Siamak Agha MD PhD’s Posts

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 1/20/10 12:13 pm
Topic: RE: when to consider plastic surgery
There is a lot of information on my website about Plastic Surgery after weight loss with a whole section dedicated to post-bariatric procedures and many before and after photos.  You may find the information helpful.  You can also download a copy of my patient guide to body contouring.

All the best,

Siamak Agha MD PhD
Board Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society of Plastic Surgery
Specializing in Post-Bariatric Plastic Surgery
www.plasticsurgerycal.com

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 9/22/09 1:17 am
Topic: RE: Abdominoplasty Question
Yes.  Your surgeon is correct. Sometimes a panniculectomy is necessay to help you with the discomfort of the pannus.  It is totally your call.  This will be covered by insurnace, and the results typically do not look very nice.  A formal abdominoplasty will also be needed in future once you have completed your weight loss.

Good luck,
Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 9/22/09 1:00 am
Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 8/10/09 7:01 am
Topic: RE: back fat
I is called a transverse or bra-line upper body lift.  You can have a several back rolls removed at once, typically combined with a breast lift.  On e of the auto-augmentation procedures is called a Spiral flap and was described by Hurwitz and myslef in 2005.  There are a few other variations that are performed nowadays.

For more information on the different procedures, you can download a copy of my complientary booklet:  www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/b/

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 8/4/09 12:27 pm
Topic: RE: Tummy Tuck - Not too happy - Gallbladder scar
It seems that you had selected the right Plastic Surgeon and he he had done his best;  considering a difficult and challanging cir****tance.   
Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 8/2/09 3:39 am
Topic: RE: Ok, first two questions from the PS newbie
Crunches will not really make that much of a difference since your PS will be tightening your abdominal muscles.  However, cardio does help to get you fit and prepared for the surgery.  Also, nutritional supplements are necessary to decrease your complication rate (see http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/learning-center/enhanced-recovery-after-surgery/)

Regarding the weight, as I tell all my patients, it is not important how much is removed, it is more important to concentrate on how much is left behind.  This surgery is about sculpting a feminine hour-glass figure (see gallery-http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/gallery/post-bariatric/ ). 

If too much is removed, as often done, then you will have a masculine figure rather than curves....This concept is the basis of the "High-Definition Body Lift"  that was publised in the OH magazine a few mo nths ago.

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 8/2/09 3:04 am
Topic: RE: LBL vs Inner Thigh Lift (long incision)
The LBL and the vertical thighplasty procedures are rarely influenced by one another.  That means you can do one or the other first or combine them in one setting.  I sometimes do the vertical thighplasty first with another procedure.  I then perform a LBL with a Spiral Thigh Lift during the subsequent procedure. 

The vertical thighplasty is a reductive procedure.  It reduces the circumferance of ur thigh only.  The Spiral thigh lift is a complete lift.  Together with a LBL, it lifts the outer, front, inner, and back of ur thigh.  All weight loss patients will need a thigh lift.  Some will benefit from a reductive vertical thighplasty in addition. 

To learn more about Post-bariatric Plastic Surgery Procedures, you may download my complimentary booklet at www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/b/  or visit my website at www.plasticsurgeycal.com

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 8/2/09 2:51 am, edited 8/2/09 2:52 am
Topic: RE: Tummy Tuck - Not too happy - Gallbladder scar
Dear Sandra:

Sorry to hear about your situation, but as many of your friends have mentioned above, you really have to do your research when it comes to Plastic Surgery.  Going to someone who specializes in post bariatric and Body Contouring is always helpful to start with.  The open gallbladder scar is always  a challange for the Plastic Surgeon.  Honest communication is necessary at this point.  However, the patient may not always want to hear the Plastic Surgeon who talks about potential complications or an inverted T (Fleur-de-lis) abdominoplasty.  Instead a Plastic Surgeon that does not talk about these issues may be selected.  If you were my patients, I would have approached this problem by offering you 2 options: 

1) A Fleur-de-lis tummy tuck will give you longer incisions but in most cases can remove the open gallbaldder scar. 

2) A conventional abdominoplasty-  but you have to realize that your complication rate will be much higher since the abdominal tissue under the scar may have decreased blood supply and thus the wounds can open up.  If that happens, you will need dressing changes and a revision.

Also, always look at before and afters of the chosen surgeon.  Demand quantity and quality.  Do not hope that your surgery will be different or better....

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 6/26/09 12:33 am
Topic: RE: TT vs. LBL
The decision to have TT or LBL really depends on what you want and the shape that you are trying to achieve.  If you have a moderate degree on waist tissue laxity, you really will need a LBL to get outer thigh lift and an hour-glass look.  To learn more, you can downlaod a complimentary copy of my guide to post-bariatric surgery at:

www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/b/

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 6/26/09 12:27 am
Topic: RE: New to board & many questions
To learn more about various procedures and newer techniques for post-bariatric patients, you can down load a copy of my Patient Guide Booklet at

if you wish.

