Ask Dr. Curry!

nulife4me76
on 1/28/09 1:48 am - Loganville, GA

Dear Dr. Curry,

I'm really hoping you can help me with my decision.  My insurance has recently approved bariatric surgeries.  I think I have found a surgeon, I meet with him for the 1st time in Feb.  I am having a hard time choosing between the RNY and the Realize Band.  I have atleast 170 pounds to loose.  I work in the medical profession and have seen many, many, many patients post RNY who have horrible complications, or have gained all their weight back plus some.  I have not met one single person who doesn't absolutely love their band.  Let me also say that I have seen some RNY patients that would do it all over again, despite their complications.  My first problem with the RNY is that it's permanent.  IF for whatever reason I had complications afterwards, it's not like the Dr. could go back in and undo what was done, however with the band, if complications came up they could certainly go in and undo what was done.  I'm also a little weary of going to a Dr. that I know nothing about, other than what I can find on the internet, is located out of state etc. My second problem is with as much weight as I have to loose is it possible to loose it with the band.  For some reason a lot of people think the band is only for people who have a minimum amount of weight to loose.  Last question... i'm already anemic.  Is the likely hood of this getting worse with the RNY versus the band?   Am I over thinking this?  Has RNY become alot safer with fewer risks of complications?  Or should I trust my instinct and go with the band.  You seem very nice and willing to help people who come to you with questions, hope I didn't ask to many.  Thank you again for reading my post.

kiz
on 1/30/09 10:27 am, edited 1/30/09 10:27 am
Dr. Curry,  

I have a question regarding fill level. I was banded the first of Sep., and I've had six fills. At my third fill they pulled out 1.2cc less saline than had been put in my band with my previous two fills, so they recalculated my fill amount as 1.2cc less. I have good restriction with my fills, but the restriction starts to wane after about two weeks, but doesn't completely go away.  

My last fill, three weeks ago, brought me to a total of 8.5cc according to their records. Again, after two weeks, I noticed a loss in restriction, so I called for a check. Today, my doctor only pulled 7cc  out of my band. He then added an additional 1cc. Now, he has my total as 8cc.

I would think it could be closer to 10.7cc rather than the 8cc they have recorded, or I have a leak. The doctor has assured me that he's confident that I don't have a leak. The fill was done under fluoro, and it shows I have very good restriction now.  

I would very much appreciate your opinion on this.   Thank for your help.  
DrC
on 1/31/09 4:52 am - Cincinnati, OH
On January 30, 2009 at 6:27 PM Pacific Time, kiz wrote:
Dr. Curry,  

I have a question regarding fill level. I was banded the first of Sep., and I've had six fills. At my third fill they pulled out 1.2cc less saline than had been put in my band with my previous two fills, so they recalculated my fill amount as 1.2cc less. I have good restriction with my fills, but the restriction starts to wane after about two weeks, but doesn't completely go away.  

My last fill, three weeks ago, brought me to a total of 8.5cc according to their records. Again, after two weeks, I noticed a loss in restriction, so I called for a check. Today, my doctor only pulled 7cc  out of my band. He then added an additional 1cc. Now, he has my total as 8cc.

I would think it could be closer to 10.7cc rather than the 8cc they have recorded, or I have a leak. The doctor has assured me that he's confident that I don't have a leak. The fill was done under fluoro, and it shows I have very good restriction now.  

I would very much appreciate your opinion on this.   Thank for your help.  
With the Realize you cannot always pull all of the fluid out, in fact it is recommended that you only track the amounts put in, not like the older Lap Bands where you would count the amount that you pull out + the extra that you put in.  Leaks can sometimes be diagnosed by injecting dye into the port, but if your surgeon doesn't feel you have a leak then I wouldn't get too worried.

Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
DrC
on 1/31/09 4:50 am - Cincinnati, OH
On January 28, 2009 at 9:48 AM Pacific Time, nulife4me76 wrote:

Dear Dr. Curry,

I'm really hoping you can help me with my decision.  My insurance has recently approved bariatric surgeries.  I think I have found a surgeon, I meet with him for the 1st time in Feb.  I am having a hard time choosing between the RNY and the Realize Band.  I have atleast 170 pounds to loose.  I work in the medical profession and have seen many, many, many patients post RNY who have horrible complications, or have gained all their weight back plus some.  I have not met one single person who doesn't absolutely love their band.  Let me also say that I have seen some RNY patients that would do it all over again, despite their complications.  My first problem with the RNY is that it's permanent.  IF for whatever reason I had complications afterwards, it's not like the Dr. could go back in and undo what was done, however with the band, if complications came up they could certainly go in and undo what was done.  I'm also a little weary of going to a Dr. that I know nothing about, other than what I can find on the internet, is located out of state etc. My second problem is with as much weight as I have to loose is it possible to loose it with the band.  For some reason a lot of people think the band is only for people who have a minimum amount of weight to loose.  Last question... i'm already anemic.  Is the likely hood of this getting worse with the RNY versus the band?   Am I over thinking this?  Has RNY become alot safer with fewer risks of complications?  Or should I trust my instinct and go with the band.  You seem very nice and willing to help people who come to you with questions, hope I didn't ask to many.  Thank you again for reading my post.

