First Consult Done...

Nikke2003
on 3/13/17 8:55 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I would definite recommend speaking with a few more people. I spent $19,500 on my first round of surgery for the full lower body lift, breast lift, and extended arm lift.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

NYMom222
on 3/14/17 3:32 pm, edited 3/14/17 8:32 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I live on Long Island...or like as I like to say in these cases "NYC adjacent" LOL... Yes the prices here are very high, So I am going to say that sounds right if you stay in NYC area. I went for five consults...I kept on going because after the first three, I didn't think it was going to happen with those prices.

The two near NYC that will come out cheaper even with travel, and even if your insurance may or may not cover the panni. I want to say even if the Doctor isn't a participating Doctor in your plan, if the hospital participates in your plan, you may get some of that covered.

Dr. Joseph Capella is in Northern New Jersey, about 30 minutes over GW Bridge. He uses Hackensack Medical Center. I ended up not choosing him but he was in my final two. :)

Then the Doc I did use and have no regrets traveling to DC for was Dr Joseph Michaels. I sent pictures and did a phone consult first. His link is in my signature below, and I am always willing to talk more about my experience.

I would also question not needing a full Lower Body Lift after losing 200lbs.

I found all 5 consults very informational...all the Docs were incredibly nice, face it..they are trying to sell themselves. They all have a little different take on the same surgery...it is an art as well as a science.

The 8K average you are seeing... is 8K for each piece of the procedure. So 8K tummy tuck - panni doesn't cover as an extensive area as a TT as well as it does not include muscle tightening. 8K Breast Lift, plus more for Augmentation. One of my quotes- from a Doc I didn't pic was 8K if I wanted Augmentation on top of what ever the Breast Lift was...I am not remembering all numbers now.... So yeah, $19,000+ totally possible.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

FuturePinUp
on 3/15/17 6:30 pm

I have reached out to Dr. Capella but his office hasn't really gotten back to me and his availability seems very slim. When I last spoke to them, they wanted to schedule my consult 4 months from the day I called, and never got back to me to confirm the appointment.

I have seen wonderful things about Dr. Michaels but I'd really prefer to be local for the surgery because hubby and I just got rid of our car and I have lots of family nearby that can help/drive.

The $19,500 was JUST for the lift/augmentation. The surgeon would do a full TT with the insurance coverage - no additional out-of-pocket. So if I wanted to go ahead with just the TT, I could do so tomorrow and put no money in additionally. I just received my full cost explanation and it confirmed this.

I have another consult scheduled in 2 weeks with a surgeon I found on Real Self. I am also looking for an additional doctor or two to consult with.

For what it's worth, all of my fat was in my belly area. I really have no loose skin on my arms, knees, butt, back. But I agree, I will wait to see what the other doctors say and go from there.

Thank you!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

NYMom222
on 3/15/17 10:54 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Wow Dr capella must be busy these days. It only took me a month to get a consult and that was just a little over a year ago.

If he hasn't put into your insurance I am not sure how that Doc could say a full TT is covered- no additional out-of-pocket. If nothing else you usually have a deductible for the year you need to meet.

My best advice besides not being afraid to go to multiple consultations, is finding out how often they do these procedures on people who have had massive weight loss. That does make a difference, the quality and quantity of our skin is different. make sure you see pics of people they've done that look like you.

I can't say enough good things about Dr. Michaels. I sent pictures and did a phone consult.

Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

Save

Save

FuturePinUp
on 3/16/17 9:36 am

Yeah. I was very disappointed. I called back in January and was told there would be nothing sooner than April for just the consult.

My surgeon said that if insurance will cover the panni removal, he would convert to a full TT with no additional out-of-pocket. He works really closely with the bariatric clinic that did my sleeve so maybe they put in a good word? Hahah!

I have definitely been looking at before and after galleries of patients whose skin issues mirror mine, and contacting other doctors. One caveat I am finding is that a lot of them are not willing to work with/submit to insurance.

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

AggieMae
on 3/14/17 8:42 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I recently had an upper and lower eye lift that required four separate surgical procedures. Only three were covered by my insurance. I was quoted $2,900 by the surgeons office for the uncovered portion but when the final bill came I only owed $820. over the expected copay.

I think that the way the quotes are figured includes costs that were ultimately are covered by insurance. Partial coverage isn't all that I usual, call the hospital billing department, explain the situation and they might be able to give to a better idea of your actual out of pocket costs.

FuturePinUp
on 3/19/17 1:56 pm

Here's a bad mirror pic of what my back/side looks like. The front is all just hanging skin but the back looks like I've never been super obese. My second consult also recommended just a tummy tuck and not a full LBL. Hopefully that will help save me some money!

NYMom222
on 3/22/17 11:42 pm, edited 3/22/17 4:43 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

You are right your backside looks pretty good... many factors go into the skin issue including genetics. Your arms and legs from this angle anyway also look great.

BTW I still recommend a phone consult with Dr Michaels. He won't take insurance but again out of NY prices are cheaper even D.C.

Save

Save

Most Active