Liquid diet after fills

hart1222
on 12/16/08 11:45 pm
What is the purpose of being put back on a liquid diet for a couple days after your fills?  Will 4ccs be enough to see a difference in the volume I eat, or is more common to have more than this put in your band to get the restriction you need.
mjst220
on 12/17/08 7:28 am
I got a fill on monday and the doctor always puts me on liquids that day, he says it gives your stoma time to heal from the manipulation or swelling the band being tightened may cause. I now have 5 cc total in my band - i got a 2cc fill on monday and as of right now i can tell a huge difference, i just hope it lasts. My dr. will only do 1 or 2 cc per fill he is very conservative . From what i understand restriction is different with each person but i think typically most people feel some restriction around 7 cc or so. GOOD LUCK!
stiletto6507
on 12/17/08 1:41 pm
i got my first fill on monday as well, 3.5cc.  was on liquids for that day and the day after, on soft mushy food again.  i can definitely tell the restriction.

wildheart63
on 12/18/08 1:29 am - IL
my doc does not require liquids after a fill,he just says make sure you can drink before you try solids. i had 3.3cc in my first fill,2.7cc my second fill. i had a little restriction but 12/10 i went for my three month ck and he put in 1cc so i have 7cc in my band and i can feel restriction....it takes time.....this is bandster he**
be patient!
lori

aphephobicfriend
on 12/18/08 9:41 pm - Ocala, FL
I got my first fill yesterday- my doctor said liquids for 48 hours and then mushies for 48 hours because my stomach could potentially swell. At the office he had me gulp down water and I had no problem with it, and egg drop soup I was able to eat way more than 4 oz. I feel like it's safe to say that I'm gonna need at least a couple CC's more before I'm feeling any restriction.
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly!
tarat410
on 12/22/08 1:45 am - PHILADELPHIA, PA
So far i've had four fills and my doctor never told me to go back to liquids after the fills. I wish he did. As soon as i would settle into my desk at work and try to eat lunch i realized that i couldn't eat without the food getting stuck.  Even once in the drs office, the water that he gave me to drink got stuck. The amount of CC's is very little but you'll feel that it does make a difference. Good luck with everything!  

Vicky S.
on 12/29/08 3:03 am - Taunton, MA
I don't believe you will get significant restriction after your first fill, but some do.  Another thing... some fills don't  "kick in" (don't ask me why****il several weeks after you've received the fill.  After my first fill, I was on liquids for 2 days, mushies for 2 days, soft foods for 2 days then back to a regular diet.  I know it sounds like a hassle, but doing that kind of diet not only protects your pouch and stoma from damage, it's almost a guaranteed drop in weight!

"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be." ~ David Viscott   

Most Active