New member posting for first time and have questions

swtp
on 10/25/08 6:49 am - CA
I just posted in the general forum but wanted to post in this forum as well. I saw a lap band surgeon a couple of months ago and even though I have a BMI of 32, he told me he could still do the surgery (paying everything out of pocket of course and it is VERY expensive). I am seriously thinking about this surgery because I am tired of being heavy and out of shape and I have a couple of medical conditions. Nobody in my family has ever been heavy and everyone tells me I'm not obese even though I'm 60 pounds overweight (which may not seem to be a lot for some of you but it is for me). Is it even worth it to invest the money in this type of surgery with all the diet restrictions and do you get saggy skin when you lose weight? I've tried every diet  plan imaginable but I can't lose the weight!  After reading posts it seems the Realize Band might be better than the Lap Band but I really don't know.
Mendee M.
on 10/25/08 7:58 am - Mulvane, KS
SWPT,
I think only YOU can make that decision. I have been told over and over that I am not that heavy, and don't need the surgery. However, I was sick of feeling sick, mainly from the meds I was on. My BMI right now is 36, which is not far off from yours. But I have been over 40 in the last 2 years too.

I am not sure what your weight history is, however, it is not uncommon for people to gain a little weight to qualifiy for the surgery. Prior to submitting my insurance, I was very cautious not to lose any more weight.

I would encourge you to visit the Lightweights message board (I am a member ) as you will find some excellent information there.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/. A lightweight is generally someone with a BMI under  or around 40.

HTH...

~~Mendee~~

10 pounds below goal!                  
DrC
on 10/28/08 1:17 am - Cincinnati, OH
On October 25, 2008 at 1:49 PM Pacific Time, swtp wrote:
I just posted in the general forum but wanted to post in this forum as well. I saw a lap band surgeon a couple of months ago and even though I have a BMI of 32, he told me he could still do the surgery (paying everything out of pocket of course and it is VERY expensive). I am seriously thinking about this surgery because I am tired of being heavy and out of shape and I have a couple of medical conditions. Nobody in my family has ever been heavy and everyone tells me I'm not obese even though I'm 60 pounds overweight (which may not seem to be a lot for some of you but it is for me). Is it even worth it to invest the money in this type of surgery with all the diet restrictions and do you get saggy skin when you lose weight? I've tried every diet  plan imaginable but I can't lose the weight!  After reading posts it seems the Realize Band might be better than the Lap Band but I really don't know.
SW,
My wife got her band at a BMI of 31 and has lost 62 lbs, her BMI is now 21.  She tells me nearly every day that it has changed her life for the better.

If you want to read her story it's here:
http://www.journeylite.com/testimonials.php?l=&ep=Testimonial_Kelly_C#story
She talks about some of the exact struggles you are thinking about right now.

Good luck with your decision whatever it is.

Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
Most Active