Ask Dr. Curry!

chemgirl1970
on 12/25/08 2:08 pm
Hi Dr. Curry,

I just had the realize band surgery on Monday, December 22nd.  My surgeon was pleased with how easily the procedure went - I am a rule follower, so I followed all of the pre-op requirements.

Recovery has been fine so far - not even very much air in my shoulders.  However, tonight I am battling some acid reflux.  It is not painful, but very annoying gurgling and rumbling in my stomach.

I took 40 mg of prilosec before surgery but my surgeon told me I didn't need to take it anymore after Monday.

Is this a normal part of recovery?  Will it go away?  How can I treat it in the meantime?

Thank you so much for your help.

DrC
on 1/3/09 7:31 am - Cincinnati, OH
On December 25, 2008 at 10:08 PM Pacific Time, chemgirl1970 wrote:
Hi Dr. Curry,

I just had the realize band surgery on Monday, December 22nd.  My surgeon was pleased with how easily the procedure went - I am a rule follower, so I followed all of the pre-op requirements.

Recovery has been fine so far - not even very much air in my shoulders.  However, tonight I am battling some acid reflux.  It is not painful, but very annoying gurgling and rumbling in my stomach.

I took 40 mg of prilosec before surgery but my surgeon told me I didn't need to take it anymore after Monday.

Is this a normal part of recovery?  Will it go away?  How can I treat it in the meantime?

Thank you so much for your help.

I would just go back on the Prilosec.  Some patients have a lot of swelling for a while after surgery which can cause reflux to persist for a while.

Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
carolw1229
on 1/15/09 5:28 am
VSG on 10/18/17
I had my first fill on Tuesday under Floro at the hospital. My surgeon had the radiologist do the fill and he watched. My port is pretty deep in my abdomen due to my large belly. My surgeon said the next fill will be in his office and I should keep the needle marked on my abdomen with a pen so he can find it. Should all fills be done under floro? I am afraid it will be difficult to find the port. I have 4cc in my Realize Band now and have a feeling of tightness in my chest, which I assume is the stoma reacting to the fill. I can drink liquids and eat soft food with out any problems. Does this sound normal?
smilan
on 3/13/09 10:31 am - GA
lalizarde
on 3/19/09 1:17 am
 Hi!  I'm wondering why you or another doctor isn't on the VSG board, especially since that board gets so much more traffic than this one does.  We could really use a doctor on that board.

Thanks!

I'm 5' 8.5"
westwalker
on 3/21/09 11:27 am - NC
Hi Dr. Curry,
I have a question. I am 3 weeks post op. I am on a pureed diet, 1/2 cup every 2 hours, six times per day. I am having problems with being excessively hungry, so hungry that I develop a headache. The headache doesn't go away with medication, and all I can do is go to bed to get it to go away. I tried something...once a day I eat 2 avocados, which actually comes to a cup or a little more, and I feel more full the rest of the day. Do you think this is ok? I don't like eating all the fat that's in the avocados, but it seems to help.

ONe other question...what is the purpose of an 700-800 calorie diet? I've been told that when I advance to solid food, I should eat no more than 800-1000 calories. It seems so low. I've always understood that to avoid malnutrition, you should eat no less than 900 calories. I am taking the bariatric vitamins. I am just wanting an explanation of the reason for the very low calorie diet.

Thanks so much for your time.
westwalker
on 3/21/09 11:36 am - NC
Hi Dr. Curry,
I hope I am posting in the right place, and I hope you don't get the same message twice. I am three weeks post op and eating pureed diet, 1/2 cup every 6 hours, six times a day. I get very, very hungry, to the point of a headache. The headache doesn't go away with medication and I have to go to bed to get relief. I recently started mashing up two avocados per day and eating them, which is closer to 1 1/4 cups . I eat it all at once, but it seems to help alleviate hunger the rest of the day. Is this oK? I don't like eating all the fat, but it seems to help.

Also, I just have a question about the caloric intact...700-800 cals per day seems so low, and even when I start eating solid, I am told that I should eat only 800-1000 at the most. Why such a low number of calories? Most supervised diets I have been on have been 1200 cals at a minimum, and I remember from nutrition classes that less than 900 calories per day risks malnutrition. I am taking my bariatric vitamins,though. Thanks for your time.
westwalker
on 3/24/09 3:12 am - NC
Hi Dr. Curry,
Just a couple of questions. I am almost 4 weeks post op with the Realize band. I had been getting so hungry that I was getting headaches, not relieved with medication. The only way I could stop them was to go to sleep, which is not always convenient! I am on a pureed diet, eating 1/2 cup every 2 hours, six times a day. I can actually fit much more than that in. I decided to start eating avocados, mushed up, once a day, about a cup full. It helps keep me fuller the rest of the day. Is that ok? I am getting in all of my protein and then some, by the way, and drinking my 8 glasses of water per day.

One other question...every diet I have ever been on has recommended a bare minimum of 1200 calories. I am told to eat 700-800 calories now, and when I progress to soft food, to eat no more than 1000. What is the reasoning behind this.

Thanks for your time! Tonya West
tgrar
on 5/30/09 7:41 am
Hi, I am scheduled to have a Videoarthroscopy on June 18, 2009 for a tear in the lat. and med. menescus. I had surgery for a tron menescus on my right knee 2 monthes ago and was walking pain free the next day. I am now scheduled for the lap band on June 25, 2009 which I am very excited about. I plan on having a spinal for the knee surgery just like last time and I assume I will be having  a general for the lap band. Do you feel that there is any reason why I couldn't have both surgeries seven days apart?  I jhave passed all pre op tests including an echocardiogram and stress test. Thankyou for response.  
topaz11
on 6/6/09 12:24 am, edited 6/6/09 12:24 am
Hello Dr. Curry,  I will be getting the realize band in July.  Hiatal hernia surgery will be performed at the same time. My question is should I expect a longer recovery time than usual when it come to eating or going back to work ?  Thanks Topaz11
Most Active