Family & Friends trying to talk me out of surgery....

Nicole Wilson
on 11/28/08 3:32 am - Indianapolis, IN
My sugery is Dec. 10th and I have started my diet, which has been hard at times.  Anyway, my friends and family were very supportive of me getting the surgery up until now.  Now some of my friends and family are asking me why I am getting the surgery.  I try to explain that I am doing the surgery for myself and no one else.  I have tried other ways to lose weight and nothing works.  I would not have been approved for surgery if I did not try other methods they would not have approved it.  My friends and family almost talked me out of the surgery until last night.  I was waiting for my husband to return from Iraq and I was sitting in one of those metal chairs.  After about 3 hours it fell apart, I was in the front row and embarrased as can be, then a couple of people came up to me to ask me if I was ok, I wanted to die.  There were tons of other people who were bigger then me, but I had to be the one who fell.  So did anyone go through this problem with your friends and family not supporting you?  How did you handle it? 
motorhomemama
on 11/28/08 3:51 am - Okotoks, Canada
Yes , I have been through that too.  My sisters are all very heavy also and I think they are feeling threatened that if I lose weight I will be too "different".  My husband was adamantly against a bypass so I have compromixed and I had a band put in Nov 19th.  I almost chickeded out at the last minute as I was starting to have doubts i could do this.
This is for me...I am not responsible for how they feel, but I am responsible for waht I do to keep my body in some semblance of good health. I stopped and thought..okay, if I don't do this where will I be in five years???
I didn't like the answers I got because I think I could be dead or crippled or blind in five years if I don't do something.  So I did.

Don't let anyone else make this decision for you...you are too important .  When I read all thesuccess stories here I just want to stand up and holler I want that too!!!  And...I am going for it, all the way.

Good luck  Eydie
342/298/280175  highest / surgery  wtNov 19/08/ current/ goal
LHolloway1
on 11/28/08 9:13 am - Hampton, GA

Nicole
Dont let  anyone stand in your way it is that they cant do it
they dont like seeing family members be successful hun
you have to live in your skin not them... I had my band done
Sept 10th... I have lost 32 pounds so far and im at a stand still
I well never be that size again just because I am finally doing it for me last
time I dropped a 100 for me but I gained it back thru pressure
NOT ANYMORE
I have been to the brink of death  and the lord hasnt taken me but GAVE me
HOPE one more time  do it for your own self
GOD BLESS add me if you like ill do best I can to check in on ya
A NEW FRIEND
Linda

LHolloway1
New Years Resolution
Get Healthy
And Keep My Word

Nicole Wilson
on 11/28/08 10:38 am - Indianapolis, IN
thank you...I keep telling them that I am doing this for me and my health, not for them.  They had me giving the surgery a second thought.  It's like they almost make me feel guilty for wanting the surgery, I am tired of being this weight, I am ready to start my new life...thanks for your support..
jla734
on 11/30/08 3:19 am - DE
Hi Nicole,
 Your family is probably just getting the pre surgery jitters. In other words they supported you when it was further away but now are scared. The what ifs are probably running rampant in their minds as it does in our own before surgery.

I went through this with my own parents at first they supported me but then the news started running reports about all the issues with RNY and it freaked them out. I had to explain to them that lapband is completly different surgery that can be reversed.
  What you are going through is tough. It's almost crazy making. WE are getting the surgery but we are worried about mom,dad,sis,bro,uncle Bob,aunt Sally worrying about US. Geez some of these people have high BP and now we are concerned about THEM on top of the concerns for ourselves. This is probably one of the big reasons we have to see a mental health spec before surgery because this is such a life changing choice.Share with the data re lapband and Realize and how much safer this surgery is compared to the others.

renegadebkr
on 12/1/08 1:34 am - Waldorf, MD
I went through the same thing with a bunch of friends and some of my family. My wife and kids on the other hand support me 110 % and want me to get the surgery because they said they want me around for a long time. As a matter of fact when I have mine if it works out well my wife will be getting it. You are doing this for you and nobody else. They aren't paying for it and it is not anybody elses decision. For you, your family and your health so go do what you need to do and smile at em and say that you will no longer be eating yourself to death but you will be getting healthier.
Dusty Cassidy   " It's not a real adventure unless you come home with a scar "                    
Current weight  219.0 Lbs   My  Ideal weight  188   I love my sleeve 

Most Active