhances flavors also. I have not found the protein drinks to have poor flavors or textures as some have. I actually like the protein drinks and have been creative in mixing them. Also, rignt after surgery I found the unjury chicken soup to be delcious and high in protein. I also bought a container of their unflavored protein powder so I could add it to my own homemade soups and it is great! Hope this helps. Good luck!
Carol
jimslim
on 1/26/09 12:34 am

Carol,
Thank you ever so much for that information.  I wasn't familiar with bariatriceating.  I get a little apprehensive because I'm concerned I won't get enough protein or nourishment without something getting 'stuck.'

stiletto6507
on 1/26/09 12:36 am
i all depends on your taste as well, isopure zero carb is good, it is more fruit flavored, i is that i used, its texture is that of juice.  i mixed it with water and juice.  i have now moved on to muscle milk LIGHT (it has to be the light 192cals per serving compared to 300+ for the regular).  muscle milk taste like a real milk shake, they have flavors suck as cookies & cream, banana cream, reeses peanut butter cups (they call it peanut butter and chocolate).  i only use www.bodybuilding.com  to order my stuff, good price, gets here quick.  i also tried that Click brand (the espresso protein powder)  its okay, i think i could make it cheaper with instant coffee and no flavor whey protein, its 192 cal also for two scoops.  be sure to by different flavors, i screwed up and bought a BIG container of the isopure alpine punch, come week three i was ready to kick that mess down the road, i was burned out on it something fierce.  also a good shaker bottle is a must, i like the blender bottle kind, it has a whisk ball that you put in the bottle that helps keeps mixed. http://www.blenderbottle.com/ 
God speed and good luck.

jimslim
on 1/26/09 3:26 pm
With all this good info, I know I'll get my protein.  Thanks for the advice and especially the blender bottle.
Nan1109
on 1/26/09 6:55 am
VSG on 01/25/18
 I'm a chocoholic and I love Premier Protein which I buy at Costco. I've tried a few others; I like these the best.

jimslim
on 1/26/09 3:27 pm
I'll check out Costco asap since it's quicker than ordering (which I'll do too).  I'm trying to get the most protein I can but I understand that the 60-75 mg should be spread out.  Thanks.
DelRae
on 1/27/09 12:52 am - Green, OH
I ordered from unjury.com and they were really wonderful - they typically ship in two days and their prices were pretty good.  I love chocolate - so I use skim milk, heat it for a minute in the microwave (warm - not hot) and then put the milk and chocolate protein in my mini processor to "froth it" - it is absolutely wonderful to drink in the morning. Even though I'm on solids now - I still do this for breakfast when i can - i have to hide it from my kids.

I did the GNC power protein drinks, but they were kind of thick and syrupy for me. I add about 1/2 water and they are ok - they come in fruit flavors and are great because you can just throw one in your car.  I also tried the new Slimfast lowcarb option - for a drink on the go - it is pretty low in calories and has fiber and 20 g of protein. I travel quite a bit so I need things that are portable.  The unjury powder does come in travel packets - but they only have strawberry (which i burned out on pretty quickly) vanilla, chocolate, unflavored and chicken broth (which is amazingly pretty good).

There were lots of proteins I looked at that were kind of high in calories - the unjury protein has about 80 calories a serviing and 20 grams of protein which is which I use to measure everything else.

I also learned you can't microwave protein - or mix it with anything hot - just warm - or it gets lumpy and disgusting.
Del Rae
jimslim
on 1/28/09 10:38 am
Wow....lumpy protein!  The things I'm learning before surgery.  It;s good to know there are travel packets I can take on vacation.  I would hate to have to spend all my time looking for protein.  Thanks a  bunch!
Kassy201
on 2/3/09 7:39 am
I've had that same lumpy thing happen to me. I guess thats why they tell you the water can't be hotter than 130 degrees. I do like the flavor of the Unjury Chicken flavored mix.
Most Active