Post-Op Clothing

emelar
on 3/29/17 2:09 pm - TX

I used a surgeon here in Dallas, but I find they follow similar protocols.

The thing about the compression garment and orthostatic hypertension is for real. The only time I passed out in my life is after I took the garment off and stood up too fast, and then hit the floor. No harm done, but it was scary.

NYMom222
on 3/29/17 6:02 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes a soft long camisole is helpful against your skin...

I did buy a Spanx and use it. Ordered like 2 different styles from Macy's. Dr. M said it had to go from under bust to mid thigh. The one I bought which I can find the link later, was softer and not a torture gaement of steel....I wore the compression for LBL for quite awhile and after the swelling went down and I was 2 weeks or so out I wanted to have something to alternate with.... I was able to use the 'trap door' LOL on both garments fine.

I bought yoga pants from Target that have the roll down waist...that helped with the drains esp. Once the drains were out, I could wear more choices.

I wore button down shirts with my arms in the beginning, and yes a front hook bra....with breast he gives you a sort of 'leisure bra' front hook... but it is not soft material. I had found another one at Walmart pre-surgery and was glad I did... as you have to wear it 24/7 and who wants to wear the same thing all the time, and it was much softer. The breast surgery after a little while is also were I used silicone tape- not for scars but for protection along 'seams' and where my arms rubbed against the side... Again I will get you link later....After maybe 2 weeks he said I could wear tank tops that had the soft shelf bra inside- I bought them at Gap Outlet.

I had my leg surgery in summer and wore Maxi dresses and flip flops.... dresses were so easy all around.... couldn't really maneuver to put anything but slip on shoes on. FYI- This is the one surgery I appreciated having cheap Walmart a toilet riser on the toilet...as the bending the legs thing doesn't go so well in the beginning...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

nancy6
on 3/29/17 10:51 am - Tacoma, WA

Cynthia - your posts are so informative and helpful. Thank you so much!! I have my surgery scheduled for May 22 and am watching this board to get all the helpful hints I can ahead of time and yours are great! Thanks again!

~Nancy~

Gwen M.
on 3/29/17 12:31 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Awesome information, thank you!!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

breathemusic
on 3/29/17 1:52 pm

Just as an FYI since I also had Dr. M, the compression sleeves that I got to wear after the first week or so for my arms was horrible! I mean, it did the job that it was supposed to do, so not Dr. M's fault, but just the way they work was soooo uncomfortable. It's basically 2 sleeves that have bra-hook style closers to connect the 2 sleeves behind you. Well for 1 thing, I couldn't bend my arms in a way that would allow me to hook them myself, so I always had to have help. The other big thing was that the compression sleeves REALLY dug into my arm pits where they ended and I ultimately had to cut up a wash cloth and tuck strips of cloth under the edges of the compression sleeves to try and relieve some of the digging. I never really considered myself the broad shoulder type, so I dunno if that has anything to do with it or not. But basically, I would often only hook 1 hook instead of all of them so it wasn't as tight, or even just not hook them at all for part of the time if I couldn't take it.

If there's any way to get something that hooks in front, or even ask Dr. M ahead of time if he can try to find one that hooks in front that would be ideal! I guess you could technically just wear the one he gives you backwards, but the way we bend our arms means that it's not really holding the sleeves up if it hooks in front. So I was just sort of assuming that one designed to hook in front is probably structured better to not have that issue? Just a guess!

Gwen M.
on 3/29/17 2:03 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Do you think something like this might have been more comfortable?

https://marenagroup.com/gfvm-3-4-length-sleeve-vest/

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

breathemusic
on 3/29/17 2:14 pm

I absolutely think it would have been!! And since you're having arms and breasts done (even if not at the same time) then he might consider it to be suitable to wear for both. The only thing I'd note is that the down side being that your surgery is happening in the summer and wearing those sleeves in this DC heat and humidity is going to SERIOUSLY suck. Of course, you can always opt to wear the vest for the arms and get a different bra thingy for the breasts later.... or just cut the sleeves off? Dr. M orders the garments for you after surgery since he takes measurements to make sure you get the right size, so maybe you can talk to him ahead of time about requesting a particular garment instead of having to go out and purchase a whole new one after getting the one he provides!

I had arms and breasts done at the same time and I still just got the 2 separate pieces to wear (arm garments and the bra). I think partly because he put me in the bra right away and the sleeves didn't go on until after the first week (ace bandages until then because the compression is tight enough that they were actually painful to put on at first). I'd talk to him about the options though, especially if it means you'll be more likely to wear the garment like he wants. I know I definitely stopped wearing the arm sleeves a little sooner than he prescribed because I just couldn't take it anymore.

Gwen M.
on 3/29/17 2:19 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I think I'm just assuming I won't leave the house for a month post-op ;) Which, of course, is completely unrealistic.

I'll definitely talk with him about this at my pre-op in May.

emelar
on 3/29/17 2:16 pm - TX

This would be better. I had a breast lift done with my arms and had the vest thing you linked to. It was way, way uncomfortable at my shoulders and underarms, and generally really difficult to get in and out of. I ended up cutting the arms off and just pulling them on separately. Marena didn't have the garment I linked to at the time, but it would have been perfect.

Gwen M.
on 3/29/17 2:19 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I think that's the type that Breathemusic hated. So maybe it's a matter of personal preference and I should have both so I have options.

Most Active