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 5/27/09 12:13 pm
Topic: RE: Consultation Advice
There is a whole section of my website allocated to different post-bariatric plastic surgery procedures, including the newer techniques specific to weight loss patients.  Also, you can read about recovery after Body Lift under patient resources, and preparation for surgery and nutritional optimization under learning section....

See www.plasticsurgerycal.com

You can also download a copy of my patient guide to post-bariatric body contouring at www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/b/

Regarding your choose for plastic surgeon, look for
- Board certification in Plastic Surgery
- Specilization in Post-bariatric Plastic Surgery
- Publications in the field of Post-bariatric Plastic Surgery
- But most importantly, look at his/her gallery- look for experience and results.  This is the most important assessemnt since what you see is what you get...

To see my gallery, view:

http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/gallery/post-bariatric/

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 5/9/09 12:36 pm
Topic: RE: theighs
I checked your pictures.  Although not the clearest, I do not think that your thighs are too difficult.  See my site for really big thunder thighs that have been corrected with a Spiral thigh Lift, Liposuction and Vertical Thighplasty.

Feel free to reach me with any other questions.

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 5/9/09 12:16 pm
Topic: RE: Compression garments, protein intake and vitamins post op to encourage healing......
I start all my patients on ProCare nutritional supplementation.   This is because most patient will have deficiency of protein, amino acids, vitamin A, C, B1, B6, B12, folate, iron, zinc, selenium and a few other vitamins that are not so important.  I reviewed this topic in a recent publication for Plastic Surgery Journal titled: Nutritional Deficiencies of Post-bariatric Body Contouring Patients: what every plastic Surgeon must know.  You can read the abstract on my site: http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/learning-center/articles-booklets/

All the mentioned vitamins are important in boosting your immue response and for optimal healing.  See: http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/plastic-surgery/post-bariatric-body-contouring/consultation/

This is the subject of my follow up publication in Plastic Surgery Journal that came out in December.  The reality is that the doses needed for optimal healing are much higher than a standard multi-vitamin.  The doses needed can be up to 10 X higher.  In my pratice, I have been able to reduce my patient's complication rate by 1/2, using ProCare nutritional supplement.  This product is specifically formulated for the post-bariatric body contouring patient.  See http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/learning-center/enhanced-recovery-after-surgery/

Best wishes,

www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com
Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 5/4/09 11:31 am
Topic: RE: BL or BA?!?!
I feel that I already know everyone on this page? Cute.

Ok the best procedure for the breast lift for weight loss patients is the "Dermal Suspension Mastopexy" that was described by Peter Rubin and Myself in 2005.  This is a method of reshaping the breast tissue and anchoring it to the chest muscle beofre draping the skin over it.  It is different than the standard Wise-pattern mastopexy that most PSs use. 

Regarding auto-augmentation, there are several variable techniques.  The one that Dennis Hurwitz and I descried in 2006 is called the Spiral flap and it uses your own upper abdominal and upper back tissue to augment your own breasts.  This is a complex procedure and NOT offered by most PSs.  Since then we have described a few modifications.

Again, these are techniques that are at the forefront of Plastic Surgery after Weight Loss.  I willl be reviewing these and other techniques to other plastic surgeons in a teaching course  this week at Vegas at the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons.  This is the biggest international meeting of cosemtic PSs annually.

Plz visit my websites for more informaton on these techniques:

http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/plastic-surgery/post-bariatric-body-contouring/breast-reshaping/

See my gallery for examples of these techniques at:

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 5/1/09 6:08 am
Topic: RE: Legal advice on unsatisfactory TT results
Is this a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon?

If so I would try to talk to him on the phone and email him pictures.

If you do not succeed, you can always report him to the medical board and also American Society of Plastic Surgeons?
Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 4/29/09 3:59 pm
Topic: RE: total body lift and new demensions
Various procedures including total body lift and High-definition Body lift are covered in my Patient Guide to Post-bariatric Plastic Surgery.

You can download it at:

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 4/29/09 3:58 pm
Topic: RE: Back Fat - Upper Body LIft
Various procedures including bra-line upper body lift are covered in my Patient Guide to Post-bariatric Plastic Surgery.

