Restriction

tphillipslaw
on 11/6/08 2:40 am
RNY on 01/12/09 with
I am confused about restriction.  Will I feel full as sson as I am banded or will I still have that feeling of hunger until my first fill. 
bornagain3
on 11/6/08 4:19 am - Scottsville, VA
I had surgery Sept. 29th.  I was not hungry for about 3 weeks or so.  Was on liquids and pureed.  But began to feel hunger by 4 weeks.  I am not hungry all the time, just mainly before meals and portion control is a bit of a problem.  I have my 2nd appointment post surgery with my surgeon next Monday and am hoping to have a fill of some sort as there is really no restriction right now.

Hope this helps.

Jeane
wildheart63
on 11/6/08 4:32 am - IL
i had my band 9/9/08 and was not hungry for about 2-3 weeks but i had a fil of 3.3cc in the 9 cc band and i still did not have restriction,i go back tomorrow for my second fill and hopfully i can have some restriction.i can eat more than 1 1/2 cups -2 cups but i try and stop about a cup or so just because...i also started to get the soft stop"hiccup" last week so i usually stop then even if i don;t feel full....usually i am and i just get busy so i don't think about it...i use small plates and it usually works as a visual too.
it takes time to get restriction so don;t be discouraged if you are hungry soon after you heal,everyone is different.most of us have to diet until we get real restriction.
good luck to you
lori

wildheart63
on 11/9/08 4:38 am - IL
i went for my second fill and now i have 6.0 inmy 9cc band......i think i have restriction......a little harder to eat certain things.....not going down to easily......
i'm hoping !
lori

mmcnab
on 11/10/08 9:10 am - IL
Hi Lori,

I know exactly what you are going through. I had my surgery on 8/5/08. I have had a total of 5.4ml of fluid placed in my band so far. I had my last adjustment on 10/20/08 and still feel little restriction.  I am just trying to stay strong and make healthy choices when I eat. I do get the hiccups like you and kind of use that as a cue to stop.  I weighed 314 lbs before I started this whole process and now weigh 270 lbs.  I have been doing alot of portion control but hope to feel the appropriate restriction.  We'll see what my Doc says on 11/26/08. I will keep you posted. Hang in there!!!! All in all I still feel this was a great decision. I think we just have to find our sweet spot with the band.  I did feel some restriction after th last fill.  

Martha
kellydv
on 11/11/08 7:55 am - Watertown, MA
You will feel full because of the restriction created by the surgery and the fact that your stomach is swollen which is why they don't put any saline in the band for the first several weeks.  I had my band on 9/25/08 and truly did not feel hunger until about week 4.  I had grumbling, but it was gas for sure.  You need to eat at mealtimes though and jus****ch your portions.  You'll be on liquids or full liquids for a while so you should be okay.

Good luck to you!  When is your surgery anyway?

This is the greatest gift I've ever given myself!  I hope you'll feel the same way....

Kelly
Most Active