Freaking out, thinking of cancelling brachioplasty. Need input, please.

MissNexxie
on 9/27/17 9:33 pm, edited 9/27/17 10:09 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

I'm scheduled for bra line lift and brachioplasty on Oct 19. Originally it was going to be only the bra line lift, but, I thought if my surgeon is nearby already (re: surgery area) let's get the arms done, too.

I was o****il I started reading all the older 'brachioplasty' posts on the OH PS forum about people's experiences with the surgery and now I'm actually considering canceling the arms. Thanks "Search" function. So many people reported issues with wound opening, severe swelling, ongoing nerve/numbness issues, tightness and long term loss of range of motion that I'm not sure it's worth it. Funny thing is today I paid the last of the fees. It seems like so many more people had issues than had normal recoveries.

And then someone asked if the IV goes in the foot or the neck since the arms are unavailable and that did it for me.

I don't remember having these fears for the abdominoplasty, BL, or rear belt lift/lipo so this in itself is freaking me out.

Any words of wisdom? Anyone have these same surgeries done together? How was your recovery?

My arms are not super bad but do bug me because of the crepe-like skin that makes a slapping sound at times and the cottage cheese BUT I'm trying to figure out if this is one of those "Don't get it if you really, really, don't need it" surgeries because of the horrible recovery and resultant scars. The skin hangs but, does it hang enough? Do I put this in the same category as a breast lift (which was really easy recovery) or up there with the medial thigh lift which is supposed to be the hardest recovery out there?

Did you wear compression garments right out of surgery or Ace bandages first? I purchased a compression bolero with wrist length compression sleeves but now am wondering how I'm going to get the thing on if I can't bend my arms? Maybe I should do my arms if/when I get my medial thigh lift? Are individual sleeves better? My surgeon isn't insistent on compression so it's my choice.

Oh man, I sound like a crazy person (and I'm not. really). I'm just super freaked out. Anyone have insight they can share?

ETA: I had no post-op complications with any of my other surgeries other than severe, horrible constipation requiring a hospital trip (and ensuing medical 'interventions') after the first surgery (abdominoplasty/breast lift) which I prevented during subsequent surgeries with my friend, Colace. And I'm not worried about the bra line lift whi*****ludes lipoma removal, just the brachioplasty. Am I right to be worried or overthinking things?

So, yah. Not sure what's going on. Other than i need to STOP reading the internet.

Take care.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

airbender
on 9/28/17 7:18 am

to a certain extent if you didnt worry about surgery I would think there was something wrong. You do get to a point you decide if it is worth it. it is surgery, all surgery carries risks. if you do a search on aspirin you would never take any, and at this point in time, aspirin would not be accepted by the FDAs requirements. just examples

Yes i would do my arms at the same time, keep in mind i dont have any pics, how much they bother you etc. but the other stuff....no that is just surgical complication can happen to anyone anytime (medial thighs are high)

just relax, get quiet with yourself. take care of yourself etc....I would do it at the same time.....

good luck in your journey

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Heather L.
on 9/28/17 7:35 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

Okay, to answer your questions (I had my brachioplasty in May):

• my IV went in my hand.
  • I went home in Ace/Tensor bandages. My surgeon put me in my compression crop top at my two-day post-op appointment. I wore that for six weeks. Because it opened at front and back (separating into two sleeve pieces, basically), my arms did not need to bend to put it on, but I definitely needed help for the first couple of weeks.
  • I had two small areas which got aggravated and took their sweet time healing, but no true wound openings.
  • while my range of motion was severely restricted for almost two full months, it's back 100% now. You have to be diligent about doing your stretching exercises, though. Even when they hurt/feel weird.
  • I definitely have some numbness in areas where my surgeon did lipo, but it's getting better as time goes by.

I would get my arms done all over again, in a heartbeat. I am so happy with the results and, yeah, even though my scars are extensive, they're worth it. There's a bunch of photos in my profile, if you're curious. Note to self: post some updated ones soon.

You'll do great! The biggest issue for me post-brachioplasty was not being able to do anything for myself for the first three days. It was frustrating having to rely on someone else for all my needs, but once I could feed myself things got better much quicker.

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

Leslie W.
on 9/28/17 7:40 am - Cobourg, Canada

IV goes in the hand.

I did not have to wear compression for arms. For breast just a good sports bra.Got one that closed in front.

Arms healed well only had a small area in armpit that took a little extra time to heal. I also did a medial thigh lift. Actually had 2 lifts for thighs spiral and medial. Arms and breast a walk in the park to those.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Laura in Texas
on 9/28/17 9:05 am

I love my arms now and would do it again in a heartbeat. My arms are fabulous, scars and all. I get lots of compliments on them.

