Typical weight Loss??

kashbrook
on 12/15/08 3:08 am
 I am just starting the process for lap band. I have heard that you lose weight very slowly and am considering having RNY instead. I know it also depends on how strict you follow your diet and excercise.  Can anyone tell me how much and how quickly they lost weight after lap band?
Robert P.
on 12/15/08 3:38 am - Pelham, AL
Waiting to get mine done, but the average (as I understand it) is 1 to 2 lbs. per week, although men will lose faster than women, and those with more to lose will lose faster.

RNY will drop the weight faster, but at 5 years out, the weight loss is very similar.  On the good side, the skin has time to rebound better with banding than with the bypass.
RackeSRN
on 12/15/08 8:23 am - Florence, KY
Hi Kashbrook,
It all depends...how's that for an answer? LOL. Men lose faster than women, those with more to lose also lose faster. Exercise assists the loss, so your exercise level affects it, how well you adhere to the diet and how soon you feel restriction also affects it. Also, banding is a different way of losing...you change your diet in different ways and really have to learn to deal with your head hunger (well, you have to with RNY as well). I am 5 weeks out and lost 21 lbs; BUT I exercise 3 X a week and adhere to the plan quite religiously. RNY the weight comes off faster because you have malabsorption syndrome, and you have to really be careful with vits and minerals because of the malabsorption. It is a personal decision and each person loses differently...but did you gain it as fast as you want to lose it????? Don't reach for miracles because both are tools-not instant cures
Good luck on whichever you choose!
reillye
on 12/16/08 2:57 am
It does depend.  It is a tool.  The weight won't just magically fall off.  You have to diet.  Same goes for a RNY too.

Feel free to click on my ticker below to see my weight loss.

I go to curves 3x a week and am pretty good about my diet.

Eileen
Jo Ann M.
on 12/17/08 1:41 am - Edison, NJ
Hi.   Had my band done on March 27, 2008 - almost 9 months ago.  At my last fill (3 weeks ago), I was down 80 lbs.   Yes, I wi**** was more ( like RNY ), but it still feels great and the issues AFTER surgery are nowhere near those for RNY.  Hoping to lose another 20 before the end of March 2010.  Maybe that will make me happy  LOL  Good luck whichever you decide

Always, Jo Ann
        (but hopefully less of me soon )
kashbrook
on 12/17/08 2:32 am
Jo Ann:

Thanks for your reply! It is very encouraging. I'm leaning towards Lapband, just need some confirmation I am making the right decision. Contrats on your 80 pounds !!!    Hopefully soon I will be joining you on the weight loss journey!! 
Happy Holidays!!!!
DelRae
on 12/23/08 1:50 am, edited 1/13/09 10:19 am - Green, OH
I had Lap Band surgery on 12/3/08. My surgeon has a full liquid diet for the first 6 weeks post surgery so I have lost quite a bit of weight - about 20 pounds in the first two weeks. I have slowed down this week, guessing my matabolism as caught up with me - only 3 pound so far.  I also have had little exercise besides walking so I know my weight drop will improve as soon as I start moving around a bit more.  My goal is to lose about 100 pounds.

Even though I was told the average lap band patient losses about 50% of their excess weight, my surgeon has patients that have lost close to 100% so I know it is possible.  Knowing that I now have a tool to help me KEEP IT OFF has really given me incentive. This will be the last time I'll have to work to get the weight off.  I'm looking forward to maintenance with the band.  It has always been pretty easy for me to get the weight off with diet and excercise, I've just never been able to keep it off.
Del Rae
Most Active