Ask Dr. Curry!

bandinside
on 1/14/09 8:01 am - Cincinnati, OH
Dr. Curry -

I was banded on August 28, 2008 and have lost only 30 pounds.  I have had a lot of trouble getting restriction and I am up to 7.5 cc's.  My NP (I never see the Dr.) said that this is the highest she has ever seen anyone go without having good restriction!  She said that maybe you would know if this is "normal" or not with the Realize band since your practice is much bigger... Since I am so high up there, they are reluctant to give me more than .5 cc's when I go in for a fill.  I am so frustrated and discouraged and getting depressed.  I need help!     
DrC
on 1/16/09 9:37 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On January 14, 2009 at 4:01 PM Pacific Time, bandinside wrote:
Dr. Curry -

I was banded on August 28, 2008 and have lost only 30 pounds.  I have had a lot of trouble getting restriction and I am up to 7.5 cc's.  My NP (I never see the Dr.) said that this is the highest she has ever seen anyone go without having good restriction!  She said that maybe you would know if this is "normal" or not with the Realize band since your practice is much bigger... Since I am so high up there, they are reluctant to give me more than .5 cc's when I go in for a fill.  I am so frustrated and discouraged and getting depressed.  I need help!     
We have some Realize patients that are up close to 9cc, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.  That last 1.5cc controls 10x more restriction than the first 1.5cc's.

If you live in Cincy stop by and see our band exercise/nutrition center some time!

Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
sknd34
on 1/16/09 9:49 am - West Fargo, ND
On Monday, I will be 2 weeks post-op with the Realize Band. I am on the mushies diet for another 1 1/2 weeks. Today I pureed 2 oz of very moist chicken and about 2 tablespoons of green beans. With about one bite left, I start to get mid back pain (at about the same level as I would expect to get epigastric pain if overeating). Has anybody heard of this?  I have nothing in my band, but suppose that I still have some post-op swelling. Any help is appreciated.  Thanks
Steph
DrC
on 1/16/09 9:35 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On January 16, 2009 at 5:49 PM Pacific Time, sknd34 wrote:
On Monday, I will be 2 weeks post-op with the Realize Band. I am on the mushies diet for another 1 1/2 weeks. Today I pureed 2 oz of very moist chicken and about 2 tablespoons of green beans. With about one bite left, I start to get mid back pain (at about the same level as I would expect to get epigastric pain if overeating). Has anybody heard of this?  I have nothing in my band, but suppose that I still have some post-op swelling. Any help is appreciated.  Thanks
Steph
Chicken can be rough for band patients, my guess is that even with it pureed you just weren't ready for it.  Possibly you overloaded your pouch just a bit.  Let your surgeon know if it happens again.

DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
carolw1229
on 1/24/09 1:43 am
VSG on 10/18/17
Dear Dr. Curry, 
I  had my first fill on Tuesday under Floro at the hospital.  My Realize Band surgery was 12-10-08. My surgeon had the radiologist do the fill and he watched. My port is pretty deep in my abdomen due to my large belly. My surgeon said the next fill will be in his office and I should keep the needle marked on my abdomen with a pen so he can find it. Should all fills be done under floro? I am afraid it will be difficult to find the port. I have 4cc in my Realize Band now and have a feeling of tightness in my chest, which I assume is the stoma reacting to the fill. I can drink liquids and eat soft food with out any problems. Does this sound normal?
Thanks, Carol
DrC
on 1/24/09 9:23 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On January 24, 2009 at 9:43 AM Pacific Time, carolw1229 wrote:
Dear Dr. Curry, 
I  had my first fill on Tuesday under Floro at the hospital.  My Realize Band surgery was 12-10-08. My surgeon had the radiologist do the fill and he watched. My port is pretty deep in my abdomen due to my large belly. My surgeon said the next fill will be in his office and I should keep the needle marked on my abdomen with a pen so he can find it. Should all fills be done under floro? I am afraid it will be difficult to find the port. I have 4cc in my Realize Band now and have a feeling of tightness in my chest, which I assume is the stoma reacting to the fill. I can drink liquids and eat soft food with out any problems. Does this sound normal?
Thanks, Carol
We rarely have trouble finding ports, but we have done over 20,000 band adjustments.  I don't find marking the skin to help that much because the skin shifts depending on gravity but the port stays in the same place all the time.  It's not uncommon at all to not feel much difference with liquids and soft foods after just one adjustment, it usually takes 2-3 to really get going.
sharvey1963
on 1/25/09 6:57 am - Borden, IN
Dr. Curry, 

I have a question about drinking wine with the Realize Band, I am not a every day drinking, I just like to ave a drink ever now and than, I haven't had any wine or anything since I had my surgery on June 30, I am down 55 lbs.  But I was in the store the other day and was thinking about getting some wine to drink, but I didn't because I wasn't sure that I could drink wine with the band. 

Any information on this would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Have a geat week.

Susan
Susan
Realize Band ,1st fill 3cc - Aug 14, 08,2nd fill 1cc  - Oct 2, 08
3rd fill  2cc - Nov 13, 08,4th fill1cc - Jan 8, 09,5th fill 3/4 cc - March 26, 09

DrC
on 1/25/09 9:50 am - Cincinnati, OH
On January 25, 2009 at 2:57 PM Pacific Time, sharvey1963 wrote:
Dr. Curry, 

I have a question about drinking wine with the Realize Band, I am not a every day drinking, I just like to ave a drink ever now and than, I haven't had any wine or anything since I had my surgery on June 30, I am down 55 lbs.  But I was in the store the other day and was thinking about getting some wine to drink, but I didn't because I wasn't sure that I could drink wine with the band. 

Any information on this would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Have a geat week.

Susan
Susan,

I don't think an occasional glass of wine is a problem.  Just keep in mind that it is liquid calorie intake, which is in general frowned upon for band patients.

sharvey1963
on 1/25/09 8:38 pm - Borden, IN
I just don't want anything to mess up my banding, I have waited so long for this and I like I am doing well.  I just don't want the wine to erode my banding.  Do you thing that would happen?

Susan
Realize Band ,1st fill 3cc - Aug 14, 08,2nd fill 1cc  - Oct 2, 08
3rd fill  2cc - Nov 13, 08,4th fill1cc - Jan 8, 09,5th fill 3/4 cc - March 26, 09

DrC
on 1/31/09 4:49 am - Cincinnati, OH
On January 26, 2009 at 4:38 AM Pacific Time, sharvey1963 wrote:
I just don't want anything to mess up my banding, I have waited so long for this and I like I am doing well.  I just don't want the wine to erode my banding.  Do you thing that would happen?

Never heard of it, and can't imagine it happening.
Most Active