Comebacks for comments when people find out you're having surgery...

Lisa R.
on 4/25/17 1:47 pm - Madison Township, PA

Hello,

I remember early on in my weight loss surgery journey, all the comments that were made...how I would gain all my weight back, because "those people usually do." Well, I proved them wrong. And not to gloat, but it felt really good to make them eat their words.

I guess right now I'm looking for snappy snippets to throw their way when I get the "don't be so vain" and "you're 54, what do you want to do, look 21?" as well as "you're spending your kids' inheritance." Not that I really care what other people think, but it galls me when people have the nerve to judge something that is none of their concern.

Lisa

DS Surgery with Fernando Bonanni, Abington, PA 12/26/07

TT, Lift and Implants with Dr. Christian Kauffman, Danville, PA 5/12/17

My heart wrestles in a kilt

Gwen M.
on 4/25/17 3:00 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I always opt for canned response + subject change. I find that's more effective than being a twit in return.

In this case I'd opt for something like, "That's an interesting opinion, did you catch the latest episode of Game of Thrones? I can't believe they killed [insert name]!"

Or, "That's interesting. How about local sports team? Think the piggers will go all the way?"

Once you have a script, stick to it every single time, with no variation. Eventually people will get the idea. Of course, there's also the option of not telling people about your plastics if they're just going to try to rain on your parade.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Lisa R.
on 4/26/17 10:18 am - Madison Township, PA

I don't plan on telling anyone really. I'm just surprised by people in the past who I thought would be supportive about a lot of things, likes or dislikes or whatever.

So many people have never grasped the concept of if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/25/17 7:27 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

This is tooo funny. About having surgery at my 58 years old, I say CUT BABY CUT, LIPO BABY LIPO. (And I am no Sarah Palin (DRILL BABY DRILL) fan.

Also, as to the "spending your childrens inheritence arguement- that is too too funny. They do not have an inheritance until you are dead and that is IF you leave it to them, Until then IT IS YOUR MONEY.

I have walked away from conversations where I felt someone was being rude or just trying to embarass me. Felt good and they got the message. I am now a year post plastic, I did not feel like this until recently.

Sharon

Gwen M.
on 4/26/17 5:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

"Well maybe I'll die during surgery and my kids will get their inheritance sooner! And be able to sue! Did you ever think of that?! Maybe I'm doing them a favor!"

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Lisa R.
on 4/26/17 10:19 am - Madison Township, PA

That's great, I love it :)

Lisa R.
on 4/26/17 10:27 am - Madison Township, PA

People just seem to like to demean others, for some strange reason. I've fought a battle for years being a pro wrestling fan. I've had people feel the need to enlighten me that it's not real. I tell them that yes it is REAL, meaning it is scripted. Ugh.

Crazeru
on 4/26/17 5:37 pm

I was 58 when I had my first round of Plastics. It was all for me. Best thing I've done for myself after the DS.

PS is the finishing touches to your weight loss journey. After the skin was gone, the boobs back where they were suppose to be and I looked good with scars naked, I felt like a woman again. My self-image and self-esteem shot up through the roof. I'm not bothered by the scars.

It's like frosting the cake. Question to busy bodies, do you frost your cake? Thought so!

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

christinerocks
on 4/29/17 11:50 am, edited 4/29/17 4:50 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

I'm just starting the consult process. I'm 55 and don't plan to tell many folks. As has been noted by others, it won't be noticeable to anyone who doesn't see me naked. Obviously my husband knows!! LOL

Anyway I usually come up with extremely fabulous and witty retorts... an hour or so after I've been insulted. Too late for me!!! LOL But, I promise I'll share anything I come up with, and ask you to do the same - so hopefully we can have them at the ready.

Good luck!

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

elsiealm
on 5/25/17 11:44 am

I do not feel ashamed of my plastics. So when I was planning for it, I was confident about it and people did not ever have anything bad to say about it. I knew I deserved it, and could afford it. Of course, I did it in Mexico, so I got a lot of negativity there. But when I came back looking great, some people ate their words (and changed their minds).

Most Active