Surgery scheduled for LBL, BL/BA and arm lift - any helpful hints or suggestions to prepare

katzmeow13
on 3/17/17 6:54 am

Start looking now for that 'rentable' recliner.

It wasn't available here. I was lucky enough. To find one for 150$ used, gave it a good vacuum and steam clean, (I made sure it didn't smell like smoke or urine before buying)

also was lucky enough to have a massage table warming pad and extra cushion pads available along with a liquidation recliner cover. This meant that I had a comfy, heated, reclining and lifting chair! It did make an awful squeaking sound when I used the power recline and lift... but for 150$ I think it is awesome!

I can still spend part of my day in it, at three plus weeks I now sleep in bed. Getting in and out of bed is easier and easier.

you will have the added difficulty of upper body surgery which will make things a little more difficult. You may find it easier to stay in the recliner for sleep as my arms are used a lot to push myself up.

as for the neck discomfort while sleeping. Find a towel or sheet and make a comfortable sized neck roll so that the support is mostly under your neck. It may take a few tries to find what's comfortable. I literally had a bin next to me with pillows of all sizes, blankets, sheets, wedges etc.

i bought a pack of those hospital pee pads and kept one under me in case of wounds seeping/bleeding or drains spilling or even my worse case scenario... weak bladder from med's, surgery and catheter. Thankfully only one was ever taken out of the packet and got tossed clean after the first week. I had also bought the poise underwear liners in case, the walk to the bathroom does take forever that first week. For me it was a just in case thing since a previous emergency ankle surgery had me 'leaking', but that was a spinal epidural which may have affected bladder control for a few weeks.

I bought toilet support bars on Amazon for about $30 they attached to the toilet and added support on the floor. No permanent holes in the wall.

keep the things you are most likely to need on a small table near you. Chapstick, med's, Kleenex, fluids, phone, lozenges, remote etc.

have help available for longer than you think you'll need. Better to have them and not need them than to find your self without.

large high underwear ( found this helps once bandages are off and still wearing binders. Minimum 2-3 sets of big and comfy yoga pant/pj bottoms/tshirts and a comfy sweater. Nothing tight at the waist. If it fits loose now it should be good. Even though they removed 12-13 pounds of skin I find that between the bandages, the binders, swelling etc and not wanting anything tight you will wear the same non flattering mismatched floppy in the wind outfits. Nothing matters except being comfy and staying ahead of the pain.

good luck

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

nancy6
on 3/17/17 7:25 am - Tacoma, WA

Thanks! I have found a rentable chair - I can get one for $125 for a month at "Rent a Center". I actually went yesterday and checked it out and it looks brand new. I just need to get my reservation in 2-3 weeks ahead of time. I'm glad I got that covered as I think it will be very helpful. They told me they rent them quite regularly for a month and it's usually for people having shoulder surgery. I just told them I was having some abdominal and arm surgery. :)

Thank you so much for the other hints and info about your recovery. That helps a lot to hear how things went for you and what worked well. It helps to ease my mind a bit. It's those seemingly little things that I think will help a lot!!

Thanks again and take care!

~Nancy~

Gwen M.
on 3/27/17 5:37 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Did you find that bending over to pull up pants was hard? I'm thinking that loose dresses might be more useful for me.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

katzmeow13
on 3/27/17 6:29 am

I live in Canada and in February I wanted pants and socks. Not much of a dress/nighty person. I sponge bathed and changed once a day, first week or two might have been harder for pants and socks, but I had help. I always made sure someone was home for bathing and showering once the drains were out. Any exertion is best to have someone not necessarily to do it for you... but to be there if things don't go well.

nancy6
on 3/27/17 7:17 am - Tacoma, WA

Good point about having someone around, especially when bathing/showering is important. I know the patient care coordinator said to at least have someone nearby when taking that first shower. But I think your suggestion of having someone around when doing any kind of exertion is wise! Thanks - I really appreciate all the input and suggestions.

~Nancy~

Gwen M.
on 3/27/17 6:30 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Totally makes sense about wanting pants and socks! My first surgery is June in Maryland, so it'll be hot and humid. But my last one might be in colder weather. I'll keep that in mind :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

nancy6
on 3/27/17 7:14 am - Tacoma, WA

I was thinking about the loose dresses as well. I've seen others mention wearing loose pants as well, but I agree the bending over to pull them up (if one doesn't have help) could be tough. Maybe using one of those "grabber" things would help pull the pants up, if needed...

~Nancy~

NYMom222
on 3/22/17 11:29 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I did not rent a recliner as I was in a hotel room, but being you are having all done in one surgery it is not a bad idea.

I used s medical cane not so much for walking but to give me leverage and something to hold onto gettingvip and down bed and toilet. I actually didn't even try sitting on the toilet for a few days, just straddled the bowl.

A footstool next to the bed again helped with getting in and out. Someplace to land my feet and push off of.

As Laura said lots of easy protein and fluids.

I fainted after my first shower, but I didn't eat or drink anything before. I woke up and was so excited this was the day for a shower... went right for it. Don't do that.

I also used sanitary pads as guaze padding, Doc's office suggested it.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

nancy6
on 3/23/17 9:45 am - Tacoma, WA

Thanks, Cynthia. I really appreciate all the suggestions everyone has offered and appreciate your input! I'm a little nervous about doing it all at once, but the prospect of just one surgery and one recovery is what sold me on it! Thanks again for your suggestions. I'll definitely eat a bit of something before that first shower!

~Nancy~

katzmeow13
on 3/27/17 6:31 am

Shower seat important too.

the hot/cold blood pressure thing and it will be the biggest thing you do in a day in the first weeks.

Most Active