Mourning food

lillybell68
on 1/10/09 8:44 am
I am 4 days post op and am mourning food.  I'm not hugary, but I see things I know taste good and I get panicky.  I've been dreaming of food constantly!  Help!
RackeSRN
on 1/10/09 9:24 am - Florence, KY
LillyBell, this is from my blog....just seemed so appropriate to post here  :o)   Think about it:

As we roll into the New Year and leave behind our former selves, I feel the need to reflect on all the changes and happenings over the past year.  Last night at my support group someone talked about a Vision Book and a Mourn Book regarding weight loss surgery and the drastic changes it makes on your appearance, personality and overall-being.  I got to thinking about what I would put in a Vision Book and what I would put in a Mourn Book.  She had said how it was so VERY eye-opening that the Mourn Book was only a few pages long and she was creating her third Vision Book in less than one year.  If I had to mourn leaving anything behind about being overweight it would be .....it would be......it would be......(wow this is harder than I thought....what WOULD anyone mourn about leaving behind obesity?????)  Okay, I mourn Chunky Monkey Ice Cream, and maybe mashed potatoes (I found out the hard way they are like eating wallpaper paste with a band and they just "glue" everything closed.....bad sliming experience....how do you "chew" mashed potatoes?)
I also started thinking about my Visions for the New Year and New Me:  not being the last one in the pack when the Cycle Club rides UP hills, putting on that oh so disgusting cycling spandex and thinking it actually looks GOOD  (okay, reality check-that day may NEVER come); hiking some of the beautiful hills and mountains of Southern Kentucky with my daughter and her friends and having to wait for them (as opposed to them waiting for me all the time); not minding putting on a bathing suit in front of friends, family or co-workers (okay; that day might not ever come either but a girl can dream right?); walking my dogs every night with no knee and hip pain....I can go on and on...but the fact is it is so much harder to find things I miss than find things I look forward to and can achieve.  When I made this decision around 6 months ago, I really thought I would be giving up so much in the way of food, comfort measures, coping mechanisms and lifestyle.  I did give up a lot-but I don't miss any of them (okay, I miss Chunky Monkey) because none of them were good things...they were all wrong or fall-backs because I didn't stop to think about a better way.  Sure, I KNEW the better way, and I could DO it; I just needed the tools, support and help to do it for life. 

Give it some thought, and I hope it helps, Sonja
lillybell68
on 1/10/09 11:26 am
Oh, that's wonderful!! I'm going to make my visions and mourn books tomorrow. It makes so much sense. Thanks!!
Liza
mochasoul
on 1/11/09 9:58 am

I just got my realize band on jan 5th, im doing pretty good. The vision and mourn books sound awesome. Thanks for sharing

Greg M.
on 1/10/09 7:05 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I used Egg Beaters to make omelets for my soft food starting back and honestly I use a lot of spice and actually prefer them to real eggs.  They are extremely low in calories and fairly high in protein (a winning combination).  Use garlic salt, onion salt, red pepper flakes (if you like a little kick), mushrooms, and other veggies when you are allowed to eat a full diet.  It works great for me maybe it will for you too.  Good luck.  Greg

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

bornagain3
on 1/12/09 9:36 am - Scottsville, VA
One of the things I have noticed is that if I do slip and eat something that I shouldn't it often does not taste near as good as I thought it would!

Jeane
Most Active