Ask Dr. Curry!

DrC
on 10/9/08 11:40 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On September 23, 2008 at 7:58 PM Pacific Time, bornagain3 wrote:
Right now, Dr. Curry, I don't really have any questions.  Just a little nervous about the surgery on Sept. 29th.  Dr. Michael Trehan is my surgeon and I like him very much.
Sorry I'm so late, looks like you already had your surgery and I'm sure you did fine!

Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
bornagain3
on 10/10/08 6:16 am - Scottsville, VA
Thanks for getting back with me Dr. Curry.  Yes the surgery went very well and my recovery is also great.  I have already lost 14 pounds and go back for my after surgery appointment on Monday, Oct. 13th.

Thanks,

Jeane
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/08 6:55 am - on the border, MA
Hello Dr. Curry.  I had complications with the lap band, I do believe it was too tight from the start as I was returned to the hospital on day 3 completely closed (4cc band) this was in Nov 05, kept the band but developed reflux and aspiration and finaly on a completely empty band, it slipped, was repaired, and slipped again all within 10 days, which lead to removal.  I ultimately had adhesions that had grown around the band and was pulling it out of place.  Okay, all that to ask if you thought I might do okay with the Realize band.  I should say my band was removed in April 07, and have gained back 90 of 120 lbs I had lost.  My original starting weight was 315 lbs.
DrC
on 10/9/08 11:39 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On October 5, 2008 at 1:55 PM Pacific Time, Deb H wrote:
Hello Dr. Curry.  I had complications with the lap band, I do believe it was too tight from the start as I was returned to the hospital on day 3 completely closed (4cc band) this was in Nov 05, kept the band but developed reflux and aspiration and finaly on a completely empty band, it slipped, was repaired, and slipped again all within 10 days, which lead to removal.  I ultimately had adhesions that had grown around the band and was pulling it out of place.  Okay, all that to ask if you thought I might do okay with the Realize band.  I should say my band was removed in April 07, and have gained back 90 of 120 lbs I had lost.  My original starting weight was 315 lbs.
I personally would not recommend rebanding for a third time, I think the chance for complications is just too high.  A sleeve might be a better option for you.

DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
Laura B.
on 10/6/08 11:25 pm - Germantown, MD
Hi Dr. Curry,

I was banded on 9/17/08 and my Dr. gave me a card to carry saying that I am an implant patient. 
My question is:  I have been reading alot of people on the various forums that say that they wear a medic alert bracelet.  Is this for bypass patients?  Should I get one to wear?

Thank you,

Laura

DrC
on 10/9/08 11:39 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On October 7, 2008 at 6:25 AM Pacific Time, Laura B. wrote:
Hi Dr. Curry,

I was banded on 9/17/08 and my Dr. gave me a card to carry saying that I am an implant patient. 
My question is:  I have been reading alot of people on the various forums that say that they wear a medic alert bracelet.  Is this for bypass patients?  Should I get one to wear?

Thank you,

Laura
We don't really recommend this to patients but it certainly wouldn't hurt.  The chances that you would be non responsive and everybody with you who knows you have a band would also be non responsive would be pretty slim.  Assuming someone is alert, they would tell medical personnel that you have a band.

nichole
on 10/19/08 7:24 am - Concord, NC
Hello Dr.Curry... I go to my first Seminar tommrow and I am wanting the Realize band.. I weight 460 and my BMI Is 72. Do you think my doctor will preform the surgery on me since my BMI is so high?? I am VERY determined to get this weight off of me but the Gastric really scares me.. thank you so much for your time and answer in advance!!!
DrC
on 10/19/08 4:24 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On October 19, 2008 at 2:24 PM Pacific Time, nichole wrote:
Hello Dr.Curry... I go to my first Seminar tommrow and I am wanting the Realize band.. I weight 460 and my BMI Is 72. Do you think my doctor will preform the surgery on me since my BMI is so high?? I am VERY determined to get this weight off of me but the Gastric really scares me.. thank you so much for your time and answer in advance!!!
Nichole,
We have done bands on patients with a BMI of 72 and over, but I can't speak for your surgeon.  Most studies do show better weight loss with gastric bypass or DS at that BMI, but in my opinion that does not exclude you from being a band candidate.  You'll have to have a discussion with your surgeon to find out his or her feelings on the topic.

Good luck!

tbuggs
on 10/28/08 2:05 am - Longmont, CO
Hi Dr. curry, I am two weeks out and on mushies. I am following the rules except I am  not eating as often as I should due to not being hungry. I get my protein and liquids in like I should.  Sometime I am not able to measure my food, but I try to eye-ball it. Is this normal and if i eat a little more than a half of a cup will this stretch my pouch?

Tiffany
DrC
on 1/16/09 9:39 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On October 28, 2008 at 9:05 AM Pacific Time, tbuggs wrote:
Hi Dr. curry, I am two weeks out and on mushies. I am following the rules except I am  not eating as often as I should due to not being hungry. I get my protein and liquids in like I should.  Sometime I am not able to measure my food, but I try to eye-ball it. Is this normal and if i eat a little more than a half of a cup will this stretch my pouch?

Tiffany
While I certainly would try your best to follow your surgeon's guidelines, it's unlikely to cause pouch stretch when your band is empty with mushies, since the outlet is wide open.

Most Active