You can download it at:

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 4/27/09 11:00 pm
Topic: RE: LBL Quesiton
I can not tell without seeing you.  U can email me pictures for me to see to [email protected]

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 4/27/09 2:13 pm
Yes.  Most PSs completely miss the point.  The point being that the female body has many curves that need to be restored after a Body Lift.  A LBL will flatten your butt no matter how big your butt is?  Also in many cases the butt. is large as a result of a lower back/hip roll not that it is large itself.  The butt becomes flat and wide after weight loss.

See my gallery to view some of the patients who appear to have a large butt pre-operatively.  After buttock recoutouring, the butt width is decreased and projection is enhanced.

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 4/27/09 1:37 pm
Typically Plastic Surgeons use the term LBL loosley.  In my practice, it means a circumferentail abdominoplasty, outer thigh lift and buttock lift.  Most of my patients also will want buttock augmentation with their own lower back tissue since a LBL flattens the butt.

To learn more about various Post-bariatric Plastic Surgery procedures, you can download a copy of my patient guide at:

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 4/24/09 4:20 am, edited 4/24/09 4:21 am
Topic: RE: Boobie aug - under skin or muscle?

There is really not much of a choice.  If you are post-bariatric, your mammary fold and skin will not keep an implant in place for a long time.  The best option is internal reconstruction of the mammary fold to reinforce it and then implant placement under the muscle. Most people will require a breast lift and the best one designed for post-bariatric patients is the "Dermal Suspension Mastopexy" pioneered by Peter Rubin and myself. 

For more information on various post-bariatric procedures and photos, see:

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 4/19/09 10:43 am
Topic: RE: Thigh lift pics?
Unfortunately, the terminology is not consistent in Plastic Surgery and PSs use the terms loosely.  "Plasty" means moving tissue from one location to another to create form.

Cindy, in my opinion and in my presentations (as in the UCLA one last week), I use the inner thigh lift as a Lift Procedure.  This is the same as the medical thigh lift.  I use the vertical thighplasty as a means of reducing the horizontal laxity.  This procedure will leave a scar from the groin to the inner knee.  I rarely have to use it. 

Most my patients are very satisfied with the Spiral thigh Lift which is a lift and a reductive procedure.  It works well for the milder horizontal laxities (most patients). 

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 4/19/09 10:22 am
Topic: RE: Thigh lift pics?
The medial or inner thigh litf is the standard thigh lift procedure that is performed by most Plastic Surgeons.  However, in my opinion, it underserves the post-weight loss patient.  Thus I do my signature Spiral Thigh Lift procedure  for the post-bariatric patient.  This procedure lifts the back, inner, front and outer aspect of the thigh. The procedure starts at the back of the thigh in the butt crease under your butt and extends at the groin crease.  The butt crease and the groin crease are then meticulously reconstructed (extremely important since otherwise you will see the scars through underwears.  To look at a reconstructed groin crease after thigh lift, see:

http://www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/index.php/plastic-surgery/post-bariatric-body-contouring/thigh-lift/

Look at my post bariatric gallery.  Every patient has had the Spiral thigh lift.  If you do not see the scar, it is beacuse it is well placed and reconstructed.

Finaly look at the pictures that were just put up by one of my patients.  She had a lower body lift, buttock augmentation and Spiral thigh lift. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/totalfreedom/

You will notice her scars under her new butt., but the inner thigh scars are well covered in an underwear.  The way it should be.   I can tell you that her groin incisions also look very good.  Plz ask her.

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 4/14/09 4:45 pm, edited 4/14/09 4:46 pm
Topic: RE: panniculectomy
They are completely different.  A panniculectomy removes the excess pannius.  It normally takes about 1 hour.  The scar is not well placed and there is no muscle tightening.  Some PSs excise the navel and use staples for closure.  I personally hate doing them since they do not look good.  It is a functional procedure not a cosmetic one. 

To learn more about different tummy tuck and post-bariatric Plastic surgery procedures, you can download a complimentary copy of my Patient Guide at www.plasticsurgerybodycontouring.com/b/

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Siamak Agha MD PhD
on 4/10/09 4:58 am
Topic: RE: I need some schooling!
You have to understand that a LBL and thigh lift is a lot of work.  Most Plastic Surgeons are not trained to do these procedures well, especially the tight lift.  Thus they would sell you A BA and TT instead.  Only the one who is offering you the LBL and thigh lift is being completely upfront with you.  That is eaxactly what all my patients want and get + Buttock augmentation with their own tissue.  Understand that the female physique embodies the true sense of a 3-D form.  If you want to get the best results, an hour glass look with curves in front, sides and back, then you really have to get the buttock augmentation, LBL, and thigh lift.  All the rest is just a half ass job....

Again, pictures say a thousand words...

If you send me an email, I can email you a copy of my High-Definition Body Lift publication.  You can reach me at [email protected]

Good luck,

Siamak Agha MD PhD

Most Active