Ask Dr. Curry!

DrC
on 7/12/08 10:54 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On July 11, 2008 at 2:12 PM Pacific Time, Bren649 wrote:
Hi Dr. Curry ~ I was banded on May 27th and had my 1st fill of 3cc yesterday 7/10.  Procedure at my dr. office is fills only every 6-7weeks.  In reading other posts, that seems a little long in-between.  Is this unusual?  Needless to say I was a little disappointed.  I have lost a total of 22 lbs.

It used to be commonplace to fill every 6 weeks.  Nowadays the usual routine is 4 weeks.

Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
DrC
on 8/6/08 6:54 am - Cincinnati, OH
Hi Dr. Curry ~ I was banded on May 27th and had my 1st fill of 3cc yesterday 7/10.  Procedure at my dr. office is fills only every 6-7weeks.  In reading other posts, that seems a little long in-between.  Is this unusual?  Needless to say I was a little disappointed.  I have lost a total of 22 lbs.
It's not unusual, but I disagree with it.  I think every 4 weeks gives much better results.

DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
Jean D.
on 8/6/08 11:19 am
 So the first fill is always done at 6 weeks and then the other fills are to be done 4 weeks apart?
DrC
on 8/14/08 4:17 am - Cincinnati, OH
Our routine is 4 weeks, but there are many surgeons who do 6 weeks.  It certainly takes longer to get restriction and can become frustrating.

DrC
on 7/12/08 10:53 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On July 11, 2008 at 1:55 PM Pacific Time, jla734 wrote:
Hi Dr Curry,    I will be having a lapband consult next Friday. I am still not 100 percent sure this is what I want to do. My biggest issue is my sugar. My last A1C was 6.7. It has NEVER been that high. I am 75 pounds overweight.    One of the doctors in the practice said that if I simply lost about 40 pounds this problem would probably go away. The problem is that I already lost 40 pounds 6 years ago and HAVE managed to keep 30 of it off but no matter how much I work out I can't seem to ever get below 215. I am 5 ft 4 3/4.  This is such a major change and I DO want to lose weight but am scared witless. On another note I can eat wheat bread veggies and clean eating and STILL my sugar is high. I don't get it. I am so confused. How in the world can someone that doesnt even have flour,sugar white pasta,chips and garbage food anywhere in their house still have this problem? I went through this with my last 2 pregnancies. The last one the nurse yelled at me in her office and had me crying because she INSISTED I HAD to be eating sugar. She kept telling me that if I kept eating junk my baby could be way overweight and what a risk I was putting my child at. Right my last 2 only weighed 7 lbs 8oz and 7 lbs 4 oz.  My husband also know's I eat right and has even got on people for trying to tell me about "portion sizes",and even the types of food to eat.      Now what has been your success rate with type 2 diabetics? Any advice or question I should ask the doctor when I go?

Success is pretty good with type II diabetics with the band, I don't have an exact number for you but most studies show 60-80% resolution.  Sleeve and bypass are even higher.

DrC
on 8/6/08 6:54 am - Cincinnati, OH
Hi Dr Curry,    I will be having a lapband consult next Friday. I am still not 100 percent sure this is what I want to do. My biggest issue is my sugar. My last A1C was 6.7. It has NEVER been that high. I am 75 pounds overweight.    One of the doctors in the practice said that if I simply lost about 40 pounds this problem would probably go away. The problem is that I already lost 40 pounds 6 years ago and HAVE managed to keep 30 of it off but no matter how much I work out I can't seem to ever get below 215. I am 5 ft 4 3/4.  This is such a major change and I DO want to lose weight but am scared witless. On another note I can eat wheat bread veggies and clean eating and STILL my sugar is high. I don't get it. I am so confused. How in the world can someone that doesnt even have flour,sugar white pasta,chips and garbage food anywhere in their house still have this problem? I went through this with my last 2 pregnancies. The last one the nurse yelled at me in her office and had me crying because she INSISTED I HAD to be eating sugar. She kept telling me that if I kept eating junk my baby could be way overweight and what a risk I was putting my child at. Right my last 2 only weighed 7 lbs 8oz and 7 lbs 4 oz.  My husband also know's I eat right and has even got on people for trying to tell me about "portion sizes",and even the types of food to eat.      Now what has been your success rate with type 2 diabetics? Any advice or question I should ask the doctor when I go?
Most studies show a 60-70% resolution rate of type II diabetes after gastric banding.  The statistics are definitely in your favor!

jla734
on 8/6/08 1:56 pm - DE
  Thanks for your reply. I have the pre op appt Aug 15 and still don't know if my ins will approve. I am VERY concerned because ins wanted like a gazillion things shown where I have tried WW or LA weight-loss or Atkins etc. I tried several. Didn't like getting "weighed in" as I can workout like crazy and eat clean and my weight loss is at a snails pace. I have been walking 3 miles per day over the past month and drum roll please have lost only 6 pounds!!! I am talking speed walking and eating clean. 

What do you think of the new device currently in FDA trails? The tube you insert down your patients throat and it bypasses the first part of the upper intestine? I have heard VERY promising reports about this on Fox news. If ins denies me lap-band would there be anyway I could be in this trail? I don't want to lose limbs and eyesight etc. This is said to be THE cure for type 2 and I want in.
DrC
on 8/6/08 9:06 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On August 6, 2008 at 8:56 PM Pacific Time, jla734 wrote:
  Thanks for your reply. I have the pre op appt Aug 15 and still don't know if my ins will approve. I am VERY concerned because ins wanted like a gazillion things shown where I have tried WW or LA weight-loss or Atkins etc. I tried several. Didn't like getting "weighed in" as I can workout like crazy and eat clean and my weight loss is at a snails pace. I have been walking 3 miles per day over the past month and drum roll please have lost only 6 pounds!!! I am talking speed walking and eating clean. 

What do you think of the new device currently in FDA trails? The tube you insert down your patients throat and it bypasses the first part of the upper intestine? I have heard VERY promising reports about this on Fox news. If ins denies me lap-band would there be anyway I could be in this trail? I don't want to lose limbs and eyesight etc. This is said to be THE cure for type 2 and I want in.
These devices are far from being ready for general use.  I heard a paper presented at the ASMBS in June, and nobody tolerated the device for more than 6 weeks.

jla734
on 8/7/08 12:03 am - DE
  Thanks. Ok another question would an obese type 2 lose weight if out intestine were simply rerounted? I mean without cutting into our stomachs? Let's say the type 2 is already eating a great diet and exercises.... Would simply bypassing the upper foot GI fix us?If our sugar comes under control we would pos be able to lose excess weight with having to go more extreme like the RNY?
DrC
on 8/14/08 4:17 am - Cincinnati, OH
Our success rate with type II diabetes is pretty good. Most studies show 60-80% resolution.

Most Active