I had no issues after my brachioplasty. I was in an ace bandage for 3 days then I wore compression sleeves. By day 10 I felt fine and my arm function was pretty much back to normal.

Only you can decide if you want them done. If they don't bother you, then don't. If you are just scared, that is normal.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MissNexxie
on 9/28/17 10:15 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Thanks everyone. I think stress relating to surgery costs got to me, plus, hours of online searching for 'helpful' information took me to a bad head space. At some point, too much internet information crosses over from informative to fear-mongering for me and my control tendencies.

lI will be having the surgery and have booked another quick consult Q&A with my surgeon for next week so that should help. I also had a big talk with DH *****minded me that doing it now at 49 will be easier with better results than waiting into my 50's and dealing with being older and any other health issues that could crop up. I'm strong now and have the time as does he to assist in recovery and that's a huge plus. He also helped me to look at the long term picture of how the skin removal now will be beneficial as I age when skin sags even more and can become medically challenging.

So onward and upward. I will over-prepare as usual but I'm ok with that. I just needed a little soothing from those who've had brachioplasty success. Thank you, everyone.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

SallyCat
on 9/28/17 3:38 pm
VSG on 10/17/16

I went back and found a post I had made back in 2007 after my surgery.

I'm single with no family around. I had brachioplasty and breast lift with augmentation on Tuesday July 3rd. I stayed in the hospital for three nights but after that I was pretty good. I was back at work full time on Monday and driving by Tuesday. Lifting my arms has been the biggest problem. I filled baggies with ice and kept them close to the freezer door so I wouldn't have to reach to get ice cubes. I kept bottled water and crackers near my bed. No problems wiping. Hair brushing and blowdrying was probably the hardest. I washed my own hair from the beginning. Just had to bend my head forward in the shower. I wore ace bandages around my arms. You'd be surprised how quick and fast you learn to do it yourself if you have to. I'm still wearing paper tape on my incisions. What took me about an hour to apply the first time now takes about a minute and a half. You'll do great! First week stinks but after that it gets better. I was cleared for full exercise at two weeks. I didn't really feel back to normal till about 4 weeks though. I'm still having trouble raising my arms fully. Something isn't right there. But it's getting better all the time. As long as I'm seeing some progress I'm ok with it. I may start freaking out when the progress stops.

As you can see, I did have some problems raising my arms. My surgeon told me later that she had been worried. After my case she quit doing arms and breast lift at same time. She said they worked against each other. It has been over ten years so I don't know if she is still doing things the same way or not. Anyway, long story short, I loved my arms and had no regrets even with the problems. I obviously had a regain... and my arms suffered a bit with that, but they still look 1000 times better than they used to.

HW: 375 SW: 282 CW: 167 GW: 159

Gwen M.
on 9/28/17 6:32 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I feel like I'm going to have similar thoughts between now and my next/last surgery. Blah!

You can do it, it'll be great, the results will be wonderful.

I had no wound openings, I still have some numbness right at the incision line, my scars are looking awesome, no swelling at this point, every so often I feel tight, I have full complete range of motion.

My IV was in my wrist.

I went home with ace bandages and got my compression garment at my first post-op. The sleeves hook in back. I'm not sure I could have pulled on a vest-type garment.

I wouldn't want to combine arms with legs, since that might make getting up difficult. The brachioplasty part of my recovery was really quite easy :)

I don't think you sound crazy!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mschwab
on 10/4/17 2:23 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

I just had a brachioplasty and breast lift on Monday. I am still early out, but I feel great. I am in ace bandages, but can move to compression garments tomorrow. So far, so good and a piece of cake next to the TT. My IV was in my foot, but really not a problem. I actually liked it better than the hand because it didn't pull when I moved. Sounds weird, but don't fret about it. It is fine. You will be fine.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/9/17 8:58 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I I've scanned the other possts, so I hope Im not repeating too much. I had extended arm lift and breast lift last year.

There was something unusua about the IV, but I forget what - maybe both arms and they used the one that wasn't being worked on _ i don't rememebr a foot being involved. It permits better access, which me was important - my arm lift started 3 in below my elbow.

The "bolero" that the dr gave me had hook and eyes in the back. I bought a spare that did not and I added them. If your's does not - you can add them.. Here is a site that sells hooks and eyes (together) by the yard . http://corsetmaking.com/category/bra-hook-eye-tape.html

I also was conservative - so my scars look pretty good. I did not have any splits, etc. I had someone help me in the morning and evening the first few days - cut food, ect. I did not use my arms. To eat, while I had the ace bandages on, I used a long handled wooden spoon and a barbeque fork because I could not bend my elbows. DId not use the computer much because swelling pooled above my elbows for 2-3 weeks. I had an extended arm lift - if you just have a short lift at your biscepts - you might have a shorter time of it.

Sharon

Most Active