soups with lots of broth, chicken and veggies...

Magyargal
on 1/9/09 1:27 pm
I am a Home Health Aide... I am taking care of a guy who got the lap band just 5 months ago. He is always eating soups.. I mean the kind with chicken veggies and all.. He has been eating these soups for over 3 month now... The is a lot of liquid in them too! 

I thought we were not allowed to drink with our meals??? Isn't that kind of drinking with our meal? He has gained back all but 10 pounds of what he first lost 50 pounds .. He says they can't find his sweet spot with the fills in his band...I say it is the way he eats! He told me he told his surgeon that he eats soups, She told him it was fine.

He is always hungry! I told him I thought it was because the liquids in the soup were pushing the food though and that his stomach may have not had Chance to feel the food in it.. I know that sounds dumb! I just didn't know how else to put it.. Am I getting this right or is he OK to eat this? I will post this on the band site too. Alizka

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

auntennie13
on 1/12/09 1:01 am
The Band is designed to restrict solid foods, not soups, broths, etc.- even ones with other solid elements in them.  In my opinion, your patient should not consume soups for a while.  He should only be eating very solid food.  I had the Band in July of 08 and I know that for myself, when I eat soups, I do not feel restriction or satisfaction.  It just goes through like any liquid. 

Eating nutritious soup is fine, but if he is having trouble with feeling full, have him switch over to only solids for a while.  I think he'll see a greater success with solids.  I think he may just be having trouble "letting go" of food, so he eats soup in greater quantities to feel like he did before.   Visually, seeing a whole bowl of soup seems more realistic than seeing 4 ounces of solid foods.  Sometimes the hardest part of this surgery is just seeing the small quantity on your plate. 

Getting in 30 minutes of exercise per day is also crucial to success.  Even brisk walking will do the trick!

I wish him the best!
I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
Most Active