Recent Post-Ops: Check In!

Gwen M.
on 8/28/17 10:43 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi all! I wish we had a weekly (or bi-weekly?) post like some of the other forums do, just to check in and touch base with each other.

I feel like the pool of people who lose massive weight is already so small and then that the pool of people who pursue reconstructive surgery after MWL is even smaller.

I'm post-two ops now. 84 days post-LBL/brachioplasty and 14 days post-UBL/mastopexy. It feels like it's been MUCH longer than 14 days since the second operation because I'm feeling GREAT. I had blocked out two weeks on my calendar because I figured I'd want to do nothing, especially given the first two weeks of recovery from surgery #1, but I've been feeling super. I went to see movies the first weekend post-op, I drove that weekend too. I've been grocery shopping. I lay in the grass to watch the eclipse.

I have had a horrible bout of insomnia but that's a Gwen-thing, not a surgery thing. I've actually been okay sleeping on my back thanks to this crazy huge U-shaped pillow I got. I'm allowed to start sleeping on my side "2-3 weeks post-op" so hopefully that'll start to feel comfortable soon.

My follow-up at 8 days was awesome. It's weird to know that the nurses at the hospital didn't think I'd only had a lift. It's super weird to know that my breasts are effectively "public information" thanks to my surgeon's instagram. I seriously love them and I can't wait to be able to wear non-uniboob bras. :) But I will wait, because I don't want to spend money.

My next follow-up is at 4 weeks post-op and then it'll be time to start doing the post/pre-op combination appointments for the last of my reconstructive surgeries.

w00t!

As far as the LBL/brachioplasty recovery is going? Things are good. My scars are slowly fading and looking great. My abs are still sore for things. If I'm still swollen, I'm not aware of it. I'll be cleared to start light exercises in two more weeks and then full exercise in four weeks. I'm going to work on building up my arms and abs as much as I can before surgery #3.

So how the heck are the rest of you doing who are still in the post-op phase? Please tell us what you had done and how recovery is going? How are you feeling about your results?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Heather L.
on 8/28/17 11:12 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

Hi. My name is Heather and it's been 112 days since my bi-lateral brachioplasty. ;)

Coming up on four months post-op from my arm lift and things are amazing! My scars did get a little hypertrophic (which is normal for me), but I expect them to fade with time as all my other surgery scars have done. There is this one big lumpy bit on my right chest side which will need a scar revision. I see my surgeon for my LBL pre-op next week (!!!!) so I'll ask if that's something he can do while I'm on the table for that procedure or if it needs more time before he can fix it. There's also a little bit of a dog-ear/pucker at the end of the incision on the right arm I'll ask if he can do anything about, too. It's not a big deal, but it does bug me little bit mostly because the other arm is perfectly smooth there.

I still have a lot of numbness and the sensation of pressure in my arms, but as I get used to it it's less and less disconcerting.

But, honestly, even with those few small things, I am so freaking happy with my surgery, my healing, my results and how amazing it feels to just be able to go about my life without constantly thinking about my arms and how flappy and embarrassing they are. I notice when people notice my scars, but that's nothing to how it felt when people noticed my hanging, stretch-marked wings. I'm freaking PROUD of my scars.

My shoulder freckles are coming along nicely and i am enjoying my back tan immensely. I'm sewing up all the sleeveless tops and dresses for myself and wondering how I ever survived a summer with an extra layer of sweater or sleeve on. So hot!

Oh, I made it three months without needing deodorant. My right armpit started getting a little musty by the end of the day at about 14 weeks post-op. I still don't sweat much, so a light application of a natural deodorant does the trick. I'm not super excited about it, but it's still so much better than pre-op.

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

Gwen M.
on 8/28/17 11:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Woo! It sounds like you're doing wonderfully!

The numbness is weird, isn't it? For me it's greatest in my LBL area, then my arms, but pretty much none at all with my breasts and UBL, which is weird!

And the deodorant thing. I haven't worn deodorant since my surgery, although I have had to shave since I've got like 20 armpit hairs total :P I went to SkyZone right before surgery #2 and worked up a sweat and then, that night, I was shoving my armpits in my partners faces and all like "OMG, THEY DON'T SMELL." It was amazing.

But good to know that this might change with time - I will be prepared for that potential!

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Heather L.
on 8/28/17 3:26 pm - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

Oh, yeah, I have a 1x3cm strip of hair in both pits I totally keep forgetting to shave (and, also, I'm a little scared to, if I'm honest). And it's still just my right pit which has re-stunk.

Bodies are SO WEIRD.

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175

Gwen M.
on 8/29/17 7:57 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm at the point now where I feel safe shaving over my incisions. Well, like 99% safe. There's still a teeny moment of panic ;)

Deanna798
on 8/29/17 5:38 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Checking in! I'm 10 weeks post op Tummy tuck with Muscle Repair and breast lift. Things are FINALLY getting back to normal for me. I have a small seroma, but after looking at the report, I honestly think it is where my JP drain was placed. It's just about the size of the drain that I had. 12mmx5mmx.5mm thick. I go back to see the surgeon one more time in a few weeks and then I'll be done for the foreseeable future.

I'm still using compression, mostly because it feelsbetter to have a binder on. Ive shrunk out of all of my compression garments (girdles) and need to find a new one that I like.

I FEEL freaking fantastic, other than the crazy swelling I get sometimes. My tummy is sometimes sore to the touch, above my belly button, but I'm not in any real pain. So, all in all I feel like I'm back to 75% of where I was before. My muscle tightening is still really tight, and I have to consciously make myself stand straight, rather than hunching up slightly. Sleeping in the bed it okay if I'm laying on my left side, or my back with my knees bent. Laying on my right side is very uncomfortable for some reason, and laying on my tummy is impossible at this point.

I started back moving more than I was now, and plan to start some basic weight training this week. I also want to start doing some simple stretches to help get me loosened up a little bit.

I took some pics on Sunday as an after, but I don't really want to upload them here. I'm trying to figure out a way to upload them to my google docs and share them with you guys individually. I'll post when I figure it out.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Gwen M.
on 8/29/17 8:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Woo! I am SO very, very glad to read that things are looking up for you!!

If it's just your tummy that needs compression, perhaps Bali/Maidenform compression briefs would work? That's what I ended up switching to, but they're only useful if you don't need compression down your legs as well.

What a HUGE relief that you're doing so well. I've been concerned - I know a number of us have - since it seems like you've just had a hard recovery.

I know that's been a challenge for me with reconstructive surgery. Not many of us do it and then there's this HUGE range of "normal" for recovery, so it's pretty much impossible to know how your own recovery will be until you get there.

FuturePinUp
on 8/30/17 6:50 pm

Yay! Glad to hear you're doing better! I hear you on the compression gear. I wear my surgery-issued abdominal binder every night to bed, and during the day I'm all about the girdle-corset type shapewear. I can't imagine ever NOT wearing compression gear.

I'd love to see your progress photos when you get a chance to upload, etc. :)

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Gwen M.
on 8/29/17 8:32 am
VSG on 03/13/14

And if anyone reading this needs to figure out how to force themselves to sleep on their back for an extended period of time, I can't recommend this pillow enough -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6YE2M8/

Heather L.
on 8/29/17 8:57 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

I'm starting to think about my upcoming LBL recovery now and how I'll manage to sleep/sit post-op. Was this helpful for that recovery? Could this in combination with a foam wedge replace a recliner?

Aaaahhhh! So stressful.

Most Active