Milk or water with protein powder?

carolw1229
on 12/13/08 12:19 am
VSG on 10/18/17
I had my Realize Band surgery this week-12-10. I am home and doing well. Clear liquids this week and full liquids next week. My doctor surprised me when he told me to not use skim milk in my protein drinks and instead use only water. I was planning on mixing with skim milk. His reasoning is the extra calories with skim milk. I would like to hear what others were told after their Realize Band surgery. My doctor is also not recommending cream soups thinned with skim milk during my full liquids stage. Any feedback would be appreciated.
stiletto6507
on 12/13/08 12:32 am
i kinda mixed it up, some days one shake with milk, some days with jus****er.  i use isopure alpine punch sssoooo, i think i would be kinda gross with milk.

bornagain3
on 12/13/08 8:39 am - Scottsville, VA
I have always used skim milk and wasn't told any different.

Jeane
tbines401
on 12/13/08 8:43 am - Columbia, SC
You are just going to have to do what u feel will work for you. I did the milk we have to do without a lot so why worry about it. It's not going to harm you.
renee K.
on 12/14/08 11:41 pm - Augusta, GA
I use fat free milk now but used water right after surgery.  I like the extra protein from the milk and I love milk anyway.  If your doc made a recommendation then i would follow it to a T!!  That is why they make the big $ being the doc and we are the impatient --oops i mean patients!!
LOL 

sugarcubews
on 12/20/08 1:57 am
my doctor told me to the same about using water instead of milk.  Ive never used it with milk so I don't know the difference..lol...but what I do use is the chocolate in my coffee.....yummy good.
Kellie

baldls
on 12/21/08 12:56 am - Miami, OK
Thanks for the comment about the coffee!  I've been wondering about this myself - since I've alway been very big on liquid creamer!  I will try this soon!
Lori
Marti P.
on 12/22/08 3:04 pm - San Jose, CA
Well I've always mixed my protein powder with 1 cup skim or fat free milk, a 1 quarter cup of dry milk, 4-6 ice cubes, sometimes a teaspoon of Nestles Quik, and a half-cup of vanilla yogurt.  Mix it up in the blender and I have a tasty shake!  I have been doing this since January and it's been fine!

Marti in San Jose

renegadebkr
on 12/25/08 10:03 am - Waldorf, MD
My doctor is the direct opposite. He told me he wants me to mix mine with skim milk. He said it adds extra protein about 2 extra grams plus I am getting calcium also and it is only 90 calories a 8 oz. glass and no fat so whats the big deal about skim. My doctor also told me to eat lowfat cottage cheese which is higher in calories than skim milk.
Dusty Cassidy   " It's not a real adventure unless you come home with a scar "                    
Current weight  219.0 Lbs   My  Ideal weight  188   I love my sleeve 

Most Active