liver tests

Trey10
on 1/6/09 1:24 pm
so i had my pre-op blood work done and my liver test came back really high.  my alt and ast levels were between 6 and 7x the normal level.  my primary care dr said that it was related to a condition called NASH or fattly liver.  Witchis basically a concentraition of fat cells in the liver.  I know the liver size is crucial to a successful surgery and that is why it is important to lose weight before surgery.

my worry comes down to my surgeon's nurse calling me and telling me that my surgeon needs yet another pre-op appt with me. it is because of my liver tests and i am wondering if there is anything ir anyone who knows if liver function tests complicate band surgery or disqualify me from one type or another.  really right now, i am kind of nervous for tha appointment, and my surgeon is so busy that i have to wait a month to see him. 

anyone have similar experience or advice?  thanks.

"Normal isn't any fun.  I have fun."

motorhomemama
on 1/6/09 10:33 pm - Okotoks, Canada
Hi, my liver tests weren't that bad but when they did the surgery my doctor said I had a giant liver due to fatty liver  but he was still able to place the band well and I am doing okay with it.  Good luck with your surgery and jurney to a new and better life.
342/298/280175  highest / surgery  wtNov 19/08/ current/ goal
bornagain3
on 1/7/09 8:23 am - Scottsville, VA

All I know about it is that the surgeon told me to be sure and eat healthily before my surgery because if my liver was too large they wouldn't do the procedure.

Jeane

merryterry
on 1/7/09 10:05 am - AZ
I was told that a fatty liver makes the procedure more difficult to do as lap surgery because it won't stay put and keeps flopping over where they need to put it to place the band. Ain't that a scientific explanation? In that case, you may end up with lots of stitches and a much longer recovery time if your procedure has to switched to open. And may the doctor doesn't want to invest the extra time for that so she/he can keep everyone on schedule for the day.
It may be other thinks. There was an article about fatty liver in a recent OH magazine.

Do your best to lose as much weight as possible. My surgery went well because I managed to reduce the size of my liver-I was actually able to feel it and it did get smaller as I prepaered for surgery by eating better.

TamaraL
on 1/9/09 10:51 am
I have had high liver function test before. I was taking metformin which made mine high!!!   I asked the doctor about this and he wants me to do liquid diet before surgery. I asked if i needed to do the pre op diet longer and he said no.  Does your doctor do a pre op diet??  They do want your liver as small as they can.

Tamara

Most Active