Ask Dr. Curry!

itscc2u
on 7/11/08 10:14 am - Alexandria, VA
Dr. Curry I asked you a question months ago on the Lap-Band forum and you answered it quickly, thoughtfully and so a layman could understand and I thank you. So here I am here on the Realize Band forum with a somewhat similar question as before only because this time I cant find anything on this. Is the Realize band Contraindicated in patients with Autoimmune disorders like the Lap-Band is? Nowhere on the FDA site did I see this contraindication or in the Realize literature... I am hoping finally there is something for me that I can do to assist me. I have lost 30 pounds since Jan 1st on Weigh****chers but have been stuck on that plateau for months with no success even my meeting leaders are stumped and I refuse to take that evil Alli. I have been steroid free over a year now wont take them and refuse them for flares now preferring the old hot tub or heating pad and tylenol instead. So please enlighten me on the use in persons with Auto-immune disorders yes or no or case by case basis, in my case I have been in remission from my lupus for over 6 months. Christine
DrC
on 7/12/08 10:56 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On July 11, 2008 at 5:14 PM Pacific Time, itscc2u wrote:
Dr. Curry I asked you a question months ago on the Lap-Band forum and you answered it quickly, thoughtfully and so a layman could understand and I thank you. So here I am here on the Realize Band forum with a somewhat similar question as before only because this time I cant find anything on this. Is the Realize band Contraindicated in patients with Autoimmune disorders like the Lap-Band is? Nowhere on the FDA site did I see this contraindication or in the Realize literature... I am hoping finally there is something for me that I can do to assist me. I have lost 30 pounds since Jan 1st on Weigh****chers but have been stuck on that plateau for months with no success even my meeting leaders are stumped and I refuse to take that evil Alli. I have been steroid free over a year now wont take them and refuse them for flares now preferring the old hot tub or heating pad and tylenol instead. So please enlighten me on the use in persons with Auto-immune disorders yes or no or case by case basis, in my case I have been in remission from my lupus for over 6 months. Christine

The whole autoimmune thing is somewhat confusing even to me.  I think it's because patients with autoimmune disorders often have esophageal dysmotility problems that may interefere with swallowing if a band is there.

I'm sure there have been patients who were banded and then developed lupus after banding.  What would happen with these patients - I'm sure their band would stay in and only be removed if they were having issues.

I'll see if I can find something specific out regarding the Realize Band for you.

Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
verypeaceful
on 7/19/08 1:35 am
Can you tell me if it is normal for me to have this swollen feeling in the top part of my stomach?  I am 3 days post op with the realize band. If yes, how long will it last?
Thanks,
Denise
DrC
on 7/19/08 11:20 am - Cincinnati, OH
On July 19, 2008 at 8:35 AM Pacific Time, verypeaceful wrote:
Can you tell me if it is normal for me to have this swollen feeling in the top part of my stomach?  I am 3 days post op with the realize band. If yes, how long will it last?
Thanks,
Denise
Denise,
That would be something I wouldn't want to give advice on over the net, I would call Dr. Gellar.

DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
Crystal_girlost
on 7/31/08 10:01 am - WV
First let me say I am still pre band. I am waiting on Insurance approval now. I have chosen to get the Realize band. I have a question about going to the chiropractor. I have back issues and do not know how long I could go without going to my cracker and still function. One thing he does that I am worried about is twisting to reset my L5. These are my questions:
What is your oppinion about how being banded will effect how he treats me?
How long will I need to wait after surgery to go back?
Could he do any damage to the band or port?

I have not told him yet about getting this surgery because when I mentioned it a year ago he was anti-surgery. I am going to tell him before surgery, but thought I would wait till I got approved. I will also ask him about this at that time. I am hoping loosing weight will help in this as well.
Thank you Dr. Curry for all the wonderful help you give to all of us looking for WLS help.
Good things always. Crystal

First fill 11/4/08 3cc's  Second fill 12/19/08 2cc's
Third appt 1/27/09 rescheduled
Third fill 3/24/09 1 cc= Total 6cc's

DrC
on 8/6/08 6:56 am - Cincinnati, OH
On July 31, 2008 at 5:01 PM Pacific Time, Crystal_girlost wrote:
First let me say I am still pre band. I am waiting on Insurance approval now. I have chosen to get the Realize band. I have a question about going to the chiropractor. I have back issues and do not know how long I could go without going to my cracker and still function. One thing he does that I am worried about is twisting to reset my L5. These are my questions:
What is your oppinion about how being banded will effect how he treats me?
How long will I need to wait after surgery to go back?
Could he do any damage to the band or port?

