My surgery is scheduled for 09/12/08 NERVOUS!!

aharkins
on 9/7/08 12:56 pm - SC
I'm so nervous about what to have when I come home from the hospital. Can anyone give me advice on what to prepare for ahead of time. I meant to ask my doctor when I went in for pre-op but you know how that goes, you forget everything you had in mind to ask being so excited and all...I like to be ahead of the game but feel like I may be playing it by ear! thanks everyone

priss0619
on 9/8/08 4:41 am - NC
Congratulations. I am having my surgery at 6am in the morning. I am nervous too. I went to the store and bought chicken broth, protein shakes, sugar free popsicles, sugar free pudding, yogurt. I am not sure what your doctor will tell you, but I will be on a liquid only diet for days 1-4 and after that I can have pureed/ mashed foods for days 5- 21. Hope this helps.
Missy T
halfcup
on 9/8/08 5:41 am
I just know that you will do great - congrats on the 12th and I will be praying for you.  My surgery is scheduled for 10/3 so I am in a preparation mode too!!

I have heard the following:

-pillow for the ride home - takes pressure off your stomach
-heating pad for 20 or so minutes every few hours helps dissapate the gas
-the list of foods I was told to have ready when you come home are:

borhts
fat free gravies
low fat creamy soup
low fat/non fat yogurt, cottage cheese and heese
skim milk
sugar free jello
measured water bottles (ie. 32 ounce)
zero calorie, non carbonated beverages
no sugar added carnation instant breakfast
non fat dry milk powder
fat free refried beans - high protein
oat bran, oatmeal, cream of wheat or cream of rice
lean meats (tuna, salmon in water, chicken breasts, trukey, pork, eggs)
fat free sour cream
low fat mayo
fruits and veggies without seeds
Plastic dishware (ie. 4 oz gladware containers
complete multivitamin (w/ iron)
calcium citrate w/ vitamin D

Hope this helps and good luck!!  Let us know how you do.

Barb
aharkins
on 9/8/08 5:50 am - SC
Thanks to everyone for your advice....I'm sure I will be well prepared. Thank you for all the encouragement

halfcup
on 9/8/08 6:09 am
OK

The first item is BROTHS!!!! Not "bohts"  
Darrin D.
on 9/8/08 10:29 am - GA
I had my Realize band on 8/26.  First thing, dont expect to be even mildly hungry that first day.  Even though I got to come home that same day all I did was come home and snooze. 

The next couple of days - broth broth and more broth, FF/SG clear Jellos

My bariatrician's plan is a couple of days clear liquid then a couple of days of regular liquids, then a couple of weeks on pureed (you will come to hate not being able to chew).

I am currently up to the pureed stuff, not bad, just starting to get a bit bored with the same things.

2nd Fill 2.5cc's for a total of 6cc in a 10cc Realize Band
TeddyTexas
on 9/10/08 8:09 am - Fort Worth (near Keller/Watauga), TX
My sugery is sceduled for Monday the 15th and I'm nervous too!

My daughter has been helping be figure out what to eat during the mushie stage. She has a toddler and got very good earlier this year making him food, freezing it in ice cube trays, and then putting the cubes in marked plastic bags. So far, she plans on freezing mashed sweet potatoes, cauliflower, butternut squash, carrots, and we are checking out what fruits might be good to try during this time of year.

Good luck to everyone on their upcoming surgeries!

Lisabee
on 9/10/08 9:02 am
Congrats on your surgery date.    I was banded on the 5th.   Everything was a breeze.    I ate pretty much what everyone else posted although did like the sugar free oatmeal with a little splenda in it.   Only ate 1-2 oz of it.

It is still hard to wrap by brain around how little I eat.   I had a HUGE appetite,  but It does fill me up.   I will be praying for you.    You will do fine.  
LIsa
Bratty_Nicole
on 9/10/08 12:38 pm - Aurora, CO
CONGRATS!!  Good luck with everything!!  Let us know how you are doing when you get a chance. 
~Nicole  

I joined the Realize Band - 10/2/2008 

My blog:
www.nickleinapickle.blogspot.com
Serenty
on 9/11/08 9:44 am - GA
Most Active