Do you give in to cravings??

Kristine E.
on 9/29/11 10:48 am - VA
RNY on 01/27/11 with
I'm pretty good about not giving in, but both my surgeon and OB told me to increase my daily calories. Yesterday, I ate some ice cream, and I feel soooo guilty! Today I wanted fries, so I made DD sweet potato fries and ate a few. I feel so guilty :-/
Becca R.
on 9/29/11 11:45 am - WA
I try not to give into the bad craving, ice cream, fast food, junk but i had some nachos from taco bell today and honeslty even though I had crazy cravings it tasted really gross after a few bites. so I will try to stick to my healthier munchies from now on. but I dont feel guilty over it cause I could never eat the amounts that I could pre-op and I ate whatever and how much I wanted for yrs so the fact that I can say no makes me feel good :)
imnotknitting
on 9/29/11 10:19 pm

Yes, I do give into cravings sometimes. I haven't been doing a great job saying no to myself lately. I didn't really have to with my last pregnancy because I craved fruit and I wouldn't say no to that. This time I am craving much worse things...say Dunkin Donuts coffee rolls so I am working to control these new bad cravings. I don't eat them every day, but I do eat one probably once a week. It's the only way I stay sane. I also try to replace cravings with other healthier things...like replacing a chocolate craving with a Fiber One chocolate and oats bar. If I eat fries, I get a child size. If I have an ice cream craving, I have a skinny cow. It works pretty well most of the time. I am also further out from surgery than you (you had surgery on my birthday this year ) so I think that makes a difference. Right around this time where you are in my experience it was really hard for me to figure out that I really wasn't eating too much for a normal human being, it just felt like a lot compared to what I ate pre-surgery. It was a tough adjustment and you've got pregnancy on top of it. All I would say is that if your doc wants you to eat more calories, you gotta do, but maybe ice cream isn't what he/she meant. If you need high calories so you get enough, think avacado, olives, chees etc...but have ice cream sometimes too...it;s necessary for your sanity!

Mommy to 2 of the most beauiful little girls in the whole universe and still in love with my hubby of 8 years. LIFE IS GOOD!
USAF Wife
on 9/29/11 11:02 pm, edited 9/29/11 11:03 pm
Maybe it's because I refuse to beat myself up over food choices that I do not feel guilt for giving into cravings. I don't celebrate and do cartwheels when I crave a hearty salad. So, I'm not going to beat myself up for having some sorbet, or other decadent "no no' food.

I knew cravings would be part of this process. My 2nd trimester brought the most insane, absurd, and intense cravings and head hunger. For the most part, I would crave Thai or Mexican foods. I've never been a sweet craver/eater, but then at 9:30pm, I'd be slammed with a red velvet cake craving, and my poor husband would strap on his shoes, run to Publix and get me an individual slice. One night at 10:30pm, Publix was closed, I got up and attempted to make a red velvet cake, no eggs, subbed applesauce, EPIC failure on the cake holding shape. BUT, you know what happened, I ate that damn cake as it fell apart on my plate, I mixed the cake with the icing, and had my damn cake. My husband was shocked and so confused. I went to bed content, craving resolved and the remaining cake went in the trash.

Least to say, I give in. I fight it for a few days, but I found is that if I forbid that food for too long, I'm going to binge on it. If I want a Snickers, I have 2-3 miniatures over the course of a day, and that resolves it. I'm just not going to feel guilt, shame or anything close to those feelings over having those foods.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

LoveLikeWinter
on 9/30/11 12:00 am
I usually do but only because my cravings aren't too bad. I only really want fruit, and I can have that. I DO have horribly intense cravings for a chicken quesadilla from Taco Bell and a blizzard from DQ but they both make me horribly sick after just a few bites, so those are a no go. Those are the only cravings I get- fruit, the quesadilla, and a blizzard. Guess I'm lucky that way. I usually force myself to eat, actually. Between the constant vomiting and nausea and the constant feeling of walking around with a lead ball in my stomach, I'm beginning to hate eating again :(
_Heather_
Il faut souffrir pour être belle

"When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story." -Barney Stinson/Neil Patrick Harris

Lost 169 lb before getting pregnant!
Mama to Aleksandar J.B., 11.26.11 <3 Now I know what true love REALLY is! <3
hockeybabe2u
on 9/30/11 1:27 am - Allegan, MI
You ladies have more control than I do.  I usually give into my cravings and that is probably why I'm almost 40lbs over my pre-baby weight.  I know I'm giving this pregnancy a reason to eat the extra sweets or not so good for me foods.  I also know I have it in me to get serious with myself once the baby is born and get back on track to loose the weight I gained.  I found in the beginning of my pregnancy, I craved more food and needed more food to substain me.....now that I'm in my 9th month of pregnancy, I find myself eating less and actually lost a couple of pounds.  Also, my motto is and has been for some time now to eat in moderation (whi*****ludes those foods that are unhealthy).  I'm over 7.5 years post-op and was able to maintain my weight that way until I had my last son...in which I had lost all but 8lbs of my pregnancy weight at my 6 weeks check up.  Over the next 1.5 years I found myself gaining an additional 12 pounds before I got serious about my diet and exercise and did something about it to loose those additional pounds.  So overall, I feel I have been very successfull with my surgery, weight loss and maintance!

Lilypie - (XOJP)Lilypie - (5Vrv)Lilypie - (DpEi)Lilypie - (qPOc)

200 PoundsGone
on 9/30/11 9:52 am
I would be lying if I did not say I did not cave once in awhile.  What set me back is the formation of bad habits.  Like you I was told by my doctor to increase my intake so he wanted me to eat 6 small meals a day.  I had carried this bad habit into my everyday life even after having my baby.  It took me awhile to get back to regular eating routine.  I would say carry healthy stuff with you so when you get that urge you already have something to satisfy you.  I know this is said to be a No No but I did chew gum but I responsibly discarded it in the trash and always careful to never swallow it

Come follow me on Instagram @200poundsgone
HW: 420.. Maybe more
413 (7/14/2005
)
260 (6/10/2010)
260 (09/28/2011)- No Weight Loss but the inches are dropping OFF *ZUMBA BABY*
204 (06/02/2013)- In the BEST shape of my life. Addicted to FITNESS

(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 9:40 am - Woodbridge, VA
Increasing calories shouldn't translate to eating ice cream  :P    I do not cave to cravings. If I want something like fruit, then sure, but pizza, ice cream, pasta, candy, pastries...hell no. Pregnant or not, it's never been a good idea, so why would it be good now? We've all struggled with weight and developing healthier habits, and I don't want to use pregnancy as an excuse to undo so much of my hard work and success.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1359 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 920 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1412 views