Can you feel your band?

mcneala
on 1/7/09 11:31 pm
I am new to this board, 3 weeks out from surgery.  I haven't figured out how to search the boards yet, so hopefully this isn't a redundant question.

I believe I have a Realize band, but was not told by the surgeon, and I forgot to ask at my last appt.

I have a lump under the incision near my sternum that is tender and feels similar to the port, but closer to the surface.  It doesn't feel like swelling, it feels like a hard plastic egg under my skin.

Is this something I should get in to see the surgeon about or is it normal to be able to feel the band? 

Thanks,
Amanda
Terry Cieniewicz
on 1/7/09 11:59 pm - Martinez, GA
I have not had the surgery yet but I have a few co-workers who have.  It sounds like your port but you may need to call you doctor just to make sure.

Terry

mcneala
on 1/8/09 12:55 am
It's definitly not my port.  My port is a lot farther down on my abdomen, and I can feel that as well.  This is just between my breasts about 3 inches down.   Thanks  for the response though!
Vicky S.
on 1/8/09 3:11 am - Taunton, MA

Hmmm... I don't feel my band at all, and was told that "no, you won't be able to feel it".  Could it be a hemotoma?  I have one on the side of my leg that still hasn't disappated after giving myself Lovenox shots after surgery.  It feels like the size of a small egg too.

"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be." ~ David Viscott   

bornagain3
on 1/8/09 4:44 am - Scottsville, VA
I can't feel my port and I had my surgery Sept. 29th. I think with the swelling I would definitely call the Dr.  don't want trouble with blood clots!

Jeane
wildheart63
on 1/8/09 5:48 am, edited 1/8/09 5:48 am - IL
it's swelling there is no way you can feel the band itself,the scaring gets hard to so maybe that also. i can feel my port,but not the band.you also need to ask them for the passwords to get on to realizemysuccess.com
good luck to you
lori

jla734
on 1/8/09 9:19 am - DE
  I have always been able to feel and see my port from day 1. When I lay down it kinda looks like an egg. I notice it more as my weight goes down and sometimes it even feels as if its moving around.

Farmgirl58
on 1/8/09 11:36 am - AL

Hi, a question.....did you have a hiatial hernia repair along with the lap band procedure?  Sometimes from what I have been reading on this site, the doctor will repair a hiatial hernia which is located just below the sternum. I have a hernia in that area which I can feel, which feels like a lump and sometimes is sore.  Just food for thought. farmgirl58

stiletto6507
on 1/8/09 11:40 am
its your port, i thought it was my band but when i had my fill i asked, the doctor said your stomach is so far inside that you cant feel it.  now that i have lost so much weight and have been hitting the gym i can really feel the port.

ShweetWahine
on 1/21/09 3:18 pm
Is it above your major scar sort of below where your rib cage ends? I had that too and it even hurt for 2 days. Dr said its actually fluid and scar tissue. Im 8 weeks out and its gone down tremendously. i too thought it was my port for a while and was freaked out lol.
Most Active