One Week Follow-Up w/Photo!

FuturePinUp
on 7/28/17 3:51 pm, edited 7/29/17 2:19 pm

Hello all,

I have just had my one week post-op follow-up with my surgeon. This means that I got my binder taken off, and got a real, good look at my belly and breasts. There are two issues currently, but my surgeon tried to reassure me that they're very likely to resolve with time.

I have one super swollen spot to the left of my belly-button. It's one specific spot (around 3 inches in diameter) and sticks out much more than the other side. When pressed it doesn't hurt. That is the side where I am still draining a substantial amount of dark red fluid so perhaps it's just that. My whole stomach looks totally lumpy and misshapen, but again, I can attribute this to only being a week out. Both of my drains don't seem like they're going anywhere, any time soon.

Here's a photo. You can see the super swelling on the left.

One of my implants really hasn't dropped much. I was advised to start doing a pressing massage on that side to help it along, but again - my surgeon didn't seem concerned. Overall, things seem ok. My tummy incision is red and ragged/swollen but not as bad as I anticipated.

• Did anyone else experience total numbness above their incision post-TT? The whole area above my incision, up to around my belly button, is pretty much completely numb. As I press down towards my sides, more feeling is regained the closer to my sides I get.
  • I was advised to start using Bicorneum. I bought a big bottle and got the go-ahead to start applying to my TT incision and belly button. I will likely get cleared to start using it on my breasts next week (once the tape is removed from those incisions). Any experience with this scar therapy?

So overall, things are moving along and I'm trying to keep my head up. We'll see what happens at my second follow-up next week. I have one more week off from work and am hoping to at least have one drain removed until I go back. They are basically impossible to conceal.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/29/17 4:30 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I'm 6.5 months post-TT and I'm still numb from my belly button on down, pretty much in the pattern you describe. My surgeon said that most people stay numb.

I had scar cream, but it kept rubbing off on my clothes. For the last 4 months I have been using ScarAway silicone sheets (long professional grade, cut in half the long way so I can cover the entire length of my scar with 2.5 strips****ep them on essentially all the time (washing them in the shower). My scar is very smooth and has faded a lot. If nothing else, the strips act as sunscreen when I go to the beach, because I obviously don't know if they are making a difference!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

FuturePinUp
on 7/29/17 2:21 pm

Eeep! Stay numb, like forever? It's such a very, very weird feeling.

I may try both the cream and the silicone sheets. Your scar looks fantastic so I'm sure it wouldn't hurt! :)

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Gwen M.
on 7/29/17 3:16 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I definitely have the numbness - I was told that the numbness around the incisions would go away eventually, but it might take up to a year. The incision itself will always be numb, because that's the way scar tissue is. It is SUPER weird though and my butt is numb and that's WEIRD and it has gotten better but it's just weird. Weird weird weird.

I use Biocorneum at my surgeon's orders. I could start using it once the glue came off. My scars look great, not sure if they'd look great without it, but I'm not opposed to using it!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 7/30/17 3:19 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Strangely, you start to get used to the numbness after a while (somewhat)! I had a facelift at the same time and the numbness there bothered me more but I'm even kind of used to that (though it is subsiding). One ear is completely normal but the other ear is numb in the middle. Most of my face is mostly getting normal except the top of my cheekbones.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

FuturePinUp
on 7/30/17 12:23 pm

The worst is the belly button! I can't feel it at all, and it's one of the areas my surgeon advised me to start applying Biocorneum to. The weirdest, most unsettling feeling!

From what I've read about Biocorneum, it seems pretty impressive, so I am hoping it makes a difference.

Deanna798
on 7/31/17 6:05 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I'll be 6 weeks tomorrow and I'm numb from my incisions. I had a breast lift, with no implants, and they aren't as numb as my tummy tuck scar. It is a strange feeling. Thinking about it makes me cringe.

Looks like you may have a small seroma or just a big old hematoma there. I had a hematoma and my doctor had me start warm compresses on it at about 3 weeks or so and that helped break up the blood some. I did it when I was in the shower. Though, my surgeon had me showering twice a day from day 2, and washing my incisions with Hibiclens, so I have plenty of time to get the warm compresses on it.

My surgeon has his own scar therapy treatment, called TheraScar, that he formulated. It is really expensive. I bought two bottles of it, because they offered a deal, but I will not repurchase it once I run out. I may end up buying some of those scar therapy sheets soon.

Congrats! You look great! It'll get better every day.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

FuturePinUp
on 7/31/17 6:31 am

Thank you for the feedback! I'm really trying not to let my weird swelling issue get me down, but have been struggling. The left side so so much more swollen and still draining dark red fluid, though it doesn't hurt when I push down on that side. The area of swelling is pretty large and it just makes my whole tummy look misshapen.

At my follow-up a few days ago, my surgeon didn't seem overly concerned and wanted to just wait and see what happens in a week, but I'm still freaking out about it! I'm now 11 days post-op.

Being able to shower 2 days post-op is so crazy to me! I was cleared to shower 1 week post-op and I'm so scared when I do! My doctor advised me to just shower with my back to the water, but any other tips for proper incision care? I also have my 2 drains in so, extra paranoia there.

I've been applying my scar therapy but it's such an uneasy feeling to do so to areas of your body that are totally numb! Hahah! The weirdest is my belly button. No feeling. At all.

Deanna798
on 7/31/17 7:08 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Probably a hematoma. Ask your surgeon at your next visit, because I felt like warm compressing worked for me. It doubled my drain output for a few days.

As for showering, I had a shower chair from when my hubby had surgery on his Achilles, so I sat and used the hand held shower head. That way I had control over the water.

As four wound care, I'd definitely ask your surgeon, because each one is different and has their own rules. I know Gwens surgeon used glue, but mine didn't.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Gwen M.
on 7/31/17 11:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I didn't have any requirement to clean my incisions twice a day, but the glue covered EVERYTHING :P I was allowed to shower two days after surgery - I hooked my drains to a lanyard so they wouldn't dangle or get caught and the lanyard was around my neck. I needed help to bathe.

I was told to use gentle soap. I only needed to use Hibiclens the three days pre-op and was told NOT to use it post-op.

Like you, I also use a shower stool and shower wand. It was a great day when I was able to wash myself :) I got permission to use a bath poof at my one month followup and to gently rub it over my incisions while I showered to release any remaining glue.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active