Periods, birth control pills, and plastics

Gwen M.
on 2/24/17 3:52 am, edited 2/28/17 4:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I had a thought last night and figured someone here might know the answers!

1) what happens if I end up having my period when I have my lower body lift?  (This includes a pubic lift, so this seems like it would be inconvenient at best.)  

2) are there restrictions about being on birth control for surgery?  I feel like I had to stop taking BCP two weeks before my VSG - is it the same for plastics?  

I don't take BCP now (because I have a tubal ligation), but I'm strongly considering starting just so I can choose the timing of my periods for the 6-9 months I'll be going through the plastic surgery process.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

grayC
on 2/24/17 4:08 am
VSG on 05/01/13

When I had my plastics, I was not supposed to get my

period for 2 weeks..

I woke up from surgery with it!!!!

I don't know if you have to go off, since I wasn't on at that time, 

but if you can stay on it, I'd start as soon as possible

since your body has to have time to adjust to it.

breathemusic
on 2/24/17 1:41 pm

I have an IUD, which means I rarely have periods now, but even with that, getting surgery actually caused me to have a period.  Which seems to be a common things for people.

If you're not on BCP and mainly want it to choose the timing of periods, might I suggest an IUD?  The hormones are localized so I find that people tend to have fewer side effects (though obviously that varies person to person) and the majority of people find that their periods decrease in both intensity and frequency.  Mine have basically stopped other than the occasional insanely light spotting every few months, though it did take time for that to happen and in the beginning I was spotting off and on for a few weeks, then was getting a monthly period but just much lighter and shorter, and then it just kinda stopped happening at all other than that rare spotting.

Just some food for thought!

Gwen M.
on 2/24/17 7:58 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Thanks!  I actually can't do hormones for long term because they cause my copper to skyrocket. Weird, I know. Which, um, also rules out the copper IUD. Heh. 

I'm just thinking about a short term fix to ensure I don't have my period on surgery days and I'd be happy to go back on Seasonique for the rest of the year to ensure that convenience. :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/17 4:20 am

All I can say is after I got my surgery my boyfriend was like a rabbit! Even in the stoopid compression suit he wouldn't leave me alone . 

So yeah .. I think you need birth control ASAP 

Luvmygs
on 2/28/17 2:42 pm
VSG on 12/04/14

Gwem, I had TT and didn't realize he also did a beautiful pubic lift! It shouldn't be an inconvenient at all. You won't even feel the pubic lift. You'll be too sore in the tummy area. I wasn't bothered by the incision or the pubic lift, it was the new belly button and stomach area that were sore. Not pain, just uncomfortable. Don't forget your WLS was internal surgery, plastics is outer. I wouldn't think you'll need to go off any medication. 

DrL
on 3/6/17 3:33 pm - Houston, TX

Birth control pills pose a small but definite risk for blood clots. Combined with travel, immobilization, and a compression garment (which limits blood leaving from the legs) it's not something to be ignored.

Your surgeon should have a recommendation based on your surgery, expected recovery time, and risk profile for blood clots (nowadays called VTE). Def. want their input on this issue. Happy healing !

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
NYMom222
on 3/10/17 12:52 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Dr M had me come off hormones 2 weeks presurg and stay off 2 weeks post-surgery.

It would be an annoyance but won't get in the way of your pubic lift there isn't a separate suture line they lift it all in one bikini line, if that makes sense.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

katzmeow13
on 3/13/17 6:39 pm

I was told no BCP 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after. Also no aspirin or anti inflammatory (but that is not an issue since I haven't taken any of those since rny

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

Most Active