low iron

tygercub82
on 3/4/13 1:35 am - TX
RNY on 01/13/12 with

I am 17 wks pregnant and just had some labs done. My calcium was low and so was my iron. I am taking calcium twice a day as well as a prenatal and multi so we just added an extra calcium. what I am worried about is the constipation that seems to come with an iron supplement, any recommendations for that that are pregnancy safe??  I was having enough trouble with being regular without any help...thanks!!

Paula622
on 3/4/13 2:36 am

Can you tolerate fruit juice?  I know it is a lot of sugar, but if it gets things moving, I find it worth it.  With my last pregnancy, I drank 4oz of apple juice (watered down to make 8oz) twice a day and it really kept me regular.

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

Stacey D.
on 3/4/13 2:54 am - Harrisonburg, VA

Benefiber is my only solution, I have to take iron twice a day, nothing else works for me. 

Stacey
RNY-10/27/04

AngelNichole
on 3/4/13 4:58 am - OH
RNY on 02/21/12

I have to take Chewable Fiber pills or I wouldnt be able to go at all!  I take like 6 chewables a day some times nine And I still only go once a week. Plus I drink a crap ton of water

Alice P.
on 3/4/13 5:06 am

I doubled my iron when they tested me at 27 weeks and it came out low for the first time and I haven't had any added problems.  I do take colace daily--I take 2 but there is probably colace in your prenatal so I would check that before you add any.

HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

SassySamara
on 3/4/13 6:22 am - San Antonio, TX

I am in the same boat. I use Fruit, Nuts (Prunes, Dates, Raisins, Apples, Trail Mix) if you want natural. Otherwise I also use Miralax as needed....I just mix it in to my drink and it is clear and has no taste. I don't need much and not as harsh as other laxatives/softeners. Also try to get in as much fluids (water, juice,etc) as possible and not so much caffeine or high sugar drinks which can contribute to the issue.

Lilypie - (8swr) Lilypie - (XAvt)

Lianne C.
on 3/4/13 2:21 pm - Garden City, MI
I find that my bariatric advantage iron supplements seem to make me less constipated than others. Not sure if it is the same for everyone else. Plus I east a lot of fruit and veggies lately too. Been pretty regular.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1372 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 931 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1424 views