Lap band with kids

pitablond
on 12/10/08 1:37 am - Harrisburg, PA
I know that my subject line doesn't say much but I have two boys, ages 1 and 3.  They are VERY active and we love to roll around on the floor wrestling and such. 
I went to my WLS Support Group meeting and now I'm leaning a little more toward the lap band.  My biggest concern is the port.   Obviously I'm not planning on letting the kids jump all over me right away...but could something happen to that port if I do have a 30 pounder come at me with a big ol' belly flop??   Also...I had to c-sections and was doing laundry 2 days later...can I pretty much expect the same kind of pain
?
audreynicole
on 12/10/08 6:02 am - Friendswood, TX
How are you?  You have some really good questions let me see if I can offer you some insight.  I have a 2 and 3 year old.  I had both of them c-section.  I came home the next morning with the second one so needless to say I handle pain very well.  However I have the realize band I thought the surgery hurt like hell.  I really thought it was worse than my c-sections or maybe I thought it was worse because I used food to cope with the pain of my c-sections and this time there was no food after surgery.  Anyway as far as the belly flops coming down.  I have had a couple of times where the kids have jumped on me and I have had some pain.  It always has stopped as soon as I get them off! :)  ha ha ha.  Hope this helps.
**Live-Laugh-Love**    Before Band/Current/Goal
       Audrey  
             253          180     143

clovett
on 12/10/08 7:10 am - farmingdale, NJ
Hi Ashley, I had 2 c-section and was banded on Nov 7, 2008. No it is not the same pain as a c-section. C-section pain is worse, way worse. The only thing about the lap band surgery was the gas pain. The actual incision was no pain just a little discomfort. I chose to stay the night at the hospital so I can have the good medicine(LOL). Sometimes if I lay the wrong way forgetting the port is there, I can have a uncomfortable feeling, not really pain just uncomfortable. I was walking the same day of surgery, had to try and move some of the air that they pump you with during surgery. You probably just have to be conscience of the port. I hope this was helpful.
[link=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcA3oBn/]
[image noborder]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wcA3oBn/weight.png[/image]
[/link]

pitablond
on 12/11/08 1:27 am - Harrisburg, PA
Thanks Ladies...very helpful!
RackeSRN
on 12/11/08 5:40 am, edited 12/11/08 5:40 am - Florence, KY
Hi Ashley, I had the realize band and I had 3 C-Sections and I had a hysterectomy and I had my gall bladder out and I had 7 ovarian cysts removed....(shew, my belly looks like a road map) and the Realize band was a CAKE WALK for me. I came home the day after everyone of those surgeries and by far the band was the easiest. I had the band on a Wed, at the grocery on Friday and back to work full time on Monday. Couldn't ask for more. I also have kids that love to rough-house and goof off along with 2 lab retrievers that are pretty rough...my band was a little over a month ago and I have had no trouble; some discomfort when bumped, but no problems. Medical practice is to suture the port securely in place, so I would ask your doctor to make sure he/she does this.
wildheart63
on 12/12/08 3:05 am - IL
hi ashley,
i have the realize band also
i have had 2 c-sections,2 surgeries for breast cancer,37 radiation treatments,my gallbladder out,a hysterectomy ,left knee surgery and a parathyroid out of my neck.......mmmmmm let me see the worst pain i believe was the hysterectomy......and i survived! the band surgery is nothing...hopefully for you also!
i am only 44 years old and have had all of those things happen to me.
you can do this!
lori

kimberism
on 12/30/08 12:57 am - CA
I have a 1 year old and a 4 year old.  They have both been really good about staying away from my belly (in fact my 4 year old keeps asking if my tummy is all better).  The hardest thing is not picking them up for 6 weeks!  My dr gave me strict instructions of no more than 5 lbs for the first 2 weeks, and then no more than 10 lbs for then next 4.  She said it takes a full 6 weeks for all the sutures to fully heal and create a strong bond to where they are attached, so not to overdue it.  My mom is here helping during the day, because they are my job (I'm a stay at home mom).  Until the swelling, gas & tenderness went away, I kept a pillow on my lap, to add extra cushioning in case they came at me, but also it filled my lap, so they didn't have a place to crawl up to cuddle.  For me, not being able to cuddle my kids in my lap is really hard.  As for pain and getting back to normalcy, I've had multiple drive by surgeries for endomitriosis and PCOS, then a hyst, and a gallbladder surgery to compare, and this was real similar to one of my other drive by laroscopy surgeries.
Most Active