New Here!

kellybmomof3
on 12/12/08 2:30 am
I just wanted to introduce myself.  I'm Kelly from Kentucky and new to this forum.  II'm married to a supportive guy and we have 3 kids.  'm not banded yet, hope to have the surgery in March or April.  I have to do the 6 month doctor supervision, and will be done with that at the end of February.  I have fought my weight all my life and am now my heighest ever.  I can't wait until my surgery.  I know my life will change!  I met with my surgeon last week.  He does Lap Band and Realize band surgeries.  After talking to him and hearing the pros and cons of both bands (and after discussing it with my husband), I/We chose the Realize Band.  So, now I'm here, reading your posts and learning from you all. 
I look forward to getting to know you all and sharing in my excitement with you all! 
Kelly B
297/247/165

Summer Slimmers Challenge!

Most barriers to your success are man-made.  And, most often, you're the man who made them.  ~ Frank Tyger
Carol422
on 12/12/08 5:06 am - Orland Park, IL
Welcome Kelly! Congratulations on making the decision to get healthy.
These boards are a font of information, but rely on what your doctors office tells you. Be sure to check out the lapband forum also. Both bands are very similar. Good luck with your journey!
Carol

kellybmomof3
on 12/12/08 10:32 pm
Thanks so much!
Kelly B
297/247/165

Most barriers to your success are man-made.  And, most often, you're the man who made them.  ~ Frank Tyger
RackeSRN
on 12/12/08 8:11 pm - Florence, KY
Hi Kelly, I am from KY also, the northern part (right across from Cincinnati). Congratulations on the decision and the strength to go forward with a decision for health and life. I see the 3 smalls (my affectionate term for kids) and think of what an impact and positive message you are sending them by choosing healthy and making life promoting decisions. What you learn will be how you teach them; so again, Congratulations! Remember, not everyone views this as a good thing-so grow a strong spine and be ready to shoulder some controversy. Who you tell is your choice; and how you respond is your choice as well; but also remember opinions can be like as* holes...everyone has one and they can be very unpleasant.
This is a very exciting time for you and your family and the changes have already started for you...mentally first then physically. It is a wild ride, to say the least!
Sonja
kellybmomof3
on 12/12/08 10:41 pm

Thanks, Sonya.  I have decided only to tell family and close friends for that exact reason.  98% of who I have told have been encouraging.  those *****sponses were, "WHY?!", I've just not mentioned it again.  The important ones to me (Husband and Mom) are very encouraging.  My Mom can be judgemental, but wasn't.  (Which made me very relieved.  I was nervous about telling her.)  She knows how I've battled weight all my life. 

On another note, I saw your post below regarding c-sections and the level of pain vs. band surgery.  I've had 3 c-sections and was up walking w/in hours of them.  I was glad to see your response as to the level of pain for c-sec and lap band.  I had the same idea that you said.  I didn't think lap band surgery would be as bad as c-sec.  Still somewhat sore, but not as pain to sit up and such. 

Thanks for the welcome!  I look forward to chatting with you more!

Kelly B
297/247/165

RackeSRN
on 12/12/08 11:51 pm - Florence, KY
Suprisingly, my mother who is a nurse (and I am as well), was NOT supportive-she was very judgmental and asked me how I could surgically alter my digestive system and why couldn't I just lose the weight again like I have in the past. I tried to explain the Realize Band to her and i got a "talk to the hand" gesture. Finally I looked at her and said, I am not going to argue with You over MY health and maybe-since we can't see eye to eye on this, and it is already done; we need to not discuss it any more. We don't discuss it at all, but it hurt me I couldn't talk to her. Maybe that is why I never told her I was having it done...subconsciously I knew. Although she is 5-0, 95 lbs and never really battled her weight so I am sure she can not understand.
bornagain3
on 12/13/08 8:48 am - Scottsville, VA
You are right, she will never understand.  But you did a wonderful thing for your health and I am sure you will be very very pleased with the results.

