left sholder pain

laurkay19
on 12/6/08 1:30 am
Hey there! I had my surgery on 12-1-08 with the realize band....I am really happy so far. But I have a quick question, What is the sholder pain? I remember reading about this before surgery but I can not remember what it is.

thank you!!!
bornagain3
on 12/6/08 7:56 am - Scottsville, VA
Could it be gas???  If it persists, I would call the Dr.

Jeane
paul S.
on 12/6/08 11:46 am - new york, NY
hi just wanna let you know it is gas and it will pass not much you can do   good luck paul
kellydv
on 12/6/08 9:23 pm - Watertown, MA

It is most likely gas - some folks take longer to get rid of it post-op.  Try Gas-X (strips or chewables) and also walk around as much as you can - walking tends to release the gas as well.

A heating pad worked nicely for me also when I was resting post-op.

Good luck and congrats on your surgery!

Kelly

Tipsy
on 12/6/08 9:38 pm - Albany, NY
I had my band put in on the Dec. 1 also, and I had shoulder pain until Friday. 

I've had this same pain with other laperscopic procedures in the past, so I know it's only temporary and will pass.

T

RackeSRN
on 12/6/08 11:49 pm - Florence, KY
It is the CO2 gas from where they inflate your stomach during the procedure so the doctor can see what he/she is doing with laparoscopy.  After surgery it is impossible to "deflate" all the way and some residual CO2 remains.  It likes to "pocket" in the shoulder areas or under the diaphragm giving should or rib cage pain until the body absorbs it.  Walking, changing positions frequently, and a heating pad on low can help it reabsorb faster but sometimes it is just a "wait it out" ordeal.  Good Luck, and if it persists more than 10-14 days post-op I would call your doc.
Sonja
tommiejean_27
on 12/7/08 10:22 pm - Sherwood, AR
Like everyone else says....its probably gas.  I felt the 'left shoulder pain' for about 4 months though off and on.  I'm glad that is over for sure!  Congrats on your band and good luck with your journey!
Most Active