I'm very disappointed in myself and the lap band

Goldiegirl_1
on 12/16/08 1:48 am

I had my lap band surgery October 31st.   I was wondering if anyone out there can lead me to, perhaps, a book on how to succeed with weight loss AFTER getting the Realize band. 

I have so many, many questions.  I'm still hungry and I still think about what I'm going to eat.  I know that the lap band is "just a tool", however, I thought it would be easier.  Maybe I just don't "get it".  I opted for the lap band because I have no "self control".  I thought the lap band would help me in that area.  I still need to use unbelievable self control with the lap band.  I have had two fills so far.  When I eat, I end up eating until I feel a blockage in my throat.  I don't know what to expect.  I don't know what's normal with the lap band and what's not. 

My doctor is just wonderful.  He told me to eat until I felt full.  He said that I didn't need to count calories.  I tried this for two weeks and I gained two pounds.  I have had another fill since then and I still don't feel as though I am able to stop eating.  I'm a little nervous to get another fill because I am eating until I feel a blockage in my throat now. 

I guess I'm just not informed enough about this whole thing.  If there is anyone out there that can guide me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

Please, everyone remember, this forum is for us to HELP each other.  I have had past experiences on this website where a few people were so nasty and insulting and very hurtful.  Please let's just all try and help each other with love. 

Thanks so much,

Cindy 

wsmommy
on 12/16/08 2:08 am
Hi Cindy,

I am sorry that you are having this trouble.  I know weight loss is frustrating at best and when we have a tool to help us we want it to work correctly.

I haven't had the band yet, but I am scheduled at the end of Dec.  I have had the benefit of a wonderful program with my surgeon.  I have had 3 consults with the dietician at the hospital and it has really helped me to understand what I will need to do to make lap band work for me.

With the lap-band we know that we can't eat as much as we used to.  I have also been told that I would have to pay attention and only eat until I felt full.  Since I am not banded yet, I have no idea what that is.  The dietician also said that we still have to watch what we put in our mouths.  We should be eating protein first and foremost, then veggies and then only good carbs.  Whole grains, avoid sugar and liquid calories.  I use the Gladiator protein meal replacement powder from Smoothie King.  It is the only one I really like and it has 45 gms. of protein per serving.  It goes a long way in fulfilling my 70 gms. per day requirement.

I also read in an OH magazine article that sometimes being too tight on our restrictions will cause us to want to eat soft, carb filled foods.  That will sabotage our weight loss big time. 

Are you exercising at all?  I know it is hard to get started and hard to find something you enjoy, especially now that the cold weather is here.  I go to Curves and love it, but I know it isn't for everyone.  My best friend has an exercise video that she got at a Christian book store that is just walking in place at home.  She isn't losing a lot of weight, but it is getting her to the point where she isn't hurting to move. 

I sure hope things work out for you and that you see some results soon.  Focus on those proteins first and hopefully it will help you lose the weight!

Toni

Goldiegirl_1
on 12/22/08 11:03 pm
Hi Toni !

Thanks so much for your reply to my post.  I realize from reading it that I need to go back to "square one".  I need to call the nutritionist that is provided to me from my doctor's office, and learn what I need to do, to make the lap band work for me. 

I am very grateful to you for your suggestions.  I have not been exercising that much due to sickness, BUT, I  know that it is a "MUST".  I used to work at "Curves" a  few years ago and it was a magnificent program.  I went down three dress sizes and I felt so much better about myself.   

I know you will be successful with the lap band.  You seem to have such a wonderful handle on it.  I am so happy for you and I send you my best wishes on  your lap band journey.

Cindy

reillye
on 12/16/08 3:10 am
Hi,

I don't have a book to recommend, but can share my experience.

There is hungry, like your stomach is growling, and hungry like your head wants you to eat.  Do you know the difference in your own body?  I think a lot of us, myself included, didn't know.  So, when you want to eat --- stop and wait 20 minutes.  If you are still hungry, then eat.