Jeane
kellybmomof3
on 12/13/08 10:22 pm
That was the reply I got from one of my best friends.  I just didn't talk to her anymore about it.  Totally dropped the subject.  It really hurt my feelings.  Yes, I can lose weight...I've done it a million times, but I can't keep it off.  I've dieted my way up and down the scale.  That's when I decided just not to tell anyone else. 
Kelly B
297/247/165

Lisey
on 12/14/08 3:17 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
First & foremost - I wish you the best your WLS journey.  At the risk of being a renegade, I'm going to post some study information for long-term results comparing the 3 main types of WLS around.  Keep in mind that surgeons will not typically discuss other surgeries that they don't perform b/c they don't want to lose your business.  I realize there are other personal decisions than following stats on what works best & that these are averages, some people are really successful and some people fail miserably.  In case you haven't heard of the duodenal switch, here's some info.  Please note that when I decided to get WLS, I was sure I wanted some kind of lap band b/c it was less invasive, but the more research that I did on my own, learning about the long-term statistics (meaning 5 to 10 years post-op), the more I realized that my chances of failing with the lap-band were pretty high - knowing myself & given my weight.  I hate the thought that someone not might know all of this info b/c it's a major decision.  I also think you should check out the revision forum to see how many people "fail" at each type of surgery.  Lots of banders, RNYers (bypass), & no DSers.

Buchwald, Avidor, & Braunwald, et al. (2004).  Bariatric Surgery:  A Systematic Review & Meta-analysis.  JAMA, 292(14), 1724-1737.

Excess Weight Loss:               Mean Change

Band                                                         47%*

RNY Gastric Bypass (includes long-limb)   62%*

Duodenal Switch                                      70% *

Diabetes - resolved

Band                             47.9%

Gastric Bypass               83.8%

Duodenal Switch            97.9%

Hyperlipidemia

Band                           58.9%

Gastric Bypass             93.6%

Duodenal Switch         99.5%

Hypertension

Band                           43.2%

Gastric Bypass             75.4%

Duodenal Switcch        81.3%

Sleep Apnea

Band                            95%

Gastric bypass             80%

Duodenal Switch         92%

Operative Mortality Rate:

Band                            0.1%

Gastric Bypass             0.5%

Duodenal Switch         1.1%

Reservations on Duodenal Switch (DS) has been largely based on concerns of the long-term effect on malnutrition, as well as diarrhea, and is also likely influenced by the serious long-term consequences seen with the original malabsorptive procedure, the jujunoileal bypass.  The SAGES Manual:  A Practical Guide to Bariatric Surgery (2008) states that metabolic disturbances and the number of surgical revisions for malnutrition or diarrhea are considerably less using 100cm as the common channel length.  The manual also states that the DS short-and long-term weight loss exceed that of any other bariatric operation.  It does NOT state that DS should be reserved for super or super-super obese individuals, apparently due to the lack of evidence of high risk in malnutrition and diarrhea with the 100cm common channel, especially among those who adhere to physician advice for nutrition, vitamin supplementation, and regular lab work.  It specifies that the BMI guidelines are the same for all types of bariatric surgeries, including the DS.

*Note that the study by Buchwald, et al. (2004) looked at averages across many studies where the patients were measured at different time lengths from their surgery (eg, one year, two years, or 5 years post-op).  Other research that is 10 years post-op (lap-band not available in US patients for last 10 years, only last 7 years), shows that 20% of those with an RNY bypass regain more than 50% of their excess weight loss with comorbidities often coming back.  Less than 5% of those with duodenal switch regain more than 50% of their excess weight.  Fact.  Know your choices & then decide what’s best for you.  Happy Holidays to all those I just may have helped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

kellybmomof3
on 12/14/08 9:13 am
Thanks for the info, Lisey.  I've done lots of research myself and I feel like the band is what's best for me know.  Fortunately, my surgeon went over the 3 you discuss above (he does all 3), and told me the pros/cons for each.  My husband and I did more research on our own and I feel that the band is for me.  The info you had was interesting!  Thanks!
Kelly B
297/247/165

Most Active