I have not told him yet about getting this surgery because when I mentioned it a year ago he was anti-surgery. I am going to tell him before surgery, but thought I would wait till I got approved. I will also ask him about this at that time. I am hoping loosing weight will help in this as well.
Thank you Dr. Curry for all the wonderful help you give to all of us looking for WLS help.
Good things always. Crystal
Your chiropractor, unless he's Arnold Schwarzenegger, will not cause any harm to your band.  Just let things heal for 3-4 weeks before you go, unless your surgeon tells you otherwise.

krissyjean
on 8/12/08 11:26 am - Pauma Valley, CA
Hi Dr. Curry,

I am hoping you can give me an answer considering the only people I can get to call me back from my doctor's office is an intern that had to be completely talked through the fill I got yesterday.  He's learning and I chose a "learning hospital" so that's cool.  

In any case, I was banded with a Realize band 6/25/08.  I am on the lighter side as I was 191 the day of surgery (although it is all relative).  I had my first fill two weeks ago and have had no restriction at all.  I went in for another one yesterday and apparently I was completely open even after the first fill since they did it blind, so I believe I am at 6.5 cc's now as of yesterday under Floroscopy (sp?). 

About an hour after the fill I started getting very severe shoulder and neck pain just like a pinched nerve.  I have been taking 3-4 Motrin at a time and it is not touching it. It has been a good 36 hours now.  I read on one of the forums that this has to do with the diaphragm and pressure on a nerve or something like that?  I called my doctor's office and received a call back from the intern that did my fill and he has never heard of this nor has the patient advocate that I called today.  I also left a message saying I would like to speak with one of the two supervising surgeons and have not ever heard back. 

I am fairly desperate as this HURTS and I am not wimpy at all!  I can swallow fine and have not really started solids yet so don't know about the restriction part.  It seems like food may aggravate it as well, so have stuck with liquids today.  Anyway, I was hoping you can tell me what I can do and how long this lasts.  Everyone I have reached at his office is acting like they have never heard of this.  Am I insane?? :)

Thanks,

Kristin Jiles
DrC
on 8/21/08 9:59 am - Cincinnati, OH
On August 12, 2008 at 6:26 PM Pacific Time, krissyjean wrote:
Hi Dr. Curry,

I am hoping you can give me an answer considering the only people I can get to call me back from my doctor's office is an intern that had to be completely talked through the fill I got yesterday.  He's learning and I chose a "learning hospital" so that's cool.  

In any case, I was banded with a Realize band 6/25/08.  I am on the lighter side as I was 191 the day of surgery (although it is all relative).  I had my first fill two weeks ago and have had no restriction at all.  I went in for another one yesterday and apparently I was completely open even after the first fill since they did it blind, so I believe I am at 6.5 cc's now as of yesterday under Floroscopy (sp?). 

About an hour after the fill I started getting very severe shoulder and neck pain just like a pinched nerve.  I have been taking 3-4 Motrin at a time and it is not touching it. It has been a good 36 hours now.  I read on one of the forums that this has to do with the diaphragm and pressure on a nerve or something like that?  I called my doctor's office and received a call back from the intern that did my fill and he has never heard of this nor has the patient advocate that I called today.  I also left a message saying I would like to speak with one of the two supervising surgeons and have not ever heard back. 

I am fairly desperate as this HURTS and I am not wimpy at all!  I can swallow fine and have not really started solids yet so don't know about the restriction part.  It seems like food may aggravate it as well, so have stuck with liquids today.  Anyway, I was hoping you can tell me what I can do and how long this lasts.  Everyone I have reached at his office is acting like they have never heard of this.  Am I insane?? :)

Thanks,

Kristin Jiles
I have never seen this before - it does sound like it was fill related but I don't know what the cause would be.

babette32
on 8/21/08 1:10 am
 Dr. Curry,

My question is about fixing a significant hiatal hernia while having a Lap-band.  Have you done cases where the Lap-band was able to remain intact?  Or is is preferable to a good repair to remove the band.  Flouroscopy shows good band placement, no signs of slippage.  

beth

DrC
on 8/21/08 10:00 am - Cincinnati, OH
On August 21, 2008 at 8:10 AM Pacific Time, babette32 wrote:
 Dr. Curry,

My question is about fixing a significant hiatal hernia while having a Lap-band.  Have you done cases where the Lap-band was able to remain intact?  Or is is preferable to a good repair to remove the band.  Flouroscopy shows good band placement, no signs of slippage.  

beth

I've fixed lots of hiatal hernias both at the time of band placement and after band placement.  Unless it's really gigantic, in experienced hands it's not a problem.  It can be a tricky case so in inexperienced hands it can be a problem.

Most Active