For many people the band gives a really good full feeling.  Since day 1, I don't get a full feeling like I did before I was banded.  I had to learn to stop waiting to feel full and stop eating when I was satisfied.  I used about a cup of food as a guideline.  At one meal, eat about 1 cup of food.  Stop.  See when you're hungry again.  And by hungry I mean your tummy is growling hungry, not "I could eat" hungry.  Adjust your meal size from there.  What happens between meals is usually head hungry.  It takes a lot of willpower, but you have to learn to ignore it.  For me, that was my bad habit.  Eating because food was around, not because I was hungry.  Or eating because something tasted good.  If I only eat when I am hungry, I do well.  (Full disclosure -- with the holidays, this has gone half way out the window.  I'm snacking, and I know i shouldn't be.)

Once you get in the habit of not snacking, it's easy not to snack.  It takes a few weeks for your mind and stomach to get retrained.  But once you've done it, it's fine.

If this is really not doable, see a counselor.  We all need help from time to time, and you may be battling a food addiction, which is hard to do alone.

Best of luck.
Eileen
Goldiegirl_1
on 12/18/08 1:01 am
Dear Eileen,

What you described is exactly me !  I will absolutely try your recommendation of eating only one cup of food per meal.  I will also wait 20 minutes.

Also, what you said about, not feeling full with the band like you used to before getting the band is exactly  how I feel.  I thought that, perhaps, my band "slipped" or something !  I'm so glad that you shared that information with me. 

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post.

xoxo,

Cindy
renee K.
on 12/16/08 5:29 am - Augusta, GA
Hey Cindy!  I know how you feel!  and i bet EVERYONE on the board has felt this way at one time or another.  Just keep going.  as much as i wi**** was an overnight cure, its not.  With me, I have to break a lifetime of bad habits.  I have no fill, so no restriction. I do know there is supposed to be a "sweet spot" and as soon as i get my fill, i dont know that i will hit it.  It seems to be a process.  Just like this whole journey has been.

They told me in the seminar that after a fill it could take weeks for optimal restriction, and even then I might need another fill.  I just want to get my fills started so i wont be eating everything in sight!

Hang in there!  It will get better!
We are all here to support each other.

HUGGS!!!!
Renee

Goldiegirl_1
on 12/18/08 12:46 am
Hello Renee,

Thank you so much for replying to my post.

I do not regret getting the lap band.  I have had some restriction, but, I think I thought the process would be quicker.  I thought that it would be easier to distinguish true hunger from true "wishing" for food.  It's a battle no matter how you look at it.  I think I need to "rethink" my expectations and be a little more patient with myself and the lap band.

I wish you the best of luck on your lap band journey.  You seem to have a wonderful attitude and you seem to be well informed.

xoxoxox,

Cindy
bornagain3
on 12/16/08 7:54 pm - Scottsville, VA
Cindy:

Don't feel alone.  I had my surgery Sept. 29th and am still battling food.  I have had two fills and have some restriction but like you there are times I eat until I feel that blockage in my throat.

I do see a counselor, though only once a month.  I know that I have food addiction and that I need to start back going to Overeaters Anonymous. 

The lap band is only a tool is right.  I have lost 25 pounds, but am so afraid that I will regain those or stretch out my band and that this is all I will loose.

Have you tried Overeaters Anonymous?  I also have no control and need extra help.

Jeane
Goldiegirl_1
on 12/18/08 12:38 am
Hi Jeane,

Thanks for your kind reply to my post.  You made me feel so much better. 

I am going to look into Overeaters Anonymous.  

Happy Holidays, 

Cindy
wildheart63
on 12/18/08 2:30 am - IL
HEY CINDY,
I KNOW THAT YOU ARE IN BANSTER HELL RIGHT NOW. TRY NOT TO EAT UNTIL YOU HAVE THAT THING IN YOUR THROAT, THAT IS NOT A GOOD SIGN.SEE HOW YOU FEEL RIGHT BEFORE YOU SEEM TO BE FULL,I GET A SOFT STOP=HICCUP/BURP.....JUST BE CAREFUL CUZ YOU DON;T WANT TO END UP BACK IN SURGERY.PM ME IF YOU NEED TO TALK!
I'M NOT A PRO AT THIS BUT I DO UNDERSTAND AND MAYBE I CAN HELP WITH ENCOURAGEMENT.I SURE KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT PEOPLE SAYING NASTY THINGS LIKE THEY ARE MD'S OR SOMETHING! GET A GRIP PEOPLE EVERYONE NEEDS HELP FROM TIME TO TIME
LORI

Most Active