RNY nursing mommas....

sjburt1
on 9/26/11 10:27 am
I know it isn't to do with the surgery, but my supply has been dwindling. I've started the Mother's Milk Tea and I was just wondering if anyone else with rny has used it. It says 3-5 times a day, and I'm wondering if I should go with the higher number because of the absorbtion rate. I started saturday afternoon and have noticed a little difference, but I'm not pumping enough to get her through the next day. I know I can take fenugreek, but I wanted to try this first.
Stephanie
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Paula622
on 9/26/11 10:53 am
Pumping for the next day of work can be really stressful, which can hurt your milk supply.  Also, it is hard to get as much pumping as what the baby would be able to draw out naturally... definitely makes it hard for working moms to keep up, I've been there and give you major kudos for your efforts!  One thing that will really help (if you like/ can tolerate it) is to have a beer.  Something about the hops gives you an almost immediate increase in supply.  Just don't do it right before nursing, lol.  If you have a beer before bed (assuming this is your longest break in feedings) you should be able to feed and pump at the next feeding, plus it will give you an overall boost in supply.  I heard this one from a lot of moms (and a few lactation consultants) but unfortunately I HATE the taste of beer.  Good luck!

~ Paula
219/185/127/121/119
HW/SW/Original Goal/CW/New Goal 
Post WLS baby, born 11/10/11 and 3/20/14

sjburt1
on 9/27/11 11:33 am
I also can't stand beer! I liked it for a little while when I was 19-20, but that was short lived! Thank you!!
Stephanie
Lianne C.
on 9/26/11 12:00 pm - Garden City, MI
I am one that goes by the beer method and it works better for me than the mother's milk. I drink one beer at night right before bed, wine also works... At least the red wines. Also try upping your water intake. I always find something to do while I am pumping and drink almost a bottle of water while I am doing it. It helps me to relax and keep my mind off how much milk I am producing. I always spend that time checking my facebook and e-mail, and before I know it, I have filled up a whole bottles worth.

Good luck, I hope something helps you!
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
sjburt1
on 9/27/11 11:41 am
I'm just mastering playing with my phone while I'm pumping! I don't know that I can drink and pump!! I have a 24 oz water bottle that I drain 4-5 times a day as it is. I don't like beer and I'm not a big wine drinker, but if all else fails I'll do it!! It's for the baby girl!!! :) I get 2  15-20 minute breaks to pump and I use my 30 min lunch break too, I also pump after she goes to bed. Thank you!!
Stephanie
Kimberly Z.
on 9/26/11 9:49 pm - MACEDONIA, OH
I would try drinking it at the higher amt and then you can always cut back after supply is better. Also eating oatmeal helps. I try to have oatmeal every morning. Another idea to help with keeping up is to add another pumping session. I can't get another one in my work day so I pump at night after my LO last feed. HTH
Kim
Highest /Surgery/Lowest/post preggo
268/242/143/198
Mom to Eli 11-15-2009 and Olivia 7-2-2011
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
sjburt1
on 9/27/11 11:44 am, edited 9/27/11 11:47 am
I upped it today. We'll see if it helps! I pump 3 times at work and after she goes to bed. Do you eat instant oatmeal or the stuff that you have to cook?  Thank you!!
Stephanie
Kimberly Z.
on 9/27/11 2:00 pm - MACEDONIA, OH
I usually just eat the instant stuff depends how much time I have in the morning!
Highest /Surgery/Lowest/post preggo
268/242/143/198
Mom to Eli 11-15-2009 and Olivia 7-2-2011
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Keya L.
on 9/27/11 12:13 am - St. Paul, MN
There's also a cookie you can make. Google "Lactation Cookie Recipe". I SWEAR by these! There's brewer's yeast in them, which is what is also in the beer others have suggested. These stupid cookies saved me :)
If you're not a big "beer" person, I HIGHLY reccomend adding more chocolate chips than the recipe calls for, oh and store them in the freezer after making them (eat them right from the freezer). They taste WAY better frozen.
sjburt1
on 9/27/11 11:47 am
I saw those when I googled the Mothers Milk (or whatever else i was looking up about lactation), they looked interesting! What if I did chocolate chips and pb chips? Would that be bad with the other flavors? I love banana bread from the freezer so eating frozen baked goods is not new for me! Thank you!!
Stephanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Preganancy Weight Gain
nko_88 · 3 replies · 1359 views
Procare prenatal vitamins?
liz52408 · 2 replies · 920 views
Glucose test
marianacc · 9 replies · 1412 views