If you have anemia problems the bypass may not be a great option as that is a risk of the procedure that is inherent.  RNY is definitely much safer and less invasive than it was in days past.  As far as being comfortable with your surgeon, being in Georgia you have a lot of very good options.  Do your research and you'll be fine I'm sure.
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
smilan
on 3/13/09 10:34 am - GA
Hi Dr. Curry,

I thought I would be getting lap band, and have done all my research on it. I found out wednesday that I am getting realize. I have been doing some looking around, and it appears that realize patients have a significantly slower rate of weight loss, and also they seem to have a problem getting good restriction. With all of the blog and forum sites out there, it's all Im reading from them. No restriction, barely any weight loss.   I must admit I am now frightened that I will have this procedure done w/the realize band, and have no success. While I understand my role in my success, I need the band to do it's job also. Please let me know your opinion on this. 
  Of course I trust Dr. Steinberg, I just want the most help in the band I get.  
DrC
on 3/22/09 3:24 am - Cincinnati, OH
On March 13, 2009 at 5:34 PM Pacific Time, smilan wrote:
Hi Dr. Curry,

I thought I would be getting lap band, and have done all my research on it. I found out wednesday that I am getting realize. I have been doing some looking around, and it appears that realize patients have a significantly slower rate of weight loss, and also they seem to have a problem getting good restriction. With all of the blog and forum sites out there, it's all Im reading from them. No restriction, barely any weight loss.   I must admit I am now frightened that I will have this procedure done w/the realize band, and have no success. While I understand my role in my success, I need the band to do it's job also. Please let me know your opinion on this. 
  Of course I trust Dr. Steinberg, I just want the most help in the band I get.  
We have many Realize patients with great weight loss, and only 1 that I can think of that we haven't been able to achieve restriction on, at least with less than 9cc.  I am a much bigger fan of the Realize-C than the original Realize, so you might see if that's an option. 

DrC
on 3/23/09 2:15 am - Cincinnati, OH
On March 23, 2009 at 4:13 AM Pacific Time, patfine wrote:

dr c

i had  surgery 5 years ago. everything was good lost 100 lbs. in the past few months i gained like 20 lbs and am hungray all the time and my stomach has constant pain where the pouch is. i  am tired alll the time and getting depressed. what do you think it is an what i should do. are you avaliable i will come to you.  pattie

Pattie,

You need an upper GI.  Ask your surgeon to order one. I'd be happy to look at the images.

peachwood
on 3/25/09 12:08 pm, edited 3/25/09 12:11 pm - Milltown, NJ
Hi, Dr. Curry
I had the Realize C band placed on 2/10/09.  As it is so new, I was wondering what your short experience with this new band was - weight loss, restriction needs, food intolerances, etc.
I have not had a fill yet and I can eat everything I could pre-op. I know I need a fill to expedite the weight loss. But so far I am so glad I can tolerate everything - dry, moist, chewy and I tried everything on the food problem list. With a fill that may all change!  Just was wondering what was happening in the field with the Realize C band.
DrC
on 3/30/09 11:50 am - Cincinnati, OH
On March 25, 2009 at 7:08 PM Pacific Time, peachwood wrote:
Hi, Dr. Curry
I had the Realize C band placed on 2/10/09.  As it is so new, I was wondering what your short experience with this new band was - weight loss, restriction needs, food intolerances, etc.
I have not had a fill yet and I can eat everything I could pre-op. I know I need a fill to expedite the weight loss. But so far I am so glad I can tolerate everything - dry, moist, chewy and I tried everything on the food problem list. With a fill that may all change!  Just was wondering what was happening in the field with the Realize C band.
We have had fantastic success with the Realize C band.  So far, I love it!

SWAT_RN
on 3/28/09 10:35 am
Dr. Curry,
I have type II diabetes and in my estimation should lose about 70 pounds.  My endocrinologist recommended that I consider lap band.  I've read several research articles about diabetes and the various gut hormones that affect it; considering this and that the role of these hormones isn't totally clear, is there any one bariatric procedure that is more effective than the others?

BTW I'm going to be attending the seminar Apr. 4 and if I could, I'd have you do my procedure that very day!  I'm ready and sick of being sick.

Amy

SWAT_RN

Most Active