TT on Thursday!...Recouping after?

dentedsmile
on 2/1/17 6:22 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 10/28/14

I had a similar experience with my RNY bypass, the nursing staff kind of ignored me on my second night and didn't give me 2 separate doses of pain meds the doc came to discharge me in the morning but I was too busy crying from pain to pay much attention, he asked when I'd last been given pain meds (this was at 8am) the nurse comes round and says "6pm last night" he flipped his top lol. I ended up staying a 3rd night as a result...I'm nervous about staying and the same thing happening again....

Referral sent- July 2013 Orientation TWH- July 2, 2014 Social Worker- July 17, 2014 Nurse Practitioner-July 25, 2014 Psychologist - July 28, 2014 Nutrition Class- July 29, 2014  Dietician - July 30, 2014 Nurse Prac. Follow-up (Stress Test) - August 7, 2014 Meet Surgeon (Dr. Ori Rotstein)- September 26, 2014 Pre-op Testing - October 20, 2014 Surgery Date -OCTOBER 28, 2014  

Djmohr
on 2/1/17 12:37 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

I do think it is worse when they have you on IV pain meds. They dont last long but they work fast. I finally got to a point where I said can we stop the IV and move to an oral. The nurses were worried because they knew it would take some time for them to kick in but honestly I was like what is the difference when i am already waiting up to 5 hours for a dose that maybe lasts an hour. So they agreed to switch me over and I improved very quickly after that. Up to that point with the up and down to the bathroom all night it was miserable.

I wish they would have used a catheter that first night at least. Not sure why they didnt, my surgery went 10.5 hours. that is a long time to go with fluids. I literally got back to my room and was asking to use the bathroom. It was way too soon and too disruptive in my opinion and I have had a lot of surgery in my life.

NYMom222
on 2/2/17 11:41 am
RNY on 07/23/14

By the time you see this you will be on the other side, as it is already Thursday. Woop! Woop!

One of my biggest suggestions is write everything down- everything... each pill you take what you eat and when, bathroom, drinks etc... because you will forget from the pain meds, and it helps to keep you on track pain and food-wise, and if you have any problems or side effects you can tell the doc exactly what you did.

Protein, Protein, Protein... you need more protein than usual to heal. Try and get 100+g in even if it means shakes. Just do it.

I slept in a bed from the beginning, just lots of pillows to get comfortable. I had a cane, which helped me maneuver from sitting to standing, and a plastic footstool next to the bed to have a place to land my feet and push off from.

I used an outdoor anti-gravity chair as a recliner with a big fluffy blanket on it...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

dentedsmile
on 2/3/17 12:22 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 10/28/14

*****UPDATE****

So I made it home ok I was discharged same day. Dear God if my sister didn't hit every pothole on the way home lol. 

I've been laid up in bed since..pillows under the knee is helping tremendously. The most annoying thing is lack of sleep if not medically induced. I had to be up once every 1 to 1.5hrs the first 7 hours to empty the drains then add in protein shake and pulls both my normal ones and pain meds thank goodness for the journal suggestion it helps!

Now I'm just basically sitting around doing Netflix and sleeping on and off..

Did anyone else get nauseous when starting to wal****ep getting nauseous if I do more than like 50 steps..

Referral sent- July 2013 Orientation TWH- July 2, 2014 Social Worker- July 17, 2014 Nurse Practitioner-July 25, 2014 Psychologist - July 28, 2014 Nutrition Class- July 29, 2014  Dietician - July 30, 2014 Nurse Prac. Follow-up (Stress Test) - August 7, 2014 Meet Surgeon (Dr. Ori Rotstein)- September 26, 2014 Pre-op Testing - October 20, 2014 Surgery Date -OCTOBER 28, 2014  

Djmohr
on 2/3/17 1:49 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

The only time i got nauseous when walking was due to not enough fluids in my system which left me feeling lighted, dizzy and yup, nauseous. Once I realized this, i became sipping like crazy and it never came back.

Congratualtions on getting through it!

Between my TT and breast augmentation - pain from the TT was rough the first 2 days, then once that was better, pain from the augmentation has been what I am complaining about most. I guess i was suprised how quickly the pain from my tummy subsided when I expected it to the worst of the two.

Hope your recovery continues to go well!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/3/17 6:18 pm, edited 2/3/17 10:18 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

How old is your sister?  That is how long ago your mother's c-section was.  Medicine has improved since then.  As long as someone is around the first night or two, as your dr probably requires, most people are OK.

The biggest help for me was an electric recliner.  I got one from craigslist for $40. steam cleaned, and put a clean sheet over it.  I wish I had it for my other surgery revcovery.  I would not pay $700 for one, but I would not have a surgery without it.

For the WLS, I recovered for the first week at a friend's house because I could not drive.  I wanted to be home in my own little cubby-hole for the plastics.  I stayed with cousins for the first 2 days and then at home.  I did just fine after and really liked being around my home.

Sharon

Djmohr
on 2/5/17 8:08 am
RNY on 09/29/14

Just checking to see how things are going for you? With my TT, the first 3 days were the roughest but then everything improved in my tummy. Just stay away from things that make you laugh or cough.? That can hurt.

each day you should notice your ability to lift your legs by yourself improves, getting up and down improves.

also have you had changes to your appetite? I can eat very little, it is almost like I have full restriction back. Stay away from salt, it can drop you into swell hell.

i wish my chest was doing as well as my tummy.

best of luck to you!

Deb

dentedsmile
on 2/5/17 11:51 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 10/28/14

Ya first 3 days were hell ish lol.  

I now can get up on my own but lowering myself is still difficult sometimes.

I've also noticed I can't eat much so I'm basically eating protein shakes and in the morning 1 mini yogurt with blueberries and then cream of mushroom soup for dinner. 

My drainage tubes were getting clogged with chunky red blood and I'm still at 50+CC a day each side so I doubt when I go for my follow up tomorrow morning he'll take em out which sucks lol but meh.

I'm already glad that after day one I've already been able to lower the frequency of how often to take the percoset because damn thing makes me exhausted and nauseous. 

DEB how much were you walking on the first day? I'm wondering if I'm not walking enough. 

I'm also slightly terrified about seeing my incisions....I'm been bound since Thursday..so I'm a bit nervous...

Margo

Djmohr
on 2/5/17 12:59 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

I di a lot of walking on day 2 but it wasn't easy. I did laps around nurses station several times a day hunched over of course. It is harder to do that at home.

dont fret too much about how things look, your imagination is much worse. I still have a drain in and I will be 3 weeks post op on Thursday. I am hoping to get it out tomorrow or Tuesday. I am actually calling for a prescription refill. Between my chest and left are I am in terrible pain.

i hope this continue to improve for you.

i am hardly eating, no appetite so I am supplementing with premier protein shakes. I just am not hungry at all. I think this is normal.

Most Active