Found My Surgeon With One Catch?

FuturePinUp
on 3/29/17 5:55 am

Hello all,

I went back and did another consult with a PS who I found via RealSelf, with highly positive reviews. I met with him at his clinic last night. I was very impressed by his credentials, bedside manner, before/afters of people who look like me, and just everything in general. He basically made me feel, more than the other surgeon I met with, that he was listening and that he could accomplish the results I could only hope to have.

The one problem is - my TT/Breast Lift/Augmentation would be done as an outpatient procedure at his facility. The facility is AAAASF certified, and he is affiliated with several great hospitals in NYC, but I haven't ever considered that this would be anything BUT an overnight-stay type procedure. I voiced my concerns to the Patient Coordinator, and she assured me that he performs all of these types of surgeries a year as outpatient procedures, with no issues...but still.

I did ask about the option to extend care and she said she would get back to me regarding either a home nurse or a facility, if it would give me peace of mind, but that it's not necessary if I have care at home (which I do). I also have had zero complications and a quick recovery from my initial VSG, and am overall in good health. So, I'm not sure what to think. Google (and a search of this forum) to show that some surgeons do these procedures as outpatient ones, but I guess I just haven't heard anything about it on here from the active members, so I'd like to get some opinions.

Thank you, as always, for your feedback and support!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Leslie W.
on 3/29/17 6:25 am - Cobourg, Canada

I have had all my procedures done as outpatient except for the in my surgeon clinic. Actually better follow up and care than in hospital. Much better to sleep in my own bed.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
FuturePinUp
on 3/29/17 7:41 am

Thank you Leslie! That does make me feel better! I guess I was concerned regarding it since it's not mentioned much on here.

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Leslie W.
on 3/29/17 4:15 pm - Cobourg, Canada

The first time I had as outpatient I freaked a little but when I saw the care I received it was so much better to have in surgeon clinic. I didn't have to compete with the gallbladder. The nurse was right there along with the surgeons. Would not hesitate to have in my ps office.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
NYMom222
on 3/29/17 9:21 am
RNY on 07/23/14

The only procedure I stayed overnight for was my Lower Body Lift, but now after having 2 more procedures I see it more as a formality... as in you are a new patient and I don't know you...than a need. My second surgery breast/arms was longer ...I didn't get back to hotel until midnight....but it was outpatient. Third surgery legs was just as long as first and again- outpatient. That being said I did physically have them in a hospital....

If you have help the need for a nurse or facility really isn't required. I would be more concerned about getting in contact if there was an emergency? In this day and age of computers I was able to email my surgeon directly for general questions I had during recovery... so I didn't always have to wrestle with, is this bad enough to call his service? Even during office hours he was quick to get on the phone.... there were a few hiccups along the way that needed attention...

I am assuming he is Board Certified... you say the facility has credentials, only you can know if you feel comfortable with this.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

FuturePinUp
on 3/29/17 10:19 am

Thank you! That makes me feel better, as well. I just always assumed these procedures needed an overnight.

He provides all of his post-op patients with his cell phone number for questions, and I have his personal email address, as well. I will ask about an alternate contact info. He bounces between 3 local offices all belonging to the same Surgical Group.

Yes, definitely Board-Certified - Dr. Richard Reish.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/30/17 3:52 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I had a TT/facelift and stayed one night in the hospital (my choice). My PS would have done it in his clinic if I preferred (less expense). I was happy to be in the hospital that first night as I found moving around to be really difficult at first and the thought of having to go home in a car that early would freak me out. But that's just me...

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-125 CW: 121

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/6/17 9:36 am

I had all my procedures as outpatient.

even my 360 body lift. it was "challenging"..but is saved me a few $$$. I had a good friend staying with me for a fist 4 days post-op. And another friend stopped by daily for a week after that to help me change dressings and make sure I don't pass out in the shower...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

FuturePinUp
on 4/6/17 1:33 pm

Thank you! That helps a lot.

I will have help at home. I am just concerned about blood clots. Not really because I have any reason to. I am just super paranoid.

I am hoping that, since I won't have to have muscle repair, I will be able to get walking quicker.

Most Active