Ask Dr. Curry!

tbuggs
on 10/29/08 12:51 am - Longmont, CO
DrC
on 10/29/08 5:20 am - Cincinnati, OH
On October 29, 2008 at 7:51 AM Pacific Time, tbuggs wrote:
Hi Dr. curry, I am two weeks out and on mushies. I am following the rules except I am  not eating as often as I should due to not being hungry. I get my protein and liquids in like I should.  Sometime I am not able to measure my food, but I try to eye-ball it. Is this normal and if i eat a little more than a half of a cup will this stretch my pouch?

Tiffany
Tiffany,
Since your band has not yet been tightened this is VERY normal.  Just control your portions as best you can.

Trace W. Curry, M.D.  -- Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy
Cincinnati, Ohio & Northern Ky    http://www.TheBandDoctor.com   
513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND
DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
crystal M.
on 11/1/08 10:30 am - Joliet, IL
Hello Dr. Curry

I am going through my six month doctor supervised diet and hoping to get approved.  I have to choose between the AP Lap Band or the Realize band.  I read on here a comment you made about suggesting the AP Lap Band over the Realize band for patients with a BMI over 50.  Can you elaborate as to why you would suggest the Lap band.  My BMI is over 50. 

Thank you for your help.  Its much appreciated.

DrC
on 11/1/08 9:48 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On November 1, 2008 at 5:30 PM Pacific Time, cmagouirk wrote:
Hello Dr. Curry

I am going through my six month doctor supervised diet and hoping to get approved.  I have to choose between the AP Lap Band or the Realize band.  I read on here a comment you made about suggesting the AP Lap Band over the Realize band for patients with a BMI over 50.  Can you elaborate as to why you would suggest the Lap band.  My BMI is over 50. 

Thank you for your help.  Its much appreciated.

The AP large band is sometimes the best fit for a high BMI patient as it is the widest band, however there is a new model of Realize coming out soon which will better accomodate higher BMI'ers.

DISCLAIMER:  Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only.  Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!
RedDragonLady
on 11/21/08 3:42 am - Morgantown, WV
Dear Dr. Curry,
I was wondering about the long term durability of the Realize Band. My doc stated that they have been in use for about 15 years, so no one knows how long beyond that the band may last. I am 29 and recently banded. I hope to live for a very long time, but I am curious if I might have to replace the band on 15 to 20 years.
DrC
on 12/1/08 8:22 am - Cincinnati, OH
On November 21, 2008 at 11:42 AM Pacific Time, RedDragonLady wrote:
Dear Dr. Curry,
I was wondering about the long term durability of the Realize Band. My doc stated that they have been in use for about 15 years, so no one knows how long beyond that the band may last. I am 29 and recently banded. I hope to live for a very long time, but I am curious if I might have to replace the band on 15 to 20 years.
The Realize band has been around for the same number of years as the Lap Band.  They have both been modified over the years however.  There is no indication that they have a definite "shelf life" at this point.

tbines401
on 11/21/08 11:11 am - Columbia, SC
Dr. Curry

I will be banded on Dec 2 and I was told by my surgeons office to get on the atkind diet for 14 days and stay on it. The problem is I can't too much protien is trigger my mirgranes. I have to have a little Carbs is that dangerous or will I will ok. I am not sure the purpose of this because all doctors don't require it and my liver test and all my labs were good.
DrC
on 12/1/08 8:23 am - Cincinnati, OH
On November 21, 2008 at 7:11 PM Pacific Time, tbines401 wrote:
Dr. Curry

I will be banded on Dec 2 and I was told by my surgeons office to get on the atkind diet for 14 days and stay on it. The problem is I can't too much protien is trigger my mirgranes. I have to have a little Carbs is that dangerous or will I will ok. I am not sure the purpose of this because all doctors don't require it and my liver test and all my labs were good.
I'm afraid you'll have to ask your surgeon on this one, I wouldn't want to give any advice that might interfere with his or her plan for you!

Melissa154
on 12/1/08 9:52 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 05/19/14
Dr. Curry,

I am very embarrased to ask this but is it possible for a person to just fail miserably?  I was banded in April of 2008 and have only lost 25lbs and most of that was pre-op due to the liquid diet.  I am constantly hungry and have no will power.  I feel little or no restriction.  I am afraid that my band is not working. Most of the tiem I dont een know it is there. I can eat pretty much anything and have no ill effects.  Do you have any suggestions? I don't want to fail and I am scared to tell my surgeon that I am not doing well.

Melissa
DrC
on 12/1/08 9:57 pm - Cincinnati, OH
On December 1, 2008 at 5:52 PM Pacific Time, Melissa154 wrote:
Dr. Curry,

I am very embarrased to ask this but is it possible for a person to just fail miserably?  I was banded in April of 2008 and have only lost 25lbs and most of that was pre-op due to the liquid diet.  I am constantly hungry and have no will power.  I feel little or no restriction.  I am afraid that my band is not working. Most of the tiem I dont een know it is there. I can eat pretty much anything and have no ill effects.  Do you have any suggestions? I don't want to fail and I am scared to tell my surgeon that I am not doing well.

Melissa
Melissa,
Of course it is possible to fail, the band is just a tool and it works as well as you use it.   However, I wouldn't be so hard on yourself.  Your weight loss at 6 months is right at about a pound a week, which is right on track.  If you have no restriction, that's a big part of your problem.  The band isn't helping you at all if you have no restriction.  Follow up with Dr. Kim, he's a smart guy and a good surgeon and he'll help you figure it out